Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:23:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving away paybtc.com domain name for free, for a payment gateway  (Read 1997 times)
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 07:42:11 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2011, 09:20:51 PM by joepie91

A while ago, I registered the domain paybtc.com with the intention to create a free payment processing system that worked similar to PayPal and could easily be integrated. However, I have a lot of things to do, and can't really find the time to work on a reliable and secure payment gateway - so I'm giving away the domain.

However, there are a few conditions:
* You must be a reputable community member, and I will only give it away if I trust you will keep to the promises below.
* The domain must be used to set up a publicly accessible payment gateway that can be used by anyone (unless you are explicitly banned for abuse etc., of course).
* The payment gateway must be free and not charge any fees. Accepting donations (which I've found to be a perfectly viable 'business model' of sorts) is of course fine, as long as there is no mandatory payment or fees involved in using the gateway - not as a merchant and not as a 'consumer'.
* The payment gateway must, when using a callback system, use a 'double callback' to report back to the merchant site - meaning it will call an URL on the merchant site after payment, and requires the merchant site to call back to the gateway explicitly (verifying transaction ID, amount, etc) to verify that the initial callback was legitimate and not spoofed. Optionally it could have a 'transaction type' where the gateway sends a predefined email after the transaction succeeds instead of making a callback (useful for static merchant sites), but this is not required.
* The payment gateway must provide some sort of API, that allows merchants to make their cart software 'create payment requests' server-side, so that no actual price and callback info is actually sent on the clientside (to prevent the well-known now-defunct PayPal Tamper Data hack).

Ideally, this project would be run by someone who has some experience in running free (donation-funded) bitcoin services, but this is not a requirement.
Ideally, the payments could also be directly forwarded to the 'actual' address of the merchant, rather than functioning as an e-wallet - but this is also, while useful, not a requirement.

As you may have noticed most of the conditions I listed are related to the security, something I believe is very important. I originally bought the domain with the idea to set up a secure payment gateway that merchants could trust to be secure, so that it would be trivial to adopt it for current webshops. This is also why I focused on things like using an API to create payment requests (making POST data tampering impossible), double callbacks (to prevent spoofing), and directly forwarding payments to the merchant rather than an e-wallet system (to keep as little funds as possible on the server at all times).
My main goal was to set up a payment gateway that could seriously make a difference in the acceptance of Bitcoin by existing stores - by making implementation trivial and secure, not requiring the installation of any specific software (like a bitcoind) or having to write custom code to handle payments, making it attractive to implement, and not having to trust a shady third party that cannot be held accounted for anything because noone knows who he really is - and I expect any person that I will transfer this domain name to will have the same goals.

I am aware that the above conditions may be strict and come across arrogant, but I believe paybtc.com is a VERY good domain name for a service like this, and I would only want to transfer it to someone who genuinely believes in the idea, genuinely wants to put effort into making it reality, and can genuinely be trusted to stick to his promise. I am not looking for someone who wants to turn a maximum profit at all costs, I am looking for someone who believes in the idea and wants to go for it, and move the Bitcoin concept forward.

EDIT: All of the above conditions were conditions I had originally put for myself - this is basically the concept I had in mind. If I can't find anyone to do this, I will just work on it at a later point when I have more time - but if anyone can set up something like this earlier, I would be glad to give them the domain.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 07:19:40 AM

hi joepie.

if noone is willing or able to do the above (i probably don't have time), then perhaps i can buy the domain off you, to strengthen my brand.
OutCast3k

Activity: 714
Merit: 601

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:04:33 AM

I've setup https://coinb.in which I think matches your specification.

Let me know what you think.

coinb.in - Open Source, Multi Signature, HD Wallet and more! | Donate: 33tht1bKDgZVxb39MnZsWa8oxHXHvUYE4G
Lorna Morgan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I like Bitcoin, Monero and BCash

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 12:50:47 PM

I wouldn't give away the domain if I were you.

This is a service that a lot of us would like to see, and merchants (that's what I am) need if they want to grow the use and usability of the bitcoin as a viable currency.

Currently my MyBitCoin gateway link languishes [ http://lorna-morgan.com/big-nude-boobs/join/join.html ], but in fairness I could see the writing on the wall for a free service with no identifiable company or figurehead behind it.

I have the domain http://billco.in registered through my company and would like to have a similar system set up to the one you describe except;

* The payment gateway must be free and not charge any fees. Accepting donations (which I've found to be a perfectly viable 'business model' of sorts) is of course fine, as long as there is no mandatory payment or fees involved in using the gateway - not as a merchant and not as a 'consumer'.

My experience of donation based projects it that they are fine for sidelines and vanity/fun experiments. As soon as you start playing with other people's money (or bitcoins) you really NEED to charge something for everyone's sake. The project must self finance, be attractive enough to draw investment when needed, be able to afford to fix security holes quickly, and strangely by charging you give a value to the service of looking after the processing of MONEY.

As long as the price is not excessive, but is enough for trust to exist, I don't think there would be a problem.

I would be happy to discuss a co-operative agreement between interested parties that would work towards the promotion, coding, security and long term success of such a system. Maybe allowing for a number of allied sites working together, yet serving their niche in the best way for that business type.

What do you think?

Love Lorna xxx want to show your appreciation? 18wniNA6JfAVdZJi8if9k4JEHZgEu6kNRA
Lorna Morgan Facebook | Twitter
Lorna Morgan

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 12:52:42 PM

I'll check this out tomorrow and try to integrate it with my site.

Would you be interested in the co-op idea?

Love Lorna xxx want to show your appreciation? 18wniNA6JfAVdZJi8if9k4JEHZgEu6kNRA
Lorna Morgan

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 08:31:49 PM

Well I'm already impressed, I'm user 101.

I'll implement this tomorrow, time willing on my site.

I'm im awe! Well done hun it really looks brilliant.

OutCast3k

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:38:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words Lorna.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind regarding a co-op idea, but it has intrigued me...

coinb.in - Open Source, Multi Signature, HD Wallet and more! | Donate: 33tht1bKDgZVxb39MnZsWa8oxHXHvUYE4G
semyazza

Activity: 339

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 01:29:15 AM

We would be interested in setting this up.  The only problem we have is the ability to charge.  We could offer a basic e-wallet/merchant services for free and then additional charges.  If you would be interested or want to discuss more feel free to contact.
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:22:00 AM

hi joepie.

if noone is willing or able to do the above (i probably don't have time), then perhaps i can buy the domain off you, to strengthen my brand.

I am not looking to sell the domain.

My experience of donation based projects it that they are fine for sidelines and vanity/fun experiments. As soon as you start playing with other people's money (or bitcoins) you really NEED to charge something for everyone's sake. The project must self finance, be attractive enough to draw investment when needed, be able to afford to fix security holes quickly, and strangely by charging you give a value to the service of looking after the processing of MONEY.

As long as the price is not excessive, but is enough for trust to exist, I don't think there would be a problem.
My experience of donation based projects is that they are easily funded by donations alone, and that I literally live off donations without any job or other income stream next to it that is not completely voluntary for people to contribute to. I don't see why that would have to be different for a payment gateway.
Quite often have people told me that certain things were not going to work ("how can you possibly live without having a job or social security payments?!") yet everytime things go fine. Possibilities are only limited if you think they are limited. "Doomsaying" won't ever get any work done.

We would be interested in setting this up.  The only problem we have is the ability to charge.  We could offer a basic e-wallet/merchant services for free and then additional charges.  If you would be interested or want to discuss more feel free to contact.
The conditions as they are in the OP stand and will not change, regardless of offer.

It does look very nice and I think it's a good service and pretty much matches my conditions, however you don't appear to be a very well-known person in the community which is an issue, plus you already have a very good domain (imo).

I would like to remind people once more that the conditions as above won't change, and that I'm active here out of ideological reasons, not because I want to make money. If you want to try and offer money to get around the conditions, don't bother - I am not interested in commercial dealings. I'd want this domain to end up with someone who isn't in it for the money, but because he believes in the concept. If noone is found, then I will just keep the domain name and set it up myself along those specifications at a later point in time when I have the time for it.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Lorna Morgan

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 08:42:55 AM

My experience of donation based projects is that they are easily funded by donations alone, and that I literally live off donations without any job or other income stream next to it that is not completely voluntary for people to contribute to. I don't see why that would have to be different for a payment gateway.
Quite often have people told me that certain things were not going to work ("how can you possibly live without having a job or social security payments?!") yet everytime things go fine. Possibilities are only limited if you think they are limited. "Doomsaying" won't ever get any work done.

I would like to remind people once more that the conditions as above won't change, and that I'm active here out of ideological reasons, not because I want to make money. If you want to try and offer money to get around the conditions, don't bother - I am not interested in commercial dealings. I'd want this domain to end up with someone who isn't in it for the money, but because he believes in the concept. If noone is found, then I will just keep the domain name and set it up myself along those specifications at a later point in time when I have the time for it.

I think, on reflection, @joepie91 is right. You must stick to your principles to be happy.

Good luck with everything.

OutCast3k

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 08:53:05 AM

It does look very nice and I think it's a good service and pretty much matches my conditions, however you don't appear to be a very well-known person in the community which is an issue, plus you already have a very good domain (imo).

Thanks for your feedback, I'm actually quite happy with the domain i'm using, and I simply wanted to share my project/idea, as you had something similar in mind to myself - I wasn't asking for the domain Smiley

I totally understand your concerns, I suspect its going to be difficult to gain trust with this type of service, especially after the MyBitcoin fiasco. I'm not sure if it makes much difference, but I have loosely linked https://coinb.in to my other businesses (see the footer) in an attempt to be slightly less anonymous and more trusting.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:31:44 AM

404 Not Found

any further plans for this domain?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: