Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:54:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it about bitcoin that brings the "pan-handler" out of everyone?  (Read 5987 times)
Meatpile (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 11:12:59 PM

I would say the majority of bitcoin users on this forum all have some kind of donation address that is posted everywhere they go... This has got to be the only place in the world where non poor people are constantly groveling for handouts.

This is a purely psychological inquiry. Any ideas why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 11:18:13 PM

I would have tipped you for this post but you didn't list a donation address  Huh

Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 11:24:28 PM

I would have tipped you for this post but you didn't list a donation address  Huh

+1! 8^)

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 11:54:12 PM

I would say the majority of bitcoin users on this forum all have some kind of donation address that is posted everywhere they go... This has got to be the only place in the world where non poor people are constantly groveling for handouts.

This is a purely psychological inquiry. Any ideas why?
Normally we don't tip people, even when they provide us with value, because it is awkward and inconvenient. With bitcoins, it is convenient and there's no awkwardness. So there's no reason not to exchange value for value.

I don't think it's fair to characterize a purely voluntary tip in exchange for something of value with "groveling for handouts".

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Meatpile (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:07:30 AM

So you are saying that with bitcoins is very easy, and without any face to face awkwardness?

I find it really awkward when people expect tips in an already overpriced business, such as coat check at nightclubs. But I have never felt awkward about tipping waitresses who really get payed shit all. (then again now that places try to pool and share tips, and the owners taking a cut too? yuck)

The bitcoin community is an economically focused and nerdy pile of people. Which means they generally have the wealth to afford high end computers or thousands of dollars of speculative trading assets. That is not the kind of people that I picture holding out their hat everywhere they go asking for donations.

I have never seen this same thing anywhere else, I have no experience with second life. But can anyone tell me if every person has some kind of advertisement plastered to their back in game to solicit donations?

Even something like team fortress 2 items. You can get occasional spamming of someone wanting to trade... But there I have never actually seen anyone saying "can I have <whatever> for free?" over and over like you would expect.

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 01:18:29 AM

The bitcoin community is an economically focused and nerdy pile of people. Which means they generally have the wealth to afford high end computers or thousands of dollars of speculative trading assets. That is not the kind of people that I picture holding out their hat everywhere they go asking for donations.

I am dirt poor ("overqualified" for virtually all actual paying jobs it seems; I did somehow manage to pay rent for this month!), but I have a few older computers and one crappy GPU that puts out a laughable 17mhs (using it to test different pools and concepts).

You don't see a place to give me a tip. I'm flat out asking for a business loan so that we can both profit.

8^)

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
KBundy

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 01:44:43 AM

Greetings all,

Excellent question meatpile, I'm glad you asked.  I think there are several viable answers to your question.

1) Because of the new free economy that bitcoin is creating, people are all about supporting their fellow bitcoin brethren.

2) People love to tip other people for valuable information.

3) Because we will all be paying less miscellaneous fees to evil centralized bodies, we can spare a little more. Smiley

If you liked my answers, feel free to tip! ;P

1JtdG7teNHqPCEkq5kFcmzddhyTAkP69s5
Meatpile (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:22:42 AM

KBundy I think it is interesting you mentioned all nice reasons to leave a tip, not why everyone would start putting up tip addresses in the first place.

So your thinking is that everyone is doing it because there is actually a lot of tipping going on?

Or do you think that an opportunity/reason came up to tip someone, which then gave them the notion they should put up their own tip address as well?

antares

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:54:45 AM

So you are saying that with bitcoins is very easy, and without any face to face awkwardness?

I find it really awkward when people expect tips in an already overpriced business, such as coat check at nightclubs. But I have never felt awkward about tipping waitresses who really get payed shit all. (then again now that places try to pool and share tips, and the owners taking a cut too? yuck)

I have never seen this same thing anywhere else, I have no experience with second life. But can anyone tell me if every person has some kind of advertisement plastered to their back in game to solicit donations?

Even something like team fortress 2 items. You can get occasional spamming of someone wanting to trade... But there I have never actually seen anyone saying "can I have <whatever> for free?" over and over like you would expect.

well. see it like this - when people provide answers that are really needed, other forums implement a thank you button. People are generally willing to thank others for their work, not just by pressing a button, but more like having them receive a tip. But how would you do it in the real world? Well the only real option would be to use GayPal. And this won't pay off, because in most cases, ebay/GayPal would be the only ones to profit from this. However, with bitcoins, it is possible to give a small "Thank You" without having to pay massive fees.

By the way, my Donate-Address is just there because everyone elses Address is in the same place at theirs too. I woudnt really ask for or expect donations, however I will take anything.

Oh, and one last... Many people have their addresses in their signatures because they hope for some early bitcoin-rich adaptors having a happy day.
The_JMiner

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:15:36 AM

Because the beggars think because you did not "Work" for it (like labor) you would give it away more easily.

Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:31:01 AM

I have an address in my signature.  Here is how I see it. If I get free money for posting on a forum there is absolutely no downside.  Granted I never go around begging for a donation.  I used a unique address just to see if anyone is ever foolish enough to donate to me.  There is some guy who keeps touting his triplemining minipool on every post he can.  It is painful to watch.
KBundy

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:21:39 AM

KBundy I think it is interesting you mentioned all nice reasons to leave a tip, not why everyone would start putting up tip addresses in the first place.

So your thinking is that everyone is doing it because there is actually a lot of tipping going on?

Or do you think that an opportunity/reason came up to tip someone, which then gave them the notion they should put up their own tip address as well?

Honestly, the facts that,

a. Goodwill is promoted by a free economy.
+
b. Tips can be sent anonymously and without fees.

should be reason enough to promote the act of doing so.  However, the reasons why most people are posting donation addresses are:

a. Everyone else is doing it and they're hoping to get lucky.
+
b. Some people put a lot of work or time into a project or idea, deserve compensation for their efforts, and other recognize and respond accordingly.

-KBundy
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 12:28:10 AM

We're not all "non" poor. Any mining equipment i have save for one card i bought new is second hand usually picked up from CL when i saw a particuarlly good deal(like a 40 dollar desktop with a psu and pci express slot good enough to hold a 5870) And as far as groveling for handouts i particularlly in the hardware section take time to consider when other users ask a question about overheating or settings for a card if experience and a bit of effort isn't worth 2c to them no one is forcing them to give it but if i had a problem here and was handed a good answer by one or a few users i myself would consider sending a bit of a bit coin or two relative to how much that answer is worth to me.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Johnny Pizza

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 04:45:09 PM

I don't like all that begging going on around these forums. Nowhere else on the internet do you see the beggars sticking thier palms out for a few cents. pretty pathetic.  Cool
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:11:45 PM

I don't like all that begging going on around these forums. Nowhere else on the internet do you see the beggars sticking thier palms out for a few cents. pretty pathetic.  Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXHiMN1j0U
Watch from 4:38-6:10 to see why we're beggars, begging from beggars. Then see my sig and please donate.

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 12:29:40 AM

please refer to signature. xD

most I've noticed, even before I turned off signatures is girls/women/guys acting like cute girls doing this.

something like:
oh I'm just a girl!
Could u pwetty pwease give me er gimmee sum wittle bitcoins? he he!

everytime I see that, I imagine some fat kid wearing a mickey mouse cap on the other end of the address.
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:42:12 AM

most I've noticed, even before I turned off signatures is girls/women/guys acting like cute girls doing this.

something like:
oh I'm just a girl!

everytime I see that, I imagine some fat kid wearing a mickey mouse cap on the other end of the address.

And what, pray tell, is this:

"
We wants da monies Mr Lebowski!!
1CRcJUNAPvHYd888jLiwRZacwSQDNSFPfh
"

Huh 8^)

Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 12:56:33 AM

something like:
oh I'm just a girl!

"
"

Huh 8^)

whoa! you've never seen The Big Lebowski?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/

I'll find you a link if you haven't, it's a great timeless comedy.
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:59:57 AM

something like:
oh I'm just a girl!

"
"

? 8^)

whoa! you've never seen The Big Lebowski?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/

I'll find you a link if you haven't, it's a great timeless comedy.

I guess you missed the fact that *you* are begging for handouts in *your* sig (you know the one you turned off so you can't see any more 8^)

Tasty Champa

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:04:38 AM

and whacha gonna do about it??
xD
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: