Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:37:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump: "Amazon Pays Little Or No Taxes, Puts Retailers Out Of Business"  (Read 115 times)
Hydrogen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

Update: If President Trump's tweet was not enough, White House spokesperson Raj Shah has just confirmed that tax policies need to catch up to Amazon, and President Trump would support tax changes aimed at leveling the playing field, which now favors the online retailer as Amazon has advantage over brick and mortar stores.

“Right now, there is no Internet sales tax and as a result companies like Amazon can buy and sell goods without having to pay basic retail taxes,”

AMZN is extending its losses on these latest headlines...

Image link: https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/styles/inline_image_desktop/public/inline-images/2018-03-29_5-53-13.jpg

As we detailed earlier, the main driver behind yesterday's FANG plunge, was a report in Axios, according to which it was not Facebook that Trump wants to go after, but rather Amazon:

“He’s obsessed with Amazon,” a source told Axios. "Obsessed", and added that Trump has allegedly talked about changing Amazon’s tax treatment because he’s worried about mom-and-pop retailers being put out of business. Another Axios source said that POTUS has "wondered aloud if there may be any way to go after Amazon with antitrust or competition law."

Trump’s deep-seated antipathy toward Amazon surfaces when discussing tax policy and antitrust cases. The president would love to clip CEO Jeff Bezos’ wings. But he doesn’t have a plan to make that happen.

However, as we countered, none of this is new and Trump's feud with Amazon reemerges periodically, although on Wednesday it came at an especially sensitive time for the tech sector, which had gotten clobbered in recent days, making it especially sensitive to negative news (one almost wonders if someone had bought AMZN puts ahead of the Axios news).

And, as if to underscore what we said yesterday, moments ago Trump himself said that he has stated his concerns with Amazon "long before the Election" and said that "unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments, use our Postal System as their Delivery Boy (causing tremendous loss to the U.S.), and are putting many thousands of retailers out of business!"

Trump's tweet comes just hours after White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders denied the Axios report on Wednesday, and said that the administration isn’t considering any changes in policy directed at the company.

Which means that the bad blood remains and that nothing has changed in the two or so years since Trump launched his campaign against Jeff Bezos (who also owns the Washington Post, which over the pastg year has made it overly clear what its feelings toward Trump are).

So will today's confirmation that Trump is again on the war path against Amazon - and Jeff Bezos - serve as today's tech selloff catalyst? Keep an eye on AMZN stock for the answer.

Image link: https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/styles/inline_image_desktop/public/inline-images/2018-03-29.jpg

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-29/trump-amazon-pays-little-or-no-taxes-puts-thousands-retailers-out-business

Looks like Donald Trump intends to go after amazon, at some point in time.    Cheesy

That's an interesting and good point that was made about amazon utilizing america's state run, taxpayer funded, US postal system to deliver packages. I'm not certain what amazon's arrangement is there but it seems there is always a line of people in the post office picking up packages they ordered on amazon.com. Would be interested to know how amazon set up and arranged that deal as if could be a pivotal and key part of their free shipping program.

I think everyone knows by know amazon is killing retailers and centralizing markets. Over the short term, amazon is offering low prices and good deals. The long term outlook could have amazon hiking prices once its competition is killed off. These types of short term benefits, might be considered "predatory business practices".

How do people see this panning out?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sorrysteve1

Activity: 294
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:11:00 PM

Trump will be out of office before he can get close to harming Amazon. Whoever is ushered in after him will most likely receive some nice charitable donation from not amazon (cough* it's amazon) in order for them to be a little friendlier in allowing them to currently consider their business practices. I would ask, does Trump himself have his own agenda for going after Amazon, it wouldn't surprise me.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:43:12 PM

Trump will be out of office before he can get close to harming Amazon. Whoever is ushered in after him will most likely receive some nice charitable donation from not amazon (cough* it's amazon) in order for them to be a little friendlier in allowing them to currently consider their business practices. I would ask, does Trump himself have his own agenda for going after Amazon, it wouldn't surprise me.

I also think this will be the case and go so far as to predict Amazon will eventually become the Umbrella corporation from the Resident Evil series.

For those who don't know the reference, it means Amazon will become so big and intertwined with the government that they become essentially one entity controlling everything. They will probably at some point either buy-up or merge with Facebook, Google, all the news outlets, hollywood, healthcare, banks , etc. and basically own everything, including politicians. They will become our rulers and providers of literally everything.
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 10:13:19 PM

President's concerns are reasonable but the situation around the postal system is not totaly clear. If it totaly works on governmental money (it seems like that from the president's words), which make the prices lower then the obvious solution for the problem is to erase the welfare in this field and bring more competition. If Amazon will have to pay the full price it will definetely slow down their expansion.
sorrysteve1

Activity: 294
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 08:29:03 AM

I also think this will be the case and go so far as to predict Amazon will eventually become the Umbrella corporation from the Resident Evil series.

For those who don't know the reference, it means Amazon will become so big and intertwined with the government that they become essentially one entity controlling everything. They will probably at some point either buy-up or merge with Facebook, Google, all the news outlets, hollywood, healthcare, banks , etc. and basically own everything, including politicians. They will become our rulers and providers of literally everything.

I don't know the reference but it wouldn't surprise me to see such a scenario, giant companies now such as you mentioned, google, amazon, facebook and then the major news outlets have so much control now over the world we live in and are really the ones in control instead of the politicians, they're just the string puppets that are moved around to suit their needs

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: