Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 05:40:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Facebook Can Be Worth Billions, Why Can't Cryptocurrencies?  (Read 255 times)
yagizpoyraz (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 09:35:18 AM

very nice article

If Facebook Can Be Worth Billions, Why Can't Cryptocurrencies?

https://cryptotown.io/news/if-facebook-can-be-worth-billions-why-cant-cryptocurrencies-coindesk/index.html
12tribes

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 09:49:02 AM

Cryptocurrency is the 21stcentury game changer in today's financial world. The world is waking up to to see the realities of going crypto. The crypto ecosystem can well be over hundreds of billions of dollars in value. Why not 

fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 10:05:11 AM

Bitcoin is still a growing venture. What is the difference between bitcoin and other businesses like as u mentioned facebok, is that it doesnt have limitlesa expansion, which actually is a good thing. There is a cap fixed over number of bitcoins that will ever be issued. This maintains the flow and doesnt lead to any inflation. Now this may appear as a vague comparision. But we all remember yahoo, orkut and many other social networks which dont really have a solid existence today. Thats because its such a vast industry that as soon as a new and better equipped service comes on the game, its over for the older ones.

Here in cryptocurrency market, firstly bitcoin itself is the first of its kind, secondly the anti-inflation cap is also there. These favtors will help it sustain a better position  for a very much longer time. Also its not something where people just pass their time but its an investment platform of its own kind. So definetely its going to be huge in the future, unless governemental issues dont persist.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
clrpod

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 10:15:28 AM

Am I missing something here, they can be worth billions and already are. Facebook's market cap is about 450bn and cryptocurrencies as a whole is at about 300bn, that's only a 1.5x difference. I think comparing crypto to facebook is a strange choice because they're very different but if I had to I would argue it actually shows cryptos to be a little overvalued just based on numbers. It's very incorrect to draw such conclusions because they function so differently and so their values should be very different.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 12:46:25 PM

Am I missing something here, they can be worth billions and already are. Facebook's market cap is about 450bn and cryptocurrencies as a whole is at about 300bn, that's only a 1.5x difference. I think comparing crypto to facebook is a strange choice because they're very different but if I had to I would argue it actually shows cryptos to be a little overvalued just based on numbers. It's very incorrect to draw such conclusions because they function so differently and so their values should be very different.
I think it's not accurate to compare one social network and all cryptocurrencies. And I think that main difference is a numver of users. If I'm not mistaken, Facobook have more than 2 billion registered users. How many people are using cryptocurrencies? Not sure, maybe tens of millions. Just imagine how much Bitcoin and ofher cryptocurrencies would be used by, let's say - 0.5 billion or 1 billion. Then only Bitcoin without other cryptocurrencies would be worth more than Facebook. And there is another thing - after recent scandal, Facebook are loosing it's value.

Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:25:46 PM

This article has a flawed premise and is explained poorly.  For one thing, social networks and cryptocurrencies are almost completely incomparable, and it seems like the writer could have picked out literally any major company and claimed that their market cap is somehow relevant.

I do agree with the assertion that different features can lead to multiple similar systems becoming popular, but this doesn't apply to currencies because retailers typically prefer that payment is simple and that the consumer doesn't have to choose between hundreds of them.

It's also tough to compare this to tokens, since many of these tokens aren't created to be an actual currency.  Many of them are made in order to raise money.
livingfree

Activity: 2814
Merit: 578

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:32:32 PM

Bitcoin's market cap is now $137 billion and the crypto market cap is now $300 B and I can't even see an article on that link. It doesn't have any explanation and it's pure graph so for someone that is new to cryptocurrency he will poorly understand on what that article is all about. Don't rush, we are still in the era of early days for crypto just like those experts said that it's like the 90's of internet so people aren't still aware that this is the modern wealth that we've been waiting for.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2422
Merit: 266

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:38:29 PM

very nice article

https://cryptotown.io/news/if-facebook-can-be-worth-billions-why-cant-cryptocurrencies-coindesk/index.html
Facebook is almost used by half of the world population which is about 3 billion users on facebook but crypro currencies are not used by that much amount of people yet so the value is less.But bitcoin is a currency and facebook is a company so how can we calculate both in terms of its value?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
tokexchain

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:43:18 PM

Facebook, Google and YouTube are all multi national longstanding companies worth billions of dollars, they have all been around a long time and concentrate on advertising and, well, social media.. Cryptocurrencies have been flying under the radar for a long time but are becoming more and more prevalent in recent times. and talking about 'billions' have you see the markets caps on the top performing coins, let alone all combined?
Ultegra134

Activity: 1582
Merit: 766

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:49:52 PM

very nice article

Facebook is a business, it's not accurate to compare it to Cryptocurrencies. However, if you actually compare Facebook's market cap (460 Billion dollars) with Cryptocurrency's, they are probably not that far apart. Bitcoin's market cap alone is 140 Billion dollars. Add Ethereum's and most other major ones and the result will probably be very close.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Mr.Dick

Activity: 196
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:00:23 PM

very nice article

I honestly do not get it,  Cryptocurrencies are worth billions, see here https://coinmarketcap.com look at the traded volume the last 24 houres. Looke at the marketcap itself, sum up some currencies!
I do not think we are in a bubble! There are simply too many people involved to talk about a bubble! Sincerely, mr.dick

buytheeffinD

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

The revolutionary AI gaming ecosystem

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 05:01:25 PM

What kind of rock are you living under? Cryptocurrencies already have a market cap in the billions and while they all may not be worth billions at least a couple of them are. Give it another 5 years at least and then we will have I believe 10-25 projects that are worth billions (actually not market cap wise).

Sexie

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:06:12 PM

Somehow , bitcoin or crypto currencies and Facebook have different functions anyway. . Obviously , that the owner of Facebook is a billionaire as he counts the users , almost all people in the world . In cryptocurrencies just only those who knew it. So we can not be sure of the counting , that small difference is inaccurate thing. Besides crypto currencies or bitcoins users could Help Facebook  and Vice versa. Maybe when  crypto Will be introduced well to the people and Its growth Will continously for the next generation to come, it might overtake  also the value of Facebook. It might as well have additional kind  of social media at that time.

center]EMPIREHOTELS  (EMPC) The Future of Hospitality
--------  WhitepaperTwitter Telegram ?   Instagram ?  [DO NOT POST SESC LINKS]Bitcointalk Thread [/url]    -------  Join our ICO :  feb. 10.2019- March.31.2019 [/center]
maianh09

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:09:03 PM

Facebook can help you make a profit from advertising and selling items on Facebook. It's a legitimate job. But Crypto makes you more productive when someone loses on their investments. The crypto still helps many people become billionaires, but nobody knows them because their identity is a secret figure.
Crypdon

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:28:15 PM

Crypto is already worth billions, the question is when it will be worth trillions and i anticipate it will happen later this year. All it needs is another trigger for a bull run and the fomo factor will hit the roof. When companies like facebook release their own token, crypto will go trillions for sure
clrpod

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:03:09 PM

I think it's not accurate to compare one social network and all cryptocurrencies. And I think that main difference is a numver of users. If I'm not mistaken, Facobook have more than 2 billion registered users. How many people are using cryptocurrencies? Not sure, maybe tens of millions. Just imagine how much Bitcoin and ofher cryptocurrencies would be used by, let's say - 0.5 billion or 1 billion. Then only Bitcoin without other cryptocurrencies would be worth more than Facebook. And there is another thing - after recent scandal, Facebook are loosing it's value.

Not at all, or even just to bitcoin. Facebook is far far bigger in terms of global reach and influence. More than anything I think it just shows that market cap is not a great measure of the size of cryptocurrencies.

Somehow , bitcoin or crypto currencies and Facebook have different functions anyway. . Obviously , that the owner of Facebook is a billionaire as he counts the users , almost all people in the world . In cryptocurrencies just only those who knew it. So we can not be sure of the counting , that small difference is inaccurate thing. Besides crypto currencies or bitcoins users could Help Facebook  and Vice versa. Maybe when  crypto Will be introduced well to the people and Its growth Will continously for the next generation to come, it might overtake  also the value of Facebook. It might as well have additional kind  of social media at that time.

Entirely different, it's why they're so incomparable. If bitcoin can ever get close to the number of users that facebook has then it would probably be the most used currency in the world and $8000 would look like an absolute bargain. I'm sure eventually facebook will integrate some form of cryptocurrency but I suspect it may be their own.

GIGZI INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
Crowdsale Starts on 23rd November 2018
epidose

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:06:54 PM

Cryptocurrency is the 21stcentury game changer in today's financial world. The world is waking up to to see the realities of going crypto. The crypto ecosystem can well be over hundreds of billions of dollars in value. Why not 
But, you also highlight the difference here. Cryptos are an ecosystem and will be the backbone of many different companies across many different industries. Facebook is a singular entity.

Cryptos - depending on how you define this - will likely be worth far more than Facebook, but ultimately they not comparable at all.

bayupermana

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:09:29 PM

But, you also highlight the difference here. Cryptos are an ecosystem and will be the backbone of many different companies across many different industries. Facebook is a singular entity.

Cryptos - depending on how you define this - will likely be worth far more than Facebook, but ultimately they not comparable at all.

right. facebook is completely different with cryptocurrency and we can not compare. Facebook is a single company and it is an extremely popular social networking site. Cryptocurrency is a collection of many companies posted on a website for investors to refer and invest in them. Although they are derived from technology, they are two completely different things.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:13:44 PM

LOL. for starters because Facebook is a company and a company has a market capitalization and it is a meaningful number for it and when you say it is worth billions it means something. but when it comes to cryptocurencies it has no meaning when you talk about their market capitalization. it is like asking why oranges are orange but apples aren't orange and instead they are green/red!

additionally because Facebook is a company which is doing something useful, it may seem silly to many but there is a big real demand for them. but for cryptocurrencies in general there is no demand apart from some traders looking to make money and there is only real demand for bitcoin and possibly for some altcoins that aren't even in the top 20 and bitcoin alone can not reach billions over night it will take time to be adopted and it will eventually get there.

Only Bitcoin
spagettiboy69

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:16:29 PM

Isn't this comparing apples and remote controls? Facebook is/was used by almost everyone. Sure, crypto in general could be involved in every day life for everybody at some point, but it doesn't make a ton of sense comparing the two.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: