Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:27:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google 'Floating Structures'. Anyone wants to bet what those are?  (Read 3420 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:02:24 PM

There is an opportunity to win or lose some bitcoins. Google employees and people working on those barges should not participate  Cheesy

What is Google building on Treasure Island?
http://youtu.be/RHz6WrjuCGQ

Google 'Floating Structures' on Both Coasts
http://youtu.be/k5Gquqb-iQE

People who live and work on California s Treasure Island thought a barge and four stories of cargo containers had something to do with the America s Cup, but as Allen Martin reports, the top-secret floating structure actually belongs to Google. People who live and work on California s Treasure Island thought a barge and four stories of cargo containers had something to do with the America s Cup, but as Allen Martin reports, the top-secret floating structure actually belongs to Google. People who live and work on California s Treasure Island thought a barge and four stories of cargo containers had something to do with the America s Cup, but as Allen Martin reports, the top-secret floating structure actually belongs to Google.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:51:17 PM

I could think of a number of hypothesis off hand.

One is just that from a thermodynamics point of view there could be some utility in having data processing facilities floating in a heat sink.

Another would be that Google themselves feels some benefit in having the potential to operate with some flexibility in terms of jurisdiction and physical security.

Another is that they have so much money they just don't know what to do with it.

Another is basically what the author of this vid proposes.

One way or another, it would be an interesting thing to watch if there is anything to it at all.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 07:53:02 PM

That's where Google stores their pallets of cash  Grin
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:39:49 AM

Giant bitcoin miners water cooled by the ocean.
renaxi

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:12:01 AM

Might be for some top secret project, or a database backup.

rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:43:15 PM

free energy

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:06:33 PM

free energy

You mean they figured out how to gather hydrogen isotopes from the seawater and fuse them?

...cuz wave action or windmills are not going to do much.  I mean if they have electronics equipment much beyond a bed-time reading light aboard that is.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:37:23 PM

free energy

Free energy will make you a Google slave and you'll be happy about it if that ever happen.  Grin
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:41:36 PM

The bay is a natural air conditioner for the whole region.   Metal boxes on the bay get cold.   Metal boxes full of servers that pump cold bay water through piping is one cheap way of cooling.
Why shouldn't the government give google access to whatever space/resource they want, they pay a lot of taxes.   ooops.  they pay almost no taxes... so of course they are entitled.

rampalija

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:39:06 PM

you like it or not google is internet and it is everywhere around us and google is future

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 12:04:26 AM

you like it or not google is internet and it is everywhere around us and google is future

I don't like it. I am a google user. One google share is a thousand bux. They have cool tools. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I remember them branding their moto ''Do No Evil'' all the time. ''Do No Evil... And nothing bad will happen to you'' would be more accurate.
rampalija

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

i didnt say i like it, but more and more users use android based phones and google see everithing even if you location is turned off

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 03:17:48 AM

Perhaps it is a trial run of a Project Blueseed type of setup where they plan to test it out in calm waters before moving 12 nautical miles off shore to avoid most US laws.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 05:26:03 AM

Metal crates = seaworthy cardboard box alternatives for homeless pirates
Dan Dascalescu

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 11:52:43 AM

Perhaps it is a trial run of a Project Blueseed type of setup where they plan to test it out in calm waters before moving 12 nautical miles off shore to avoid most US laws.

I would like to state on behalf of Blueseed that, despite some rumors, we are not affiliated with or supported by Google, and do not know for certain what the purpose of their four barges is.

However, I've compiled all the information I could find about the barges into this Wikipedia article, which anyone with sourceable information is invited to contribute to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_barges

rampalija

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 03:23:41 PM

maybe they are minning BTC in thoose structures Cheesy hahaha

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:28:58 PM

I would like to state on behalf of Blueseed that, despite some rumors, we are not affiliated with or supported by Google, and do not know for certain what the purpose of their four barges is.

However, I've compiled all the information I could find about the barges into this Wikipedia article, which anyone with sourceable information is invited to contribute to:

Those structures are truly gigantic! Thanks for the Wiki!
rampalija

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:19:52 PM

thx to wiki any ou man, this is interesting theme

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:43:30 PM

After musing about the latest Snowden release...and getting some lol's out of it...

It would be interesting to know how the NSA would interpret the jurisdictional considerations of GFEs floating either in the San Francisco Bay or 12 miles off-shore.  I'm sure it would be a state secret so asking them directly would not be very productive, but interesting ans seemingly reliable information about this stuff seems to be getting out anyway.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:26:47 PM

After musing about the latest Snowden release...and getting some lol's out of it...

It would be interesting to know how the NSA would interpret the jurisdictional considerations of GFEs floating either in the San Francisco Bay or 12 miles off-shore.  I'm sure it would be a state secret so asking them directly would not be very productive, but interesting ans seemingly reliable information about this stuff seems to be getting out anyway.

NSA doesn't care about laws or jurisdictions.

rampalija

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:28:06 PM

kaws are createdhow NSA wants

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:59:56 PM

Sounds nice, but you are both probably somewhat wrong.  The U.S. continues to effectively enforce certain constraints on the intelligence apparatus which they need to work around.  And there are a fair number of lawmakers and other members of the government who are not on-board with complete totalitarianism.

We are under an altered legal state since 9/11 and, like the debt ceiling, it gets extended (by executive order in this case) as needed and is likely to continue to do so forever.  But this state is not sufficient to provide complete flexibility in operations.  It is possible (and I think likely) that further declarations will be made which will open up new flexibility in terms of internal population management, and prudent engineering would be to set up to exploit these flexibilities if called upon to do so.  That is probably why the NSA conducted an long running 'experiment' to see if they could track all almost all persons whereabouts at almost all times using the commercial communications networks.

Whether these barges in question are at all related to various experiments that various leaderships would like to perform is a fair avenue to explore.  If the barges even exist at all, that is, and I've yet to even look into that.

rampalija

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:04:15 PM

Sounds nice, but you are both probably somewhat wrong.  The U.S. continues to effectively enforce certain constraints on the intelligence apparatus which they need to work around.  And there are a fair number of lawmakers and other members of the government who are not on-board with complete totalitarianism.

We are under an altered legal state since 9/11 and, like the debt ceiling, it gets extended (by executive order in this case) as needed and is likely to continue to do so forever.  But this state is not sufficient to provide complete flexibility in operations.  It is possible (and I think likely) that further declarations will be made which will open up new flexibility in terms of internal population management, and prudent engineering would be to set up to exploit these flexibilities if called upon to do so.  That is probably why the NSA conducted an long running 'experiment' to see if they could track all almost all persons whereabouts at almost all times using the commercial communications networks.

Whether these barges in question are at all related to various experiments that various leaderships would like to perform is a fair avenue to explore.  If the barges even exist at all, that is, and I've yet to even look into that.

is sounds scary that they are following us but it is true

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:05:42 PM

I think its a data center. Probably has something to do with cooling. I know it sounds weird, but google is into that type of shit.

rampalija

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:03:11 AM

I think its a data center. Probably has something to do with cooling. I know it sounds weird, but google is into that type of shit.

read it here

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:14:07 PM

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/googles-secret-revealed-barge-to-offer-high-end-showrooms-party-deck/

Google’s mysterious floating barge on San Francisco Bay will feature luxury showrooms and a party deck for the tech giant to market Google Glass and other gadgets to invitation-only clients, multiple sources told KPIX 5.

The project, which has been in the planning stages for more than a year, was created at Google
  • , the secret facility that Google reportedly runs near its corporate headquarters in Mountain View. It is personally directed by Google co-founder Sergey Brin and is Google’s attempt to upstage rival Apple and its chain of popular retail stores, sources said.

A source who has been onboard the vessel, which is moored off San Francisco’s Treasure Island under tight security, told KPIX 5 the first three floors are designed to serve as “dazzling showrooms” that can be outfitted with chrome features and floor lighting. There is an upper “party deck” meant to feature bars, lanais and other comforts so Google can fete its upscale customers.

The building is constructed of interchangeable 40-foot shipping containers that can be assembled and disassembled at will, allowing it to be placed on barges, trucks or rail cars and taken anywhere in the world, the source said. Google could send it to a ski resort one day and then have it shipped to the beach a few days later.

The project has been delayed in part because the U.S. Coast Guard labeled the building a “floating vessel” that requires federally approved safety features.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 11:19:49 PM

read it here

How exactly did wikipedia decide on that? Seems like somebody just guessed and put it in a wikipedia article TBH.

Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:45:34 AM

Very good idea.  Bitcoin miners in Antarctica?  (penguins!)
rampalija

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:51:24 AM

Why not?!?! They had the best cooling Smiley

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 05:33:13 PM

Why not?!?! They had the best cooling Smiley

Solar power for half the year?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 11:39:04 PM

This is the prison where Sylvester and Arnold escape from in the future.
rampalija

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:28:19 PM

then they are makin a movie Smiley

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:33:30 PM

then they are makin a movie Smiley

They already made one, and it was crap.

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 10:47:38 PM

One barge no problem! When they start putting dozens of these daisy chained in international waters ..

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
rampalija

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:23:01 PM

And, did anyone know what are they or you guys are still guessing

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:06:38 AM

A Google spokesperson told TechCrunch that the barges are ‘an interactive space' to teach people about its technology
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/06/google-says-its-using-mystery-barges-as-interactive-space-where-people-can-learn-about-its-technology/

rampalija

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:53:38 AM

A Google spokesperson told TechCrunch that the barges are ‘an interactive space' to teach people about its technology
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/06/google-says-its-using-mystery-barges-as-interactive-space-where-people-can-learn-about-its-technology/

As one man before said, Mybe that is the prison from which Arnold and Silvester escaped

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:08:44 PM

Greenhouses? Wink

Meteorological survey stations?

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:23:42 PM

Why is this thread still alive? Grin
elektibi75

Activity: 326

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:59:39 AM

Hahaha nice answer :"DD

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Kaligulax

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:51:46 PM

Google uses pods as part of the data center footprint. Usually they look more like over sized personal on demand storage units. I would suggest this is a larger version of that footprint. which has been in use for years. Data Centers need tons of cool air, maybe they will used the open water as a resource for cooling. They built a structure in the mountains in New York state, and designed the building to use the ambient temperatures to move the heat our of the dc.

1FxCUCAij9FT9fXQSqYHHMiaELhRTAhui6
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:46:56 PM

Google's mystery barge is heading on a short cruise to comply with an order requiring it to move from its current home on a San Francisco Bay island.

The agency leasing the Treasure Island space where the barge is being built says the four-story vessel is bound for the Port of Stockton, a destination located about 80 miles east of San Francisco.

The barge is supposed to move by March 7, according to Mirian Saez, director of operations for the Treasure Island Development Authority, which rented the vessel's current home.

Google Inc. and the Port of Stockton didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

The barge is leaving because of a Jan. 31 regulatory order concluding that Google didn't have the proper building permits at Treasure Island. The Port of Stockton falls outside the jurisdiction of the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, the regulator that cracked down on the barge.

Google had halted work on the barge late last year amid speculation that the Mountain View, Calif., company was building an aquatic store to sell its products or a party boat.

The company says the barge will serve as an interactive technology center once it's done. A similar barge is being built by Google on the East Coast, too.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOOGLE_BARGE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-02-27-16-34-07
zeocrash

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:16:04 PM

Another is that they have so much money they just don't know what to do with it.

Most Likely this
mecoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 07:12:43 PM

hmm, don't think so...
they could fill the surface of moon with their money Grin Grin Grin
=> they should start building a space lift Cool Cool
Lyomon86

Activity: 96

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:58:28 PM

There is a real opportunity to win or lose some bitcoin? I don't think so.
txbt

Activity: 62

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:07:15 PM

I won't bet  (seems hard anyway - we would have needed an escrow) but I'm curious if/when they are finally opened to the public. Did they announce at least who is the target audience of the "interactive technology centre", when it will be done or any other new info?

thx

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: