Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:38:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real SCAMS are getting crowded out by fake "So Called Fake Scams" (Thoughts?)  (Read 116 times)
laserfocused (OP)

Activity: 171
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2018, 11:59:18 PM

The term Scam is being used and thrown around so much these days that it has lost its value.  Things that are not actually scams are being labeled a scam.

Lets define the definition as

"A fraudulent scheme performed by a dishonest individual, group, or company in an attempt obtain money or something else of value."

Real Scams in American History

Bernie Madoff
Bitconnect
The Nigerian Scam

Things that are not scams but are being labeled as scams

Late with sending airdrops or bounties Huh
Changing the terms of an agreement
Not honoring the terms of agreement

Although these last two things are not ethical at all they don't classify as a scam.  Business do this all the time.  This is why we have courts and two reputable businesses will end up in court over the other reputable business not honoring the terms of the agreement. Both have their reason's why.  However the losing party of the agreement is not considered or called a scammer.

The biggest one that really pisses me off is when an ICO gets sold out before the person can buy into the ICO, and they have a 2 year old temper tamptrum and start calling the ICO  scam.  "It was a scam because it was a gas war and people paid $200 for gas and they did not put a cap on it so that everyone could participate" to which I say STFU and sit down.   Angry

It just really bugs me so much that Real Legitimate scams that should get more attention are being drowned out by people crying wolf about scams.

Anyway let me know what you guys think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:02:37 AM

Changing the terms of an agreement after the work has been done just to avoid paying what you owe is a scam.

laserfocused (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 02:12:27 AM

Changing the terms of an agreement after the work has been done just to avoid paying what you owe is a scam.

That is called breach of contract.  There is a wider vocabulary than just 'scam', and there are legal remedies for breach of contract.
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 02:00:57 AM

That is called breach of contract.  There is a wider vocabulary than just 'scam', and there are legal remedies for breach of contract.
Are you really interested in other opinions or just looking for a place to excuse illegal behaviour? Breach of contract is a form of scam, if you planned to do it all along it is called fraud and yes there may be legal remedies. But they are difficult and expensive to access across borders. Social shaming is a much more immediate remedy so don't be surprised when people who have had their work or money stolen call it a scam.

laserfocused (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2018, 02:16:35 AM

That is called breach of contract.  There is a wider vocabulary than just 'scam', and there are legal remedies for breach of contract.
Are you really interested in other opinions or just looking for a place to excuse illegal behaviour? Breach of contract is a form of scam, if you planned to do it all along it is called fraud and yes there may be legal remedies. But they are difficult and expensive to access across borders. Social shaming is a much more immediate remedy so don't be surprised when people who have had their work or money stolen call it a scam.

Yes you are correct about the breach of contract when it was planned. If money is stolen the it is a scam.  I want you to stay with me mentally here and not put words in my mouth or draw incorrect conclusions, because the points that you are attempting to argue is not my point and not something that I disagree with.  The point is that everything including people who were not able to get whitelisted, or people that failed kyc, or people, that did not feel the cap was high enough, or they did not get a chance to buy before the ICO was sold out are calling it a scam. Those examples that I gave are not scams.  They are situations in which people were not able to have a desired result.  Since their desired result was not achieved they think/call it a scam.

This is really at the core of what I am attempting to address.
atliens99

Activity: 392
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 11:06:04 PM

breach of contract is a scam in my book.  No other excuse for it.
laserfocused (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2018, 12:58:48 AM

breach of contract is a scam in my book.  No other excuse for it.

Thanks for the comment and posting.

Here is where I agree Iconclast, if they intended to do it on purpose then it is a scam.  However many times breach was never the intent.  Let me give you a real world example.  I spent many years working in the automotive industry as a supplier to the large automakers.  We had agreements in place with the automakers.  Signed contracts. Even with the signed contracts they came back and asked for more money (to cut our costs).  It was either that or lose the business.  In my mind that was a very shady thing to do.

But that is not the meat.  The meat was a result of those cost givebacks.  Our margins went down and we started losing money.  So did other companies.  It became a chain reaction.  As a result man many suppliers were not able to pay their suppliers and went out of business.

So this is a situation in which companies started out with good intentions to pay, as a result of adverse circumstances were not able to.  This is not a scam.  No court in the land would consider it a scam because the key thing as Iconclast pointed out was Intent.
Golberg

Activity: 74

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 01:20:20 AM

if the company changes the rules and conditions, we cant call it scam

EX abou bounty campaign

20.000 alocated for sign campaign, if after several weeks , they dont have alot of participants in this campaign , they can change the rules and cut 50% to alocate to other campaign that have more participants . in this case you cant call it scam .
laserfocused (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2018, 01:33:28 AM

if the company changes the rules and conditions, we cant call it scam

EX abou bounty campaign

20.000 alocated for sign campaign, if after several weeks , they dont have alot of participants in this campaign , they can change the rules and cut 50% to alocate to other campaign that have more participants . in this case you cant call it scam .

Yes but to be fair they should add this to the terms and conditions and communicate that to the group
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: