Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:43:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to your favorite alt-coin?  (Read 17239 times)
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:44:52 AM

Basically, this thread should be compared to credit card commercials. (Or at least these coins should be compared individually to credit card companies. 1. How good are the rewards programs 2. How many people accept them 3. What percent do you pay back, or in the case of coins: what percent do they pay you compared to miners)

And I want to get more companies making these "cards" (coins). So like a credit card company commercial commercial. Like a commercial telling you to invent a credit card.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:42:31 PM

I get Internet sometime today. So today is thread sharing day.

PLEASE send a link to this thread to any coder or entrepreneur you know.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:10:24 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2013, 06:55:38 PM by jdbtracker

Basically, this thread should be compared to credit card commercials. (Or at least these coins should be compared individually to credit card companies. 1. How good are the rewards programs 2. How many people accept them 3. What percent do you pay back, or in the case of coins: what percent do they pay you compared to miners)

And I want to get more companies making these "cards" (coins). So like a credit card company commercial commercial. Like a commercial telling you to invent a credit card.

Thanks to Bitcoin, the main Coin protocol that maintains network security, this is possible; It is the infrastructure, the gateway to this Brave world we are creating.

It is definitely much cheaper that having to make a credit card/ gift card, pay for security etc when it is done safely with the blockchain to maintain security, code is cheap.

I consider a currency to be a release signal for resources, when a certain level of currency is acquired for a specific item, in essence they are gauging the amount of available demand at that price point, What controls the selection process is a complex list of factors that surround the individual making the choice to purchase.

I see a more complex environment if these alt-currencies and micro-currencies are used.

Imagine this.

A world wide signaling system(cryptocoins) to release specific types of intellectual resources or efforts on a world wide basis.
A well known coin, Devcoin for example. Take it to it's limit millions of organizations around the world use Devcoin for signaling the creation of creative opensource work, with specific micro-currencies for different endevours that exchange directly and only with Devcoin. Buy Devcoins for general creative work done world wide, buy the micro-currencies for specific works, music, engineering, architecture, etc. In this scenario everyone in the world knows about Devcoin and it's purpose, and is simply gaining creative resources by how well it is accomplishing this task; People buy the respective coins increasing the value of the coins and increasing resources to be expended within the system. A patron of the coin would buy coins and then give them specifically to artist, writers, engineers that they admire and wish their work to continue, or keep it for themselves when they are in a bind and need the cash.

Underneath Devcoin would be MusicCoin, PaintCoin, ArcCoin, etc each with a micro blockchain connected to Devcoins Blockchain but only downloaded for those interested in making specific donations to those efforts instead of a global effort, Multi-Coin wallets would be the norm.  And maybe even-multi-coin interconnectors that would connect not just a projects coin-interface but would be merged with Devcoin because of the efforts that they would come under. For example, if someone was trying to make an floating city, they would make the floating-city-coin project that people could donate too at any time to move the project forward, but it would be tied to Devcoin for all the creation being made to gain extra funding.

The coins in essence act as giant world-wide campaign signals for development of decentralized projects, no need to know who or what is using it, just knowing that the best efforts that this paradigm is creating is becoming available for all humanity.  A different model far more effective and efficient than the current design of NGOs.

The wealth that these coins need for their projects, would be interfaced from Bitcoin or directly purchased with Fiat. The projects would gain acceptance according to how well they were known, how well they did in telling the community and investors how well they are doing... and with Open Transactions, a market for human endevours could be created, think of kickstarter but with coins and the project works the moment you say go.  All your efforts will determine how well you are gaining the trust of the general public to provide the wealth necessary to make the project move forward.

Massive decentralized movements with millions of individuals with decentralized equipment and tools acting like Non-government-organizations creating enormous projects never before possible in this way with minimal paperwork required, just a Forum, a Coin, a great project, and millions of volunteers willing to be paid in Coins with the backing of the general publics purchasing power.

so if someone did complete the floating Arc, at the end where would the coins go? to it's maintenance? it would plummet in price as the endevour was finished and resource use declined, all coins would have to be bought back by the Coinbased- NGO and returned to the community. The ArcCoin blockchain would be maintained as a record of those who contributed to it's creation.

Just imagine going to a free open-sky concert, free for everyone to attend. The artists would  get paid in MusicCoin for the concert, people who loved the concert would after the fact purchase Devcoins to fund the greater creative effort of free art, giving the coins to the artists in the concert, or purchasing MusicCoins directly would fund the greater effort of art. A world where all creative acts wherever they are done are valued for their contribution to the grandness of the human endevour.

need to fund the saving of humanity? HumanityCoin, where all the combined efforts of all NGO's guarding the welfare of humanity would be amalgamated. I donate 100 dollars in HumanCoin and know that the decentralized system is secure, safe from tampering by a cadre of professionals who are at the mercy of the Blockchain that monitors all their distribution of Humancoins resources to worthy Organizations that are truly helping people. since the blockchain would monitor everything we as a worldwide society can gauge how effective the system is in different areas or if there is corruption within the supply chain. The whole world would scrutinize and guide the efforts of HumanCoin.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:45:05 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2013, 07:16:53 PM by ANiceJewishBoy

It is definitely much cheaper that having to make a credit card/ gift card, pay for security etc when it is done safely with the blockchain to maintain security, code is cheap.

I consider a currency to be a release signal for resources, when a certain level of currency is acquired for a specific item, in essence they are gauging the amount of available demand at that price point, What controls the selection process is a complex list of factors that surround the individual making the choice to purchase.

I see a more complex environment if these alt-currencies and micro-currencies are used.

Imagine this.

A world wide signaling system(cryptocoins) to release specific types of intellectual resources or efforts on a world wide basis.
A well known coin, Devcoin for example. Take it to it's limit millions of organizations around the world use Devcoin for signaling the creation of creative opensource work, with specific micro-currencies for different endevours that exchange directly and only with Devcoin. Buy Devcoins for general creative work done world wide, buy the micro-currencies for specific works, music, engineering, architecture, etc. In this scenario everyone in the world knows about Devcoin and it's purpose, and is simply gaining creative resources by how well it is accomplishing this task; People buy the respective coins increasing the value of the coins and increasing resources to be expended within the system. A patron of the coin would buy coins and then give them specifically to artist, writers, engineers that they admire and wish their work to continue, or keep it for themselves when they are in a bind and need the cash.

Underneath Devcoin would be MusicCoin, PaintCoin, ArcCoin, etc each with a micro blockchain connected to Devcoins Blockchain but only downloaded for those interested in making specific donations to those efforts instead of a global effort, Multi-Coin wallets would be the norm.  And maybe even-multi-coin interconnectors that would connect not just a projects coin-interface but would be merged with Devcoin because of the efforts that they would come under. For example, if someone was trying to make an floating city, they would make the floating-city-coin project that people could donate too at any time to move the project forward, but it would be tied to Devcoin for all the creation being made to gain extra funding.

The coins in essence act as giant world-wide campaign signals for development of decentralized projects, no need to know who or what is using it, just knowing that the best efforts that this paradigm is creating is becoming available for all humanity.  A different model far more effective and efficient than the current design of NGOs.

The wealth that these coins need for their projects, would be interfaced from Bitcoin or directly purchased with Fiat. The projects would gain acceptance according to how well they were known, how well they did in telling the community and investors how well they are doing... and with Open Transactions, a market for human endevours could be created, think of kickstarter but with coins and the project works the moment you say go.  All your efforts will determine how well you are gaining the trust of the general public to provide the wealth necessary to make the project move forward.

Massive decentralized movements with millions of individuals with decentralized equipment and tools acting like Non-government-organizations creating enormous projects never before possible in this way with minimal paperwork required, just a Forum, a Coin, a great project, and millions of volunteers willing to be paid in Coins with the backing of the general publics purchasing power.

so if someone did complete the floating Arc, at the end where would the coins go? to it's maintenance? it would plummet in price as the endevour was finished and resource use declined, all coins would have to be bought back by the Coinbased- NGO and returned to the community. The ArcCoin blockchain would be maintained as a record of those who contributed to it's creation.

I had a thought like this. A "Nice Jewish Coin" that would be a support for other coins. Like what Frodo's ring was to the others in Lord of the Rings. "One coin to bind them"
jdbtracker

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 07:03:04 PM

I had a thought like this. A "Nice Jewish Coin" that would be a support for other coins. Like what Frodo's ring was to the others in Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Coins, Lord of the Coins: The Two Powers, Lord of the Coins: The Return of the Source.

One Coin to rule them all, One Coin to find them; One Coin to bring them all

and in the darkweb bind them.

This is the future my friend, we have no choice but spread the word to those who will listen, gain their insights and trust to help expand and perfect this technology to it's limits. the more people know the faster this will grow, the more people watch and participate the greater this technology will be as we will all watch out for each others interests, more eyes on the prize makes corruption hard to find.

rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:43:52 PM

What if everyone made a coin for their children as they were born?
No one would be born into debt, and we would all basically be independent nations.

And no coin wuold worth anything

No coin is worth anything when it is made. Just like bitcoin. The community and their goals and achievements are what give them value. Just like the USD.

And a coin based on a child's future is inherently better than a coin that is meant for "the fun of mining".

USERS give value to everything, if you have something that is no use for something and nobody uses it it is worth nothing. But when you have a product that has many users it can be worth many USD

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:31:45 PM

I had a thought like this. A "Nice Jewish Coin" that would be a support for other coins. Like what Frodo's ring was to the others in Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Coins, Lord of the Coins: The Two Powers, Lord of the Coins: The Return of the Source.

One Coin to rule them all, One Coin to find them; One Coin to bring them all

and in the darkweb bind them.

This is the future my friend, we have no choice but spread the word to those who will listen, gain their insights and trust to help expand and perfect this technology to it's limits. the more people know the faster this will grow, the more people watch and participate the greater this technology will be as we will all watch out for each others interests, more eyes on the prize makes corruption hard to find.

When I moved Comcast changed my package without my consent and took FXX off my TV. So I'm talking to their promotions team soon (just waiting for the call) and I am going to tell them about coins, and teach them how they can make money on FXX without ripping us all off.

I'll be making my "Nice Jewish Coin" soon too Smiley
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:33:16 PM

What if everyone made a coin for their children as they were born?
No one would be born into debt, and we would all basically be independent nations.

And no coin wuold worth anything

No coin is worth anything when it is made. Just like bitcoin. The community and their goals and achievements are what give them value. Just like the USD.

And a coin based on a child's future is inherently better than a coin that is meant for "the fun of mining".

USERS give value to everything, if you have something that is no use for something and nobody uses it it is worth nothing. But when you have a product that has many users it can be worth many USD

I'm not hating on miners, I know they are essential. We just need coins that are meant for MORE than just mining. Mining is not to be ignored.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 10:55:08 PM

The big problem with blockchains is they are insanely expensive to secure or they are insanely insecure.

Look at all the crapcoins that came out the last bunch of months, most of them have huge problems trying to secure their chain, and the more of them there are the less hashing power gets devoted each, on average. Plus the miners jump around, in effect attacking the chains instead of really helping them.

That is a large part of why all the specific-arts specific-crafts etc coins the devcoin project plans to implement are not going to be done using blockchains; we still have not even been able to make the devcoin blockchain itself as secure as bitcoin's blockchain, it would be insane to increase our expenses by trying to budget hashing to protect even more blockchains.

Thus all the little specific-purpose currencies are most likely going to be implemented using Open Transactions.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:19:03 AM

The big problem with blockchains is they are insanely expensive to secure or they are insanely insecure.

Look at all the crapcoins that came out the last bunch of months, most of them have huge problems trying to secure their chain, and the more of them there are the less hashing power gets devoted each, on average. Plus the miners jump around, in effect attacking the chains instead of really helping them.

That is a large part of why all the specific-arts specific-crafts etc coins the devcoin project plans to implement are not going to be done using blockchains; we still have not even been able to make the devcoin blockchain itself as secure as bitcoin's blockchain, it would be insane to increase our expenses by trying to budget hashing to protect even more blockchains.

Thus all the little specific-purpose currencies are most likely going to be implemented using Open Transactions.

-MarkM-

I really think that if devcoiners spent more devcoins on getting bitcoins and spending those bitcoins on things they can use to create videos, articles, art, etc for devtome. The price of the coin would sky rocket.

And then everything would be affordable to the devcoin community.

jdbtracker

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:35:22 AM

-MarkM-

Most definitely, so how does OT do it? and why can't we create a hybrid of both, maybe an upgrade that downloads the blockchain from distributed sources in a peer to peer manner?

ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:12:24 AM

Has anyone seen any cool new coins?
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:23:55 PM

A good summary of Alt Coins Value/Popularity based on their market capitalization...

http://coinmarketcap.com/

(thanks to porcupine87 for posting this wonderful resource)

I think by viewing this list, one can get a better idea of what coins might be worth investing.

I like how solid LTC and PPC are entrenched  The trends for some of the top 20 coins also looks fairly encouraging.

Interested in any feedback...

Useless1d1ot

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

Has anyone seen any cool new coins?

TEK: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289490.0

UNO: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=313126

XJO: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299308.0
haightst

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:42:32 PM

I want to add that the best coin to copy for this is Devcoin. They have a model where when I block is mined, 10% of the coins in that block go to the miner, while the other 90% goes in the wallet of a writer.

If I am a good writer, why would I pay out 10% of my income?  That is more expensive than credit card charges!

Again, don't confuse money for wealth.  Writers produce wealth in the form of the stories/articles/whatever they are writing. The currency used to trade that wealth only matters as far as:

+ What can the writer buy with it
+ If the writer saves it, will it buy more or less in the future

why would bitcoiners pay income tax? We don't think taxes are "cool" LOL!!!    Cheesy
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:24:36 PM

This thread has now gone out to over 5,000 people. I'm going to try to get it out to 10,000 by the end of the week.

I am writing a novel this month also though (so may be delayed), for National Novel Writing Month. If anyone would like to join, the website is NanoWrimo.org and there are forums full of people writing books there.

Also,
If you write a book and post it to Devtome, you will get paid devcoins Smiley

haightst

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 07:08:31 PM

This thread has now gone out to over 5,000 people. I'm going to try to get it out to 10,000 by the end of the week.

I am writing a novel this month also though (so may be delayed), for National Novel Writing Month. If anyone would like to join, the website is NanoWrimo.org and there are forums full of people writing books there.

Also,
If you write a book and post it to Devtome, you will get paid devcoins Smiley

I GOT BOOKS ON BOOKS NOW WHAT? LOL!!

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs20/i/2007/305/e/d/Rorschach_Watchmen_Series_by_Thuddleston.jpg
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:35:21 PM

Why don't all coins have videos like this about them yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWsmx6JmqCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eMy2e2FEH4
ANiceJewishBoy (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:16:35 AM

Come help these conspiracy theorists realize that coins can eliminate banks And that making coins is good for everyone:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260628
hypersire

Activity: 596

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:58:09 PM

I think by viewing this list, one can get a better idea of what coins might be worth investing.

I like how solid LTC and PPC are entrenched  The trends for some of the top 20 coins also looks fairly encouraging.

+1

LTC and PPC are both entrenched as you say. I am heavily betting on both. Personally I think PPC is really going to skyrocket. Why?

1) The value of PPC is rising due to the rise in Bitcoin
2) Money is starting to flood into cryptocurrencies - I'm sure many will feel that BTC is too expensive (the whole Satoshi / BTC divisible to 8 decimal places is irrelevant - psychologically, nobody wants to buy 0.0xxx of anything)
3) PPC is not even a dollar a coin - even if it rises to just a couple of bucks each, it will provide a far greater return than BTC at this point
4) At some point some of the ASIC miners out there could start mining PPC instead of BTC

Whatever happens, I think the safest bet is to stick to the top 3 - BTC, LTC and PPC.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: