Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:35:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to your favorite alt-coin?  (Read 17238 times)
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:46:14 AM

The wealth is not in the "printed money" you are missing the point. The wealth is in the company that invests its time in the coin, and the people that will work for the coin.

Mmm.  Maybe.

That sounds a lot like the alternative local currency movement-- create a local currency that somehow expresses the local community's values.

I'm probably just a too-logical, cold-hearted geek, but building community around a currency doesn't strike a chord with me. To me, community is about people, and a currency is just a tool for transactions. I guess an analogy would be a bunch of carpenters who build a community around some Extra Special brand of nails that they create and trade amongst themselves.

How that can be alternactive when BTC price is fluctuating crazy, now 150 nex day 220 then again 170

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
haightst

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:57:06 AM

The wealth is not in the "printed money" you are missing the point. The wealth is in the company that invests its time in the coin, and the people that will work for the coin.

Mmm.  Maybe.

That sounds a lot like the alternative local currency movement-- create a local currency that somehow expresses the local community's values.

I'm probably just a too-logical, cold-hearted geek, but building community around a currency doesn't strike a chord with me. To me, community is about people, and a currency is just a tool for transactions. I guess an analogy would be a bunch of carpenters who build a community around some Extra Special brand of nails that they create and trade amongst themselves.

~and they build crosses to go with the nails?  Grin
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:29:02 PM

Mmm.  Maybe.

There is still a point you are missing. The plan is not to have communities to pop up around coins, but coins to pop up in existing communities (groups, charities, companies, etc)
tagbond

Activity: 627
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:31:32 PM

And you know I am hoping to let people build those communities and use whatever coin they want.

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:32:03 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 02:09:54 PM by ANiceJewishBoy

Basically, this will eventually replace:
Coupons
Gift Cards
Pay Checks or at least bonuses
Barter Point
Rewards Programs
Etc

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:44:26 PM

And when like 1/10 companies have their own coin, bitcoin will basically be used to buy anything you want. You just have to buy the coin that you can spend at the place you want to buy things.

And using wallet apps, people could buy things in person.

It's like when people lived in corporate town s and got paid money that only worked at corporate shops. Except we have the Internet, so we can all trade for what coins we want.
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:13:46 PM

If anyone would like to get paid for making coins, I suggest posting your email and price of development in this thread. But before you do that, look up the Devcoin code just so you can see the difference between it and a normal coin. It creates payment within a community, outside of mining.
tagbond

Activity: 627
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:45:30 PM

I have another idea for our TagCoin, or any crypto that is integrated with tagbond rewards. Because it is a digital representation on our wallet system, backed by the crypto that was deposited, anyway can give tips in the same way as Flatter, using buttons on a site to ask for instant donations. Faster than crypto wallets...I button press, enter the amount and it is done...it just shows up instantly in the other users wallet, and if he doesn't have one, one will be created automatically for them. Great for donations, anonymous or otherwise...

Any other ideas on this topic?..

Tranz
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1052

May the force bit with you.

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:31:46 PM

I'm still stuck on how y'all think altcoins create wealth. I don't see any of them being any easier to transact than Bitcoin.

I'll try to keep this short. 

I believe BTC protocol creates wealth because of the value it adds to the system. It allows for fast and cheap transfers world wide. It prevents a central authority from destroying the currency at it own whims.  It is a store of wealth.  Any of these things can be done with other services or instruments; PayPal, Gold, fiat. BTC just does it better.

Now enter Alts. If the alt adds nothing new to BTC it adds very little value. It does add some value, as it allows for the acquisition of BTC, from some other means, other then buying or mining BTC directly. Both of which can be difficult and expensive.

Alt Coins that add new features to BTC, add true wealth. Example Proof of Stake, which now allows for much higher energy efficiency of inflating a crypto. A big issue for BTC.   

Obviously some of these features could be added BTC, some maybe can not.

In short I think alt coins are a mixed bag. Creating one simply to pump and dump, is damaging to the system, but hey it is a free market. Creating ones to improve and enhance BTC is a good thing! IMHO...

HBN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303749.0 hobonickels.info
Personal Donations: F1TranzWqFGZyFeTMu6iLbtTQgdXuJPsiL
Donations to the HBN Fund: EhbNfund4PrRFLHMxsnbGLhP25hizJGHEE or 1LVFtCX4a83dMLjd8S7imKKKC58QaG83kw
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:12:41 PM

I'm still stuck on how y'all think altcoins create wealth. I don't see any of them being any easier to transact than Bitcoin.

I believe BTC protocol creates wealth because of the value it adds to the system. It allows for fast and cheap transfers world wide. It prevents a central authority from destroying the currency at it own whims.  It is a store of wealth.  Any of these things can be done with other services or instruments; PayPal, Gold, fiat. BTC just does it better.

Now enter Alts. If the alt adds nothing new to BTC it adds very little value. It does add some value, as it allows for the acquisition of BTC, from some other means, other then buying or mining BTC directly. Both of which can be difficult and expensive.

Alt Coins that add new features to BTC, add true wealth. Example Proof of Stake, which now allows for much higher energy efficiency of inflating a crypto. A big issue for BTC.  

In short I think alt coins are a mixed bag. Creating one simply to pump and dump, is damaging to the system, but hey it is a free market. Creating ones to improve and enhance BTC is a good thing! IMHO...
Exactly. The current philosophy of "create coins for fun" but "mining is what we consider fun" can not last forever. Eventually people are going to realize that many of these coins have nothing supporting then except an [ANN] thread.

Coins should not be made to trade for bitcoin. Coins should be made to bridge the gap between bitcoin and the public.
haightst

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:21:47 PM

If anyone would like to get paid for making coins, I suggest posting your email and price of development in this thread. But before you do that, look up the Devcoin code just so you can see the difference between it and a normal coin. It creates payment within a community, outside of mining.

Devcoin is a shoddy pos coin! lol
haightst

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:24:45 PM

I have another idea for our TagCoin, or any crypto that is integrated with tagbond rewards. Because it is a digital representation on our wallet system, backed by the crypto that was deposited, anyway can give tips in the same way as Flatter, using buttons on a site to ask for instant donations. Faster than crypto wallets...I button press, enter the amount and it is done...it just shows up instantly in the other users wallet, and if he doesn't have one, one will be created automatically for them. Great for donations, anonymous or otherwise...

Any other ideas on this topic?..

I'm working on a forthcoming exchange type coin based in California ~New York ...spring 2014 full rollout! =)
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

I write in a way that I can express my train of thoughts more precisely, and yeah I have read a lot of books.

I know there is a limited amount of true wealth in the world and that gets diluted by the number of active investments in the world.

Bitcoin has gained it's value by being magnitudes more efficient, and soon much better designed than the banking system that it will replace; This is why it is appreciating in value, the people see what it is worth and are rallying their economic power around it, they know it is better, too long has the technological potential of our minds been held back by ancient obsolete systems.

This is where Bitcoin is  getting it's wealth from, it's simply a better way of exchaning wealth.

The Alt-coins have limited potential simply because they are the same as Bitcoin, only small improvements or worse. The time and effort required to move to them would require another advantage that will have to be determined for that particular coin. It will gain a little wealth, but it must start at zero to assess it's value properly.

so I as well cannot determine where the wealth of these coins is coming from, A POW advantage can attract a specific type of person to complete the human challenges.

Devcoin is a great start, but it is definitely very badly executed, bad interface, limited scope for it's mission, not diverse enough, no place for it's members to congregate and exchange ideas more effectively, but someone will figure it out.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
haightst

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:26:18 PM

I believe BTC protocol creates wealth because of the value it adds to the system. It allows for fast and cheap transfers world wide. It prevents a central authority from destroying the currency at it own whims.  It is a store of wealth.  Any of these things can be done with other services or instruments; PayPal, Gold, fiat. BTC just does it better.

Exactly. The current philosophy of "create coins for fun" but "mining is what we consider fun" can not last forever. Eventually people are going to realize that many of these coins have nothing supporting then except an [ANN] thread.

Coins should not be made to trade for bitcoin. Coins should be made to bridge the gap between bitcoin and the public.

it's called cryptsy my dude,,, use it wisely!  Cool
haightst

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:30:13 PM

I write in a way that I can express my train of thoughts more precisely, and yeah I have read a lot of books.

I know there is a limited amount of true wealth in the world and that gets diluted by the number of active investments in the world.

Bitcoin has gained it's value by being magnitudes more efficient, and soon much better designed than the banking system that it will replace; This is why it is appreciating in value, the people see what it is worth and are rallying their economic power around it, they know it is better, too long has the technological potential of our minds been held back by ancient obsolete systems.

This is where Bitcoin is  getting it's wealth from, it's simply a better way of exchaning wealth.

The Alt-coins have limited potential simply because they are the same as Bitcoin, only small improvements or worse. The time and effort required to move to them would require another advantage that will have to be determined for that particular coin. It will gain a little wealth, but it must start at zero to assess it's value properly.

so I as well cannot determine where the wealth of these coins is coming from, A POW advantage can attract a specific type of person to complete the human challenges.

Devcoin is a great start, but it is definitely very badly executed, bad interface, limited scope for it's mission, not diverse enough, no place for it's members to congregate and exchange ideas more effectively, but someone will figure it out.

re:

" I as well cannot determine where the wealth of these coins is coming from, "

what name is supporting it? MST i'm buying all basing on a legal issue with MSC devs , two coins with the same name!  Cool wwhattt?

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:59:12 PM

it's called cryptsy my dude,,, use it wisely!  Cool

How do you earn coins with crypsty, without already having coins?
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:01:20 PM

I tried to talk the Devcoin community into doing some of these things when I first started writing for devtome, they told me they don't have the money to solve those problems though. And they won't until people see the good it can do.
jdbtracker

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:34:08 PM

OP

Devcoin is a very decentralized system, I have been observing it for a while now.

I have noticed that for things to move forward there are different people in charge in different places.
The website is managed by one person, the registration by another, etc. It promotes diversity by asking for others to show some initiative in creating something better, but even getting added to the list of Devcoins recipients needs to be changed.

If someone cannot create a website or a system for rating, promoting, more content to distribute Devcoins to, it will die without a doubt. There must be an easier way to get signed up to the Devcoin distribution list if one is not a writer. Someone may have to create a Micro-coin to be able to distribute coins to musicians and painters, with the accompanying website or app for sharing their creations easily to be added to their running tally.

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:18:01 PM

OP

Devcoin is a very decentralized system, I have been observing it for a while now.

I have noticed that for things to move forward there are different people in charge in different places.
The website is managed by one person, the registration by another, etc. It promotes diversity by asking for others to show some initiative in creating something better, but even getting added to the list of Devcoins recipients needs to be changed.

If someone cannot create a website or a system for rating, promoting, more content to distribute Devcoins to, it will die without a doubt. There must be an easier way to get signed up to the Devcoin distribution list if one is not a writer. Someone may have to create a Micro-coin to be able to distribute coins to musicians and painters, with the accompanying website or app for sharing their creations easily to be added to their running tally.

This is exactly what I am saying. I suggested they accept other languages, and pay people to be translators and they said they just don't have the staff for that. And I suggesting adding systems to pay people for movie, book and game reviews as well as videos and art, and they said they just don't have the support.

Devtome needs MORE writers doing MORE things, so people can see the use of the system.
jdbtracker

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:34:48 PM

But will they be able to pull together in time? I have noticed several mentions to limiting the number of writers because of the shares, but that diversification is necessary for upward movement at this point in time; They have hit rock bottom, almost, just 25 satoshi's to go.

other factors I've noticed is the lack of instructions to be a recipient of devcoins, they should be able to make affiliate websites for different developer communities. Knowing who to talk to, to link the community to Devcoin could save it... I am sure there are many communities out there who would like a creative incentive system. But of course we suffer from, not I, we will wait till someone does.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: