Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:45:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to not get screwed using escrow?  (Read 516 times)
Sweetcheeks12354 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:13:42 AM

Hey all,

need some help.

I plan on selling some expensive phones using bitcoin because I don't want ebay/paypal gobbling up 20% of my profit when I know plenty of people will pay marketprice for these phones.

My question is, if I use escrow, how can I prevent people from deposting 3-4 bitcoins in the escrow account, me shipping the item. Once it arrives, them saying they never got it and then to just open a dispute. Worst case scenario for them, they pay for the phone, best case scenario, free phone.

Is there something I'm missing here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:15:25 AM

Hey all,

need some help.

I plan on selling some expensive phones using bitcoin because I don't want ebay/paypal gobbling up 20% of my profit when I know plenty of people will pay marketprice for these phones.

My question is, if I use escrow, how can I prevent people from deposting 3-4 bitcoins in the escrow account, me shipping the item. Once it arrives, them saying they never got it and then to just open a dispute. Worst case scenario for them, they pay for the phone, best case scenario, free phone.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Use tracking so the escrow can check online if the package arrived and take pictures of the phones packaged ready to go.
Sweetcheeks12354 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:22:30 AM

So pretty much cover my end so I can win the escrow battle if it comes to that. I suppose so. If I present the tracking number and it says successfully delivered with proof I sent it there's not much else I can do.

How often do these things happen? Has it ever happened to you?
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:27:40 AM

So pretty much cover my end so I can win the escrow battle if it comes to that. I suppose so. If I present the tracking number and it says successfully delivered with proof I sent it there's not much else I can do.

How often do these things happen? Has it ever happened to you?

You'll be fine, just cover your end and use a good escrow where they can sniff out scams such as John K or Danny Hamilton.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:37:52 AM

Depending on how much you want to spend on protecting yourself, there are a few more options in addition to what's already been mentioned in this thread.

Pay for both signature requirement on delivery and insurance on the package.

Then the receiver can't claim that the package didn't arrive, and if they claim that the package was damaged or opened in transit you can file an insurance claim (and they could be subject to investigation for mail fraud if they are lying).

If you want to protect against someone claiming you are a scammer that is intentionally shipping an empty box, you could send the package to the escrow holder.  The escrow holder could then inspect the package and make sure that the contents are included before re-shipping the package to the final recipient.  You would be expected to pay for the shipping costs (or would need to negotiate for the recipient to pay the shipping costs).  The escrow holder certainly isn't going to pay them out of their own pocket.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:12:33 AM

Depending on how much you want to spend on protecting yourself, there are a few more options in addition to what's already been mentioned in this thread.

Pay for both signature requirement on delivery and insurance on the package.

Then the receiver can't claim that the package didn't arrive, and if they claim that the package was damaged or opened in transit you can file an insurance claim (and they could be subject to investigation for mail fraud if they are lying).

If you want to protect against someone claiming you are a scammer that is intentionally shipping an empty box, you could send the package to the escrow holder.  The escrow holder could then inspect the package and make sure that the contents are included before re-shipping the package to the final recipient.  You would be expected to pay for the shipping costs (or would need to negotiate for the recipient to pay the shipping costs).  The escrow holder certainly isn't going to pay them out of their own pocket.

Yes, the last bit about relaying the shipping through the escrow holder is the best idea. Just charge an extra 0.1 for the product and do this so that you are guaranteed your money.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: