Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:34:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Symptoms of GPU failure on Linux  (Read 1305 times)
zard_cz (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 11:29:51 AM

As I have mentioned in my previous post, I have Xorg process suddenly run at 100% CPU and mining stops. Could that be a hardware failure? Also, what are other hardware failure (GPU) symptoms on Linux?

Thanks
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
harm

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 11:50:32 AM

If you are running multiple GPUs and one or more lock up, that should not affect the others.

If it is not a lock up you can see higher CPU load on their python processes
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30513.msg383127#msg383127

I am not sure about the Xorg explanation, but let me try:
Xorg is attached to a one GPU, the only one that works with a screen when you boot your rig.
When that GPU lockes up, Xorg is lost...
zard_cz (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 12:36:32 PM

I am not sure about the Xorg explanation, but let me try:
Xorg is attached to a one GPU, the only one that works with a screen when you boot your rig.
When that GPU lockes up, Xorg is lost...

Thanks, will investigate. I thought that Xorg lockup will make all the gpus not to work as the ATI driver is dependent on its hooks to X for its function.
I will keep an eye on that... I still have remote access when the lockup occurs so I will have a look if the other cards mine, I have only checked one of them and that one seemed to be stuck - phoenix still running and responding to new blocks but not getting results.
zard_cz (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 12:38:26 PM

Also, what would be the general symptoms of a card needing to be returned for replacement? I am running a mild overclock but it has been stable for almost a month before..
harm

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 01:06:54 PM

Actually I have just returned a GPU. It started crashing more frequently and finally I couldn't boot anymore. But I have no futher experience with this...

You are right with the ati drivers depending on X. When X crashes, for example due to the lock up of that specific GPU, than the ohters lock up, too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: