Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:10:19 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: do you work out profit in usd, or in btc or eth?  (Read 72 times)
tonmoycrypto (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:37:18 AM

Hi all, have a beginner question. if i purchased gvt for .041200eth @ $32.00usd and sold at .050000eth @ $27.00usd. is this a loss or profit? this is a theoretical question. thanks
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:41:48 AM

In my opinion the best way to calculate profit is in FIAT (so USD or EUR)... but if you have bought a coin with ETH that you already have, I would calculate profit in ETH and not based on ETH price in $ or €.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:58:13 AM

It is both. A profit in terms of ETH, but a loss in terms of fiat.

It is worth keeping track of your trades in both fiat and BTC/ETH/base coin. Tracking against fiat tells you if you are making money or not. Tracking against your base coin tells you if you are making good trades, or if you would be better off just buying and holding your base coin.
midgey

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:02:19 AM

I measure in fiat, its what you can withdraw and spend.

Investing and saving of coins on the other hand may be your goal for future growth... in this case you cannot measure profit or loss until you are going to sell Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: