Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:04:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-10-29 CBC NEWS - World's first bitcoin ATM opens in Vancouver  (Read 979 times)
medicine (OP)

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 10:59:43 PM

Here is the link to today's story.  Another milestone for the community.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/world-s-first-bitcoin-atm-opens-in-vancouver-1.2286877

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
medicine (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 01:30:25 AM

After initially being so pro about this story I have now started thinking about how similar this to a normal bank.  This is a great and needed service offered buy Bitcoiniacs and Robocoin, and they do obviously need to get paid for this service, but it sort of goes against one of the purposes of bitcoin which is to do away with banks and centralized control. 

This ATM is very cool, and so is Waves Cafe for hosting it.  I think what it needs is a couple bitcoiners standing next to it offering to sell bitcoin for a cheaper rate then the machine.  Then is will be perfect.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 03:46:26 AM

I'm sure rates will come down as volume of transactions increase and number of ATMs (competition) increases.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:06:28 AM

After initially being so pro about this story I have now started thinking about how similar this to a normal bank.  This is a great and needed service offered buy Bitcoiniacs and Robocoin, and they do obviously need to get paid for this service, but it sort of goes against one of the purposes of bitcoin which is to do away with banks and centralized control. 

This ATM is very cool, and so is Waves Cafe for hosting it.  I think what it needs is a couple bitcoiners standing next to it offering to sell bitcoin for a cheaper rate then the machine.  Then is will be perfect.

It doesn't go against the goal of bitcoin because it is simply an option. It would be impossible to force anyone to go through robocoin for their BTC.

Isn't this what the free market is all about?

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
medicine (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 04:42:53 AM

It doesn't go against the goal of bitcoin because it is simply an option. It would be impossible to force anyone to go through robocoin for their BTC.

Isn't this what the free market is all about?
Yes your right, it's just an option.  And like I mentioned in another thread, I will be there mid December to snap my picture next to it and maybe make a transaction Smiley
medicine (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:56:37 PM

Stopped by Waves cafe in Vancouver today and snapped an image of the machine.  Very cool

Peace
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 12:09:36 AM

Stopped by Waves cafe in Vancouver today and snapped an image of the machine.  Very cool

Peace

Buy or sell any bitcoin?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
medicine (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 12:41:41 AM

Nope, but 3 or 4 people bought coins while I was having a coffee.  Cool place to hang out and talk with other bitcoiners.  I was surprised to meet people who were more excited about it than I was.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: