Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:59:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you used Lightning yet? How did it go?  (Read 255 times)
Nathan047 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 03:07:08 PM

I keep hearing that Lightning is live now (although not very well adopted yet). Have you used it yet (even just to test it), and if so how did it work and what are the steps you would need to take in order to use it?

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 04:27:08 PM

I tried to run a node on my linux setup and it was not possible for me. It kept crashing. I think I compiled everything properly but it didn't work.

I managed to make it work on my windows setup but never got around doing actual transactions. I think I tested on testnet buying some coffee cups on this website: https://starblocks.acinq.co/

Im not going to bother for now, I don't have enough time but I will get into it, and meanwhile it will get more refined. Don't risk any bitcoins that you cannot afford to lose on mainnet.
jrian

Activity: 39
Merit: 6

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 05:33:02 PM

already trying to understand how its works. Few days ago setup node on mainnet. And successfully paid 145 satoshi somewhere for test Smiley

It's working, but I'm not sure I'm ready to transfer all my satoshi to Lightning network today.

you can see nodes&channels map and statistics here https://lnmainnet.gaben.win/

Stonetium

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:42:02 PM

I tried to run a node on my linux setup and it was not possible for me. It kept crashing. I think I compiled everything properly but it didn't work.

I managed to make it work on my windows setup but never got around doing actual transactions. I think I tested on testnet buying some coffee cups on this website: https://starblocks.acinq.co/

Im not going to bother for now, I don't have enough time but I will get into it, and meanwhile it will get more refined. Don't risk any bitcoins that you cannot afford to lose on mainnet.

Dumb question...can you run your setup as a miner and as a lightning node...or it still the same thing?
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:57:23 AM

Dumb question...can you run your setup as a miner and as a lightning node...or it still the same thing?
They are different things entirely.
Miners exist on the base layer, there are no miners in the Lightning Network layer.
In fact you do not need miners at all when using the Lightning Network until settlement.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3647

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 09:01:08 AM

I will tell you about my personal experience with lightning network and Zap-Desktop App:
1. Installation of App: used Windows 8.1 operating system, installation took about 12 minutes.
2. Zap interface: the interface of this application is already attractive and is characterized by ease.
3. payment channel: I bought some free testnet BTC and after the confirmation process I was able to open a channel(Peers ---> Add new peer ----> channels --->  create a payment channel)
4. receive payments: click "payment request".

I'm not sure about that but I do not think we will need to download the entire network of blockchain when we use the lightning network.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:13:14 PM

I will tell you about my personal experience with lightning network and Zap-Desktop App:
1. Installation of App: used Windows 8.1 operating system, installation took about 12 minutes.
2. Zap interface: the interface of this application is already attractive and is characterized by ease.
3. payment channel: I bought some free testnet BTC and after the confirmation process I was able to open a channel(Peers ---> Add new peer ----> channels --->  create a payment channel)
4. receive payments: click "payment request".

I'm not sure about that but I do not think we will need to download the entire network of blockchain when we use the lightning network.
Based on the White paper, you will not.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 02:18:39 PM

I keep hearing that Lightning is live now (although not very well adopted yet). Have you used it yet (even just to test it), and if so how did it work and what are the steps you would need to take in order to use it?

Base on my evaluation. The statement of the reply posts in this thread seems like saying that lightning network is not yet stable, it's picky to different Operating  system so if ever OP is attempting to use or learn about Lightning Network then a suggestion is you can get back after months or let's say years for the stabilitity of use of Lightning Network. If you Op see a 70 out of 100 % sure, saying that LN is functioning well then you can jump to it. As it is.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 02:30:07 PM
Merited by ebliever (2), ABCbits (1)

If you want to open a channel on the lightning network you need to have the full blockchain stored.

But there will be lightweight clients to access the LN, for sure. Just like it was with wallets.
To have a synced wallet on your PC you need the blockchain. Or you rely on a 3rd party to give you the information you need.

The same applies to the LN. To open up a channel without the need of trusting anyone, you need the whole blockchain.
But if you rely on information from 3rd party server you can use a lightweight client (e.g. https://github.com/mit-dci/lit).
Note, that this client is still being developed and every software on the LN should be used carefully.

nicosey

Activity: 347
Merit: 109

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 11:02:35 AM

From my understanding you need to run a bitcoin node while running lightning?
Nathan047 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 02:54:18 PM

Yes, I believe so. The difference is that the node will account for the transaction but not submit it to the blockchain until it can do so with a bunch of other transactions, that way the fee is much cheaper.

I'm starting a technology blog T4CH.top, check it out!
vincentbeth934

Activity: 77
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 02:58:34 PM

Yes, I believe so. The difference is that the node will account for the transaction but not submit it to the blockchain until it can do so with a bunch of other transactions, that way the fee is much cheaper.

So does this mean that it still uses the same 'batching' method as some exchanges are already doing? Not complaining but I thought transactions get instantly confirmed with lightning.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 03:33:43 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2018, 06:13:00 AM by Xynerise

So does this mean that it still uses the same 'batching' method as some exchanges are already doing? Not complaining but I thought transactions get instantly confirmed with lightning.
No, Lightning Network transactions are different from transaction batching.
A lightning channel is a multisig address with pre-signed spend transactions that you change everytime you transact over it.
In fact they don't take place on the blockchain at all (only the channel opening and closing do), that's why they are fast.
This is a good FAQ on how the Lightning Network works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: