Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:30:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: snapchat value > bitcoin cap, twitter value X 5 times bitcoin cap  (Read 4353 times)
superduh (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

saw this and tried hard to not laugh.
http://finance.yahoo.com/video/snapchat-worth-3-6b-twitter-194015881.html

how on earth do people consider bitcoins priced too high now when companies that make no money or lose money are priced how they are.
i don't understand humanity or dinosaur investors.

ok
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 10:58:31 PM

Well, it's a similar mechanism.
Moshi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:31:16 PM

I think "too high" to old users refers to the spike in price and not some arbitrary limit. To new users, from what I've gathered, the relatively high price of a single Bitcoin and confusion over their divisibility seems to scare people away.
VincentX

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:22:27 AM

I have a much harder time believing that any of those companies are actually worth that amount of money. It looks to me like they're vastly overvalued.

3.6 billion dollars for a chatbox? And they call this innovation. Come on.
snackman

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

snack of all trades

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 01:56:02 AM

I have a much harder time believing that any of those companies are actually worth that amount of money. It looks to me like they're vastly overvalued.

Guessing you've never used Snapchat... it's a pretty amazingly designed application IMO and is an early frontrunner in lifelogging.

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:11:04 AM

saw this and tried hard to not laugh.
http://finance.yahoo.com/video/snapchat-worth-3-6b-twitter-194015881.html

how on earth do people consider bitcoins priced too high now when companies that make no money or lose money are priced how they are.
i don't understand humanity or dinosaur investors.

I'm there with you. What bitcoin offers and has the potential to do is unarguably worth at least Twitter.  Now, some may say that Twitter/Instagram/StupidApp isn't worth much in the first place but the all powerful market has decided that they are worth obscene billions of dollars so that line of argument is moot. 

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:21:12 AM

Guessing you've never used Snapchat... it's a pretty amazingly designed application IMO and is an early frontrunner in lifelogging.

I agree, it's pretty revolutionary despite how simple the idea is. Complexity does not equal value.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:46:32 AM

With all these flavour of the week apps...as soon as the tweens that use this shit move on to the next new thing they are forgotten and have zero value.
So, why give such a high valuation to something that isn't making money, and has no longevity beyond their user base's brief attention span?

It is stupifying to me that a company like google is buying a $100m company a week at the slightest possibility of new technical innovation and yet is resistant to the game changing idea idea of bitcoin. They could build a big position in bitcoin and open a world scale exchange in a week or two.
Is it because they think they are too late to the party? Or because it isn't innovative enough? or that they can't fully control it end to end?

I just don't understand it either.

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:58:41 PM

those guys are 4 x the bitcoin market cap.

http://www.rovio.com

we are at the beginning of the "e" in early adoption
superduh (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:10:42 PM

With all these flavour of the week apps...as soon as the tweens that use this shit move on to the next new thing they are forgotten and have zero value.
So, why give such a high valuation to something that isn't making money, and has no longevity beyond their user base's brief attention span?

It is stupifying to me that a company like google is buying a $100m company a week at the slightest possibility of new technical innovation and yet is resistant to the game changing idea idea of bitcoin. They could build a big position in bitcoin and open a world scale exchange in a week or two.
Is it because they think they are too late to the party? Or because it isn't innovative enough? or that they can't fully control it end to end?

I just don't understand it either.

very good points. not sure about Google's lack of involvement but at least some of it's engineers are contributing on the side.

just for shits and giggles:

King, the maker of Candy Crush believes that they are worth about 4 billion.
(unlike the first two companies though they are actually making about a million a day, though vastly overpriced)

ok
superduh (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:55:07 PM

lol @ twtter ipo what a joke the stock market is

ok
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:12:15 PM

Pretty much every IPO nowadays is a pump-n-dump in disguise.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:41:49 AM

$3.6 BILLION valuation, and no plan on how to actually make money yet.   Roll Eyes

The "app" bubble.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:24:49 AM

lmao, remind anyone of the dot come bubble?

That said, shut up and take my money.

EDIT: How in God's name could snapchat (Was it snapchat?) be worth anywhere near that? The only way I can see them ever making money is by advertising on phones, and while teens are snapchatting fap pictures back and forth, I don't think they'll be focusing on the ads being displayed. When there is a pic of your cheerleader classmate banging herself silly and you only have 10 seconds to memorize that image or find a way to take a screenshot without them knowing - IS ANYONE GOING TO LOOK AT THE DAMN AD BAR? NO!!!! I'd doubt if the entire network over years would net 3.6 billion to the advertisers. Sure it's a popular app with a lot of downloads, but it'd take quite some time to show a legit valuation of any number of billions, and this type of stuff is as fad-ish as it comes. It'll be dead in 2 years, replaced by some other "cool" app.

Their best chance of earning that type of money would be to put a wallet stealer in the app... wait... said too much already. Don't want to give them any ideas.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:16:14 AM

lmao, remind anyone of the dot come bubble?

That said, shut up and take my money.

EDIT: How in God's name could snapchat (Was it snapchat?) be worth anywhere near that? The only way I can see them ever making money is by advertising on phones, and while teens are snapchatting fap pictures back and forth, I don't think they'll be focusing on the ads being displayed. When there is a pic of your cheerleader classmate banging herself silly and you only have 10 seconds to memorize that image or find a way to take a screenshot without them knowing - IS ANYONE GOING TO LOOK AT THE DAMN AD BAR? NO!!!! I'd doubt if the entire network over years would net 3.6 billion to the advertisers. Sure it's a popular app with a lot of downloads, but it'd take quite some time to show a legit valuation of any number of billions, and this type of stuff is as fad-ish as it comes. It'll be dead in 2 years, replaced by some other "cool" app.

Their best chance of earning that type of money would be to put a wallet stealer in the app... wait... said too much already. Don't want to give them any ideas.

Worse still, how on earth I am going to believe it's "burn after reading" after seeing an ad that's specifically targeted at me based on what  I am receiving daily?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 04:50:17 AM

Worse still, how on earth I am going to believe it's "burn after reading" after seeing an ad that's specifically targeted at me based on what  I am receiving daily?

HA! Yes. "Enjoying Snapshot? Want to see more photos of Tiffany naked? Only $9.95 Click here!"

EDIT: I guess some ads might be effective. Above... as well as "Want to save snapshot photos without sending notifications? Click here!"

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
mvidetto

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:42:54 PM

At the end of the day people like buying into hype and popular things.  Unfortunately, bitcoin isn't quite there on the popularity index but has been hyped by the press.  It's only a matter of time until the market capitalization of bitcoin surpasses both because of its uniqueness and far greater uses.
superduh (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:04:53 PM

fb offered 3 billion for snapchat
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/11/13/report-facebook-offered-snapchat-3-billion/3517929/

wtf is wrong with people. if snapchat is worth anywhere close to 3 billion, and twitter is worth 20 billion (supposedly) than bitcoins are worth 10 trillion at least, even today!!!!!

i also predict that 2014 will be the year of social media implosion where stock market especially social media ones will go to shit.
fb at 50 billion, twitter at 3 billion, snapchat at 100 million. fucking joke this is, i swear. i wake up sometimes and think that someone is playing a joke on the world.

people never learn: bebo, myspace, groupon, livingsocial, renren, friendster

rest in peace crazy valuations.

ok
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:18:45 PM

Maybe on the Snapchat message boards they're all wondering, "WTF is this bitcoin bullshit? How can that have a market cap of $4 billion? The only thing anyone uses it for is to tip reddit users and buy subway sandwiches!" Just because you all fail to recognize the utility of it, doesn't mean it's worthless. We may be on the forefront of the digital currency boom, but the fact is that Snapchat likely has larger user base than bitcoin. lol. I'm not knocking bitcoin, I love it, but there's a lot of doubt still as to whether people -- on a wide scale -- will be willing to use bitcoin and make it a success.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:29:22 PM

We're the new wealthy elites. In 5 years everyone on this board will have a fleet of yachts!

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: