Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:02:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much could I get sell a 4-GPU (RX 580) rig, right now?  (Read 314 times)
dhouse (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM

I loved building it, and love mining, but kinda thinking that with prices the way they are (gpus overpriced, coins underpriced) it might be worth it to flip it, buy some BTC/alts, wait for a pump and then sell and the buy more gpus and build another rig. Might be crazy but I see people asking insane prices for ready-built rigs on craigslist. Thoughts?
whitrzac

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:40:37 PM

About $5. No one is buying mining hardware right now.
natedagger

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:54:25 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2018, 03:13:01 PM by natedagger

I loved building it, and love mining, but kinda thinking that with prices the way they are (gpus overpriced, coins underpriced) it might be worth it to flip it, buy some BTC/alts, wait for a pump and then sell and the buy more gpus and build another rig. Might be crazy but I see people asking insane prices for ready-built rigs on craigslist. Thoughts?

Excellent question.  To answer your question, I think for a 4x 580 rig, you could get $2200.  I base this on what I see on CL in the Chicago area.  That's roughly $300/used card, +$500 parts +$500 building/helping someone to get it working.  I haven't done any extensive study, but I am inclined to think that it varies city-to-city based on electric costs.  

I've also found that right now, people seem more interested in the cards versus the rigs - if I am you, I'd consider selling the cards as a bundle only and keep the rig while you flip the GPU proceeds over to a coin or just cash.  This is an eBay query for used cards that have recently sold (I did nitro 8gb):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=rx%20580%20nitro%208gb&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
I am not a seller there but it looks like selling on eBay costs a ton: somebody told me 13%! So if these cards are going for say $350 on average, maybe you can sell them for $300-$325 each, depending on how much of a time commitment you want to make.

I think the summer rolls around and garage miners start feeling the heat ( Cheesy) and that's when you'll see used card prices start to come back to earth.  In fact, if crypto doesn't rally HARD between now and say June, you'll start to see rigs and cards everywhere.  So if you're going to sell, do so soon, so that you can be patient.

EDIT: spelling
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1349

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 02:59:40 PM

This is not the best moment to sell

It's a small rig, I think it's best if you continue to mining, it's not a HUGE investment

Try to mine different coins to hold for the future

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:14:59 PM

This is not the best moment to sell

It's a small rig, I think it's best if you continue to mining, it's not a HUGE investment

Try to mine different coins to hold for the future

Holding to profit when the price moon up later will be a good plan but if OP is mining and will have to pay electricity, he may just break even only unless his electricity is free. I'm currently planing to buy a rig too but will try to consider buying new ones so that I will know how many months of use before a GPU will crash.
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:38:32 PM

If you need direct income now, I would suggest selling each GPU separately as there are more people in search of GPUs for non mining applications that selling a bulk number of GPUs for mining only.

Same applies for your PSU and MOBO etc.

All the best.

Merit me or don't.
iLoveMFB

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

Borderless for the People, Frictionless for the Ba

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:00:50 PM

Many people are afraid to buy a lot of this type of mining machine, which is popular in China's alibaba website. The weather is getting hotter and hotter.

T r a x i o n                                                            TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO
TRANSITIONS YOU TO A CRYPTO-READY SOCIETY       Pre-Sale starts April 15, 2018
Github     Telegram     Medium     Facebook     Twitter     Reddit     Youtube
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:08:31 PM

Even here in my country after the price drop a few months ago and the profitability are down but the price of graphics card is too expensive.
Some miners here in my country they wanted to exit and sell their miner but the price is crazy too expensive. They are abuser the price is just like $4000 to $5000 in 8 GPU rig. that honestly not worth it to buy if you bought them at that price it's really not profitable anymore.  
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:19:09 PM

Ebay is a really good resource.  Just search for RX 580 and then select the option to show sold listings.  from there, you can get an idea for how much they are selling for.  Exception to that: you may see some ridiculous low prices that are scam attempts and invalid.  Judgement call on your part to determine what's a valid price but it's usually not too hard to figure out.

Personally, I just did Craigslist and sold locally and I'm in a weird/limited market place... sort of geographically isolated comparatively but it all worked out fine.  Good thing about CL compared to Ebay is you don't have to worry as much about fees, packaging, and returns.  Just don't be a jerk and sell crappy gear or else I can imagine other bad things happening.  I've heard stories. 

But yeah, I really like CL lately.  It just depends on the margin between sales and hassle between various resale options.  I was really pleased to use some used GPU's I picked up off ebay and then sold them for a little bit more after mining with them for several months.  What could be better than that?  lol

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Swinging Phallus

Merit: 103

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:38:00 PM

Ebay is a really good resource.  Just search for RX 580 and then select the option to show sold listings.  from there, you can get an idea for how much they are selling for.  Exception to that: you may see some ridiculous low prices that are scam attempts and invalid.  Judgement call on your part to determine what's a valid price but it's usually not too hard to figure out.

Personally, I just did Craigslist and sold locally and I'm in a weird/limited market place... sort of geographically isolated comparatively but it all worked out fine.  Good thing about CL compared to Ebay is you don't have to worry as much about fees, packaging, and returns.  Just don't be a jerk and sell crappy gear or else I can imagine other bad things happening.  I've heard stories. 

But yeah, I really like CL lately.  It just depends on the margin between sales and hassle between various resale options.  I was really pleased to use some used GPU's I picked up off ebay and then sold them for a little bit more after mining with them for several months.  What could be better than that?  lol

I agree, Ebay is a great resource to compare prices. Only issue I have with actually using Ebay to sell with, is that I just can't trust shipping carriers with a mining rig. I used to work for a shipping carrier and i know that there are a LOT of workers who don't care for a fragile sticker. I might just take your route and take the CL approach.
natedagger

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 09:00:24 PM

I agree, Ebay is a great resource to compare prices. Only issue I have with actually using Ebay to sell with, is that I just can't trust shipping carriers with a mining rig. I used to work for a shipping carrier and i know that there are a LOT of workers who don't care for a fragile sticker. I might just take your route and take the CL approach.

Just spoke to a dude in greater Chicago who is selling rigs with 9x RX 580 8gb for $3500... 
Swinging Phallus

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 12:09:56 PM

Ebay is a really good resource.  Just search for RX 580 and then select the option to show sold listings.  from there, you can get an idea for how much they are selling for.  Exception to that: you may see some ridiculous low prices that are scam attempts and invalid.  Judgement call on your part to determine what's a valid price but it's usually not too hard to figure out.

Personally, I just did Craigslist and sold locally and I'm in a weird/limited market place... sort of geographically isolated comparatively but it all worked out fine.  Good thing about CL compared to Ebay is you don't have to worry as much about fees, packaging, and returns.  Just don't be a jerk and sell crappy gear or else I can imagine other bad things happening.  I've heard stories.  

But yeah, I really like CL lately.  It just depends on the margin between sales and hassle between various resale options.  I was really pleased to use some used GPU's I picked up off ebay and then sold them for a little bit more after mining with them for several months.  What could be better than that?  lol

Just spoke to a dude in greater Chicago who is selling rigs with 9x RX 580 8gb for $3500...  

There are a lot of weak hands now because of the market. A lot of hobby miners are dropping their rigs at crazy prices for their own detriment. I would pick those up if I were you, only because I like swimming against the current - when it comes to the odds.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:38:53 PM

I saw a listing for a RX 470 on e-bay for $250 with zero bids and 35 minutes left.   It appears unloading these GPUs is going to get a bit more tedious fairly soon.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:49:24 PM

Damn i guess the GPU / mining rig market flood is now starting to become a reality. An rx570/580 that was worth $400+ only a month ago is no only worth around $300-350. Thats a big drop for a short period time. Hopefully this correction will end soon and incourage new investors.
DannHomes

Activity: 30
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:49:58 PM

I saw somebody in my community are selling their old RX580 at around 320$. I'm thinking about purchasing some or buy asic miner. Asic mineris quite better now.
NobodyIsHome

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:58:43 PM

Oh, wow.  

9x 1070 rig

I'm going to wait another week and see if I can pick up some cheap equipment.  As a software dev, my GPUs have a life after crypto, so there's no need for me to sell once they've reached capital recovery.

Swinging Phallus

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:12:53 PM

I saw somebody in my community are selling their old RX580 at around 320$. I'm thinking about purchasing some or buy asic miner. Asic mineris quite better now.

Yeah, but they only last so long. You never know when there will be a better one released at a later date or if the coin you find most profitable ends up changing its algo, either way ASICs go obsolete far too quickly for long term situations.
chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 04:44:58 PM

You have the skill and talent to build a rig. That's great, why do not you make service in your country. That's a good idea, right? Many people can not build a rig, and do not know the GPU mining, it is not easy.
Mahanton

Activity: 2744
Merit: 634

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:26:40 PM

If you do love to build then dont tend to sell out those miners you do have recently and as being advised above by most members its better to mine different coins seeing that RX 580 is capable on mining some altcoins in the market providing sufficient hash for you to operate.

As long you can able to handle the electricity expense then just continue on the thing you are doing and talking towards insane overpriced prices of GPU's thats because of the demand on where merchants or even 2nd hand sellers would really use up the opportunity.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
The Demon Slick

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:50:17 PM

I would have said 2k usd, but the 2200 guy is right, if you sell on ebay you need the extra loot to cover thier slice. If you don't need the money, mine at a loss and hold for better $ later.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: