Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:13:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Totally new to BTC - looking for the best way to share some CPU Time  (Read 470 times)
m4kkin4 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:14:56 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2013, 10:37:56 AM by m4kkin4

Hello everybody!
I'm totally new to the topic. I have nothing installed nor a wallet yet. I'm just starting it as an hobby, and will see where it takes. My purpose is to set up a LAN with a dedicated Laptop running a server for my others PCs to connect, and the whole network acting as a client joined to a mining pool. My searches in the next few days will go in this direction. If in the while somebody would point me to some piece of software I'd appeciate.

edit after the first answers: I've not expectations, I'm starting from 0, not investing money. I have four PCs and i work with them. the laptop is the one i'm using less and i can dedicate. I like as a case study, I like the the distributed calculus and I like the idea to add a computer to the network when i'm not working with it. If one day I'll earn something who knows... this I mean with will see where it takes.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:19:10 AM

Hello everybody!
I'm totally new to the topic. I have nothing installed nor a wallet yet. I'm just starting it as an hobby, and will see where it takes. My purpose is to set up a LAN with a dedicated Laptop running a server for my others PCs to connect, and the whole network acting as a client joined to a mining pool. My searches in the next few days will go in this direction. If in the while somebody would point me to some piece of software I'd appeciate.

Nice hobby project. But like any hobby it will cost you more money than it actually makes.

If you want to do it for the fun of building stuff, do it. If you expect to earn money, don't.

1. This Hardware won't make you any money anyway.
2. Mining is not a get rich scheme. But a highly competitive business with no entry barriers (everyone can start a mining). Like all this businesses the profit margins are minimal at best.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:24:01 AM

Hello everybody!

You're about 3 years too late for CPU based mining, 1 year too late for GPU based mining. This will yield nothing but tears and a personal thank you message from your electric company (the thank you message is posted while drunk on expensive champagne and stuffed on beluga caviar during the party in Aruba with the scantily clad nubile virgins all financed by your generous contribution).
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:25:16 AM

There are too many wrong expectations about Bitcoin mining, it will not earn you a profit.
But you should learn about the Bitcoin system in general, it's way more than just mining.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:56:30 AM

I think you should mine primecoin instead if you are doing CPU mining, since it is limited to CPU, unlike other coin which can use GPU or ASIC.

In term of bitcoin, it is cheaper to buy them then to mine them. There are a lot of areas you can look into bitcoin, such as trading them on an exchange or open a localbitcoin account, and buy and sell bitcoin.
Dinione

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:46:35 PM

Try some bitcoin forks using  scrypt as a proof-of-work scheme, like Litecoins.
Your CPU is not competitive with ASIC devices.
zuerdemon

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:06:45 PM

Minning Bitcoins with CPU is waste of your computers. You might try mine Primecoin because it cant be mined wih GPU
udaredme

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:20:53 PM

or bottlecap mining...It seems to take a lot less to mine, both physically and financially.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: