Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:02:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to set up new DNS Seeds for an altcoin?  (Read 10539 times)
shamoons (OP)

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:57:54 PM

I noticed that in the bitcoin source code, we have:
Code:
static const char *strMainNetDNSSeed[][2] = {
    {"bitcoin.sipa.be", "seed.bitcoin.sipa.be"},
    {"bluematt.me", "dnsseed.bluematt.me"},
    {"dashjr.org", "dnsseed.bitcoin.dashjr.org"},
    {"xf2.org", "bitseed.xf2.org"},
    {NULL, NULL}
};

If I'm creating my own altcoin, I should probably start by changing these seed nodes. When setting up a new node, how exactly will it return data? Are these the domains that point to bitcoin clients currently running and from that, the process of peer discovery can grow?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin-hotep

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:39:54 AM

Please help
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=380259.0

ArpFlush

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:20:15 AM

Sorry, I got no answer for you cause I'm looking for the same information. Hope someone of this community is willing to share his knowledge?  Wink

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 09:27:10 AM

Someone told me once upon a time that seeds are not nodes but, rather, hostnames / subdomains / domains whose DNS is on a modified DNS-server, one that has been modified to use the list of current live nodes to populate the hostname with currently live nodes.

So basically instead of merely plugging into your DNS a whole bunch of IP addresses that people have claimed they would maintain nodes at, your DNS server itself answers DNS queries with the IP address of nodes that actually are alive at the time and actually do have their incoming port open at the time.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 09:34:10 AM

Someone told me once upon a time that seeds are not nodes but, rather, hostnames / subdomains / domains whose DNS is on a modified DNS-server, one that has been modified to use the list of current live nodes to populate the hostname with currently live nodes.

So basically instead of merely plugging into your DNS a whole bunch of IP addresses that people have claimed they would maintain nodes at, your DNS server itself answers DNS queries with the IP address of nodes that actually are alive at the time and actually do have their incoming port open at the time.

-MarkM-

That's a pretty slick little trick.

Does anyone know of a repo for anything like that?

But wouldn't it just be a lot easier to have a simple HTTP response with a text list of 1 IP per line?

Is there any real advantage to using a modified DNS server?

ArpFlush

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:29:10 PM

In case we're talking about a Litecoin clone (scrypt), I've read somewhere that mentioning DNS Seeds in the coding (in net.cpp) isn't necessary but I don't know if this statement is correct.

simbo

Activity: 165

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:30:17 PM

The main reason of having DNS seed server is to solve the "no connection" issue. The wallet(client) check-in to DNS seed server when it start up to 1. report to it as an active node & 2. get other active nodes available.

DNS seed is optional for most crypto currencies, but for a new alt coin, better to have it as it helps a lot with connection issues.

It is NOT a node.

https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin-seeder

Regards.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
ArpFlush

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:32:45 PM

The main reason of having DNS seed server is to solve the "no connection" issue. The wallet(client) check-in to DNS seed server when it start up to 1. report to it as an active node & 2. get other active nodes available.

DNS seed is optional for most crypto currencies, but for a new alt coin, better to have it as it helps a lot with connection issues.

It is NOT a node.

https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin-seeder

Regards.

Thanks for that link

huolongyema

Activity: 156

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:44:59 AM

hi,all
       I had the same question,I had created a new coin and delete thes code.My coin used conf file to help us connect with each other,but sometimes,client show no connection.How can i solve,should i creat a dns service by myself,and write dns address in the code?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: