Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:49:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If change hard-coded IP address in source,  (Read 102 times)
wsxdrfv (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 05:07:37 AM

If there is an coin and running network at public,

If developer change hard-coded IP address in source, and make new client, but it does not conflict with existing node?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
starmyc

Activity: 198
Merit: 130

Some random software engineer

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:36:40 AM

If developer change hard-coded IP address in source, and make new client, but it does not conflict with existing node?

IPs in source code (of old bitcoin clients) & dns seeds are only a way to help discovering other nodes. They are not authority or dictate how the network will behave. Once another nodes are discovered by the client, they don't use this list anymore, as peer information will be stored in the peers.dat database.

Therefore, it one of the clients of the "new" client contacts a node of the "old" client in any way, and protocol doesn't differ, you'll have what you call "conflicts". That's why most altcoins change network ports from their original implementation.

Please note I believe you can't define anymore any node IP in bitcoin's source code, only dns seed which returns IP addresses of nodes.

Hi, I'm just some random software engineer.
You can check my projects: Bitcoin & altcoin balances/addresses listing dumps: https://balances.crypto-nerdz.org/
wsxdrfv (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2018, 07:40:43 AM

IPs in source code (of old bitcoin clients) & dns seeds are only a way to help discovering other nodes. They are not authority or dictate how the network will behave. Once another nodes are discovered by the client, they don't use this list anymore, as peer information will be stored in the peers.dat database.

Therefore, it one of the clients of the "new" client contacts a node of the "old" client in any way, and protocol doesn't differ, you'll have what you call "conflicts". That's why most altcoins change network ports from their original implementation.

Please note I believe you can't define anymore any node IP in bitcoin's source code, only dns seed which returns IP addresses of nodes.
I am working at altcoin's old version source, and want to change  net.cpp 's 1175 line, strMainNetDNSSeed[] 's IP address.

strMainNetDNSSeed[][2] = { {"asdf.com", "13.xxx.xxx.33"}, {"qwer.com", "23.xxx.xxx.33"} } to another.

so in this part, "asdf.com" doesn't matter and only IP address is matter, right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: