Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:46:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in Belgium  (Read 531 times)
argov (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:39:07 PM

Hello

I'm a Beglian who uses bitcoins in ... the Netherlands. Why bitcoins aren't accepted in Belgium? Even minister Geens don't care about it. Why people why? Huh

Greetings

1JBwWnqwxGTtqchacyHuhdjWZhYYonBuDf and 19KXWjUZnNPatoMZoRiFMzJFWA7mxBRPX5

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
argov (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:10:47 PM

1. In many countries you can find webshops or "real" stores accepting bitcoins.
2. Minister Geens is the Beglian minister of Finance (English info here: http://www.coindesk.com/belgiums-finance-minister-has-no-objection-to-bitcoin/)

Greetings

1JBwWnqwxGTtqchacyHuhdjWZhYYonBuDf and 19KXWjUZnNPatoMZoRiFMzJFWA7mxBRPX5
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:12:35 PM

Bitcoin's a new technology and not many businesses yet know or trust it.  You'll have to be a bitcoin evangelist and spread the word if you want the people in your area to be familiar with it Tongue

puze

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Acceptance in Belgium... it will happen Smiley
RichardForsyth

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:53:59 PM

You mean official government acceptance?  As in: bitcoin is accepted for the payment of tax liabilities, fees, licenses, and the like?  That will be a long time in the making.  My sense is that no EU members will make such a move independent of EU monetary authority.  It would be tantamount to a strike against the Euro itself. Not that the notion is exactly illogical in my mind, but political movements with consequences of that magnitude don't move very quickly and without substantial press.  And they will never greenlight acceptance of bitcoin for financial obligations to the government until some mechanism is put in place to trace and tax it. That's how governments are.

If you mean private businesses in Belgium: well, transactions need to clear faster for point of sale scenarios (assuming you're talking brick and mortar) before acceptance occurs on a broad scale.  And customers are going to get a little peeved with e-commerce where they expect clearance of a transaction within a minute or less.  The less than savvy are going to be concerned the transaction stalled.  Bitcoin is very new and needs some infrastructure upgrades.

Also, to complete a half-baked comment I alluded to earlier: while bitcoin prices are volatile (a function of infrastructure problems), and while transactions remain *truly* anonymous, businesses are going to be somewhat shy of accepting bitcoins for fear of an AML crackdown--pools of funds get recalled because they are tainted from money laundering activities and businesses are implicated as accessories or partners in crime. Etc. The bitcoin community needs to start getting used to the notion that some transparency to transactions has to occur (and I think they can still maintain a sense of *privacy* regardless) before broad institutional acceptance happens. Businesses rely on third party trust: assurances that transactions will either go through or there will be recourse if they don't.  This "wild west" culture is only going to work for pioneers and risk-friendly forward thinkers.  Mark my words: bitcoin acceptance will be capped until some light can be shone on bitcoin transactions.  Some new approach must be forwarded to cleanse and keep clean the financial channels in order for them to widen for big-scale use.  This anarchistic culture within the community is understandable (I despise most forms of government) but not practical from a business perspective.     

Cheers to Belgium from a Canadian living in the United States.  I used to live in Tourcoing.  Miss is terribly.   
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:39:47 PM

+1 to all the comments about having to get the word out by yourself
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: