Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:18:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Build your own blockchain  (Read 1006 times)
uartasic (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:34:24 AM

Having done a search i couldn't find a thread on building your own blockchain.

Granted, i did search on google and found a fantastic tutorial on Hackernoon by Daniel van Flymen, so full credit to him and the awesome Hackernoon website.

I am currently finishing a virtual box image that i will upload to google drive for those who want a ready running setup, ready to mine their own genesis block.

For those who want to do it themselves, go here and enjoy https://hackernoon.com/learn-blockchains-by-building-one-117428612f46

You will need to have some general knowledge on how to use an IDE such as Wings or Codeblocks and Python. You will be using Python for the blockchain.

If you do get struck go to Daniels github repo which is referenced in the tutorial and check out the readme file.

I did note that there were some linearity issues with the instructions but some persistence paid off.

I tripped thorugh the pipenv initialization and the initial POSTman initial transaction command. It was a bit confusing but again i persisted and have built 2 blockchains for my colleagues at work.

I intend to use this example to track completion certificates in my own project.

i found this tutorial quite empowering and the catalyst for my own projects for the future.

Feel free to ask any questions, and i am thinking about making my own tutorial here with more detail for the beginner.

I am confident anyone can do this.

Enjoy.

VBox image link coming soon.

UA

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
starmyc

Activity: 198
Merit: 130

Some random software engineer

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:05:00 AM

And for those that prefer Golang, here is a more complete guide that'll help you build your own blockchain from scratch. IMO It is really a must read as it covers deeper things then other guides.

Hi, I'm just some random software engineer.
You can check my projects: Bitcoin & altcoin balances/addresses listing dumps: https://balances.crypto-nerdz.org/
Akiyoshi

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:17:58 AM

How long does it take to make own blockchain?? and beginner is also easy to do it?
Slava79

Activity: 182
Merit: 17

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 10:05:43 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

How long does it take to make own blockchain?? and beginner is also easy to do it?

Building a blockchain could look like not a complex task, but the evil is in the details.

You can roll out something  looking like a working blockchain in a month or so, but many questions appear before real production launch:

1. whats the algorithm - PoS, PoW?
2. if PoW, what's it - sha256, cryptonote, egalitarian algorithms, ASIC friendly or not?
3. if PoS what kind of - DPoS, NXT-like, PBFT (Tendermint), Algorand, etc?
4. whats the money  supply?
5. if PoS, how to distribute - give to Bitcoin holders, Ethereum holders, give to random people by captcha, give to Bitcointalk members by rank, give for investors only on ICO, how many to keep to yourself?
6. whats the format of address, is it possible to use passphrase, is it digits only to simplify use for enter, whats with control sum to prevent error during input?
7. wallets - mobile version, desktop version, should it be cross-platform, what framework to use if so (qt has quite not really modern L&F, Atom is slow, Java is memory hungry)

345. Probably we better go with a fork?

Building a JavaScript Smart Contracts Engine
Github | Site | Chat
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 11:03:39 AM

Yes, i would to some degree consider myself a beginner when it comes to blockchains, possibly most of use here too.

This tutorial gives you an example of how a basic blockchain works with a novice approach.

The python code can be confusing or intimidating but his tutorial breaks it down a bit.

I entered this with a noob mindset and in a few hours created and mined my first genesis block.

I watched a few youttube clips but settled for this tutorial in the end.

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 12:20:51 PM

Hi,

I check out your post and hackernoon post, But I did not understand, How I build my own blockchain, Can Its a safe way.

In hackernoon post, They said its not easy,

Its Python 3.6+ Php platform for build blockchain with coding.

Can you please help me about build blockchain with mining.

Thanks  Smiley

Hi,

safety is not an issue with this tutorial,are you comfortable using the command line prompt window?

this is based on using a windows 7 64 bit vm / pc /laptop.

onurgozupek

Activity: 1289
Merit: 592

In #Bitcoin me trust

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 03:21:54 PM

It's better to fork an existing coin rather than staring your brand new blockchain. I advise you to choose a PoS coin as it's way easier to manage, run nodes etc. Otherwise you will need to have miners to verify transactions, sync blockchain etc.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:18:22 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1), uartasic (1)

It's better to fork an existing coin rather than staring your brand new blockchain. I advise you to choose a PoS coin as it's way easier to manage, run nodes etc. Otherwise you will need to have miners to verify transactions, sync blockchain etc.

The point of coding your own blockchain is not to lunch your next altcoin and try to get rich of it. As blockchains can be used for all different sorts of things you can play by building one. By following such tutorials it can help you develop the coding skills or even sharpen the existing ones. It is not all about creating the next altcoin, but for educating purposes to see how this structure work. It can be complex task, but while learning you want something simple to see how it works and ways how it is implemented and understand the core principles behind it.

You could also want to build some small centralized blockchain for your small project or even of some company, limitations are endless. Building blockchain is not strictly tied to building next altcoin as money is just one application that can be built on top of it.
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 02:40:04 AM

The point of coding your own blockchain is not to lunch your next altcoin and try to get rich of it. As blockchains can be used for all different sorts of things you can play by building one. By following such tutorials it can help you develop the coding skills or even sharpen the existing ones. It is not all about creating the next altcoin, but for educating purposes to see how this structure work. It can be complex task, but while learning you want something simple to see how it works and ways how it is implemented and understand the core principles behind it.

You could also want to build some small centralized blockchain for your small project or even of some company, limitations are endless. Building blockchain is not strictly tied to building next altcoin as money is just one application that can be built on top of it.

This is my exact intention of this tutorial.

Spot on.

There is far more to the Blockchain than $$$ the immutability in itself is the key to innovation and further development of it.

The more we can get at this grass roots level the better the next and current generation can understand it.

millgates

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 04:48:31 AM

That is what I have been looking for, thanks friend. I am very curious about Blockchain and how to build my own.
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:13:35 AM

I am having an issue with my drive storage but have created my own quick guide which is pretty accurate.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17c8hXEo6wLg_26Pvee_abobCqtOEbvdT

i have followed this as i created another blockchain for someone using the tutorial and its spot on.

Thanks again to Hackernoon and Daniel for this

GameBitCEO

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 11:35:21 AM

A very usefull tutorial. Does it work in osx too?  Smiley

Kind regards
GameETN

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 11:28:29 PM

Thanks for the thread and link OP as this is something I have becoming interested in the last few months.

I would like to explore the possibilities of this more. Have you any examples of an application using a small centralized blockchain? I am building an application on Python which I would like to incorporate with blockchain somehow. I don't have a clue how to do it at this stage but each day I get a clearer picture.
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:29:57 AM

A very usefull tutorial. Does it work in osx too?  Smiley

Kind regards

I imagine someone on github or the google universe may have made a port for osx

This is only currently for Windows 7+ sorry mate.

Olawale16

Activity: 152

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:32:49 AM

uartasic (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:34:30 AM

Thanks for the thread and link OP as this is something I have becoming interested in the last few months.

I would like to explore the possibilities of this more. Have you any examples of an application using a small centralized blockchain? I am building an application on Python which I would like to incorporate with blockchain somehow. I don't have a clue how to do it at this stage but each day I get a clearer picture.

I am using this as basic tracking of certificates of completion for an education and training system i am working on.

I am basically just storing the cert hash on the blockchain. That certificate hash is made up of the users details then added to the chain.

The next step is auto integration where when a user completes the training in that very instance it is added to the chain instantly. Small steps but i find blockchain and DLTs fascinating, hence being here.

uartasic (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:41:50 AM

I believe with a determined mindset and persistence, you could do it. How long is dependant on how familiar you are with the items in the tutorial.

The link is my version of the tutorial for the beginner i suppose.

If you arent familiar with any aspect of the tutorial i suggest researching and practice before attempting it.

Not many people like the command line aspect, some dont like the API aspect. My sentiment is dont let the unknown defeat you, attempt learn what you dont know now and ease into it. Its how most / every person learns new things.

I know we have an enormous experience base here on bitcointalk.org so i plead with more advanced users not to berate or flame newbies. I welcome them as thats how i started myself.

Good luck and remember if you are really determined you will accomplish most things, if not all things you are passionate about.

GameETN

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 01:56:00 AM

I am using this as basic tracking of certificates of completion for an education and training system i am working on.

I am basically just storing the cert hash on the blockchain. That certificate hash is made up of the users details then added to the chain.

The next step is auto integration where when a user completes the training in that very instance it is added to the chain instantly. Small steps but i find blockchain and DLTs fascinating, hence being here.

So would it be possible to use blockchain to record that someone has done a task like, say, listened to a piece of music, and then they are sent tokens for completing it? Obviously you wouldn't be able to tell if they went out and let it play but just confirm the fact that they have played it through.

Not many people like the command line aspect, some dont like the API aspect. My sentiment is dont let the unknown defeat you, attempt learn what you dont know now and ease into it. Its how most / every person learns new things.

I know we have an enormous experience base here on bitcointalk.org so i plead with more advanced users not to berate or flame newbies. I welcome them as thats how i started myself.

Good luck and remember if you are really determined you will accomplish most things, if not all things you are passionate about.

This is very good advice. I'm only learning coding languages to varying degrees the last 3 years. Recently I had to make a few tutorials on using command screen and lost the fear of the unknown aspect of it after going through the whole process myself. I learn best by doing and googling along the way. I've started learning Python and finding it a lot easier after learning other languages through seeing familiar phrases and structure. When I do start focusing on blockchain I'm not going to be as wary going into learn it now because I know it can be done with time and research.
uartasic (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 04:27:25 AM

So would it be possible to use blockchain to record that someone has done a task like, say, listened to a piece of music, and then they are sent tokens for completing it? Obviously you wouldn't be able to tell if they went out and let it play but just confirm the fact that they have played it through.

most certainly however your context may differ from others as to how the blockchain is used.

if the piece of music contained a certain note structure where there was 1 answer to the question, the answer could be hashed so as not to give away the text based answer. this answer would be published on the blockchain for all to see wet her it was correct or not.

your other method of reward would be a payment ledger which is what our beloved bitcoin is, its a DL of payment transactions.

not sure how you would implement it in your case to record and answer and issue a payment but i guess it could be possible.

My use is not so complex its just a ledger of users issued certificate.

I believe Lightning Network derived HTLC or hash time-locked contracts could do this, however it in itself is complex.

In a nutshell it involves 2-3 parties that have a hash of their own and each user adds their hash to complete the transaction based on another users hash. Within this contract there is a condition to be met, in your case it could be that their answer must equal the same hash and thus the correct hash answer releases a reward. Their is also a time component where if the user fails to meet the hash outcome within a specified time the reward is cancelled, or if someone cheats they are forfeited. Again this is just my gleaned and brief understanding.

I am still in the early days of LN and HTLC, but its something i am currently setting up. I am working on my own LN channel as i type.

Lots to learn and we are still in the early days of Bitcoin derived blockchain and DLT. Have fun.

GameETN

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 05:00:14 AM

most certainly however your context may differ from others as to how the blockchain is used.

if the piece of music contained a certain note structure where there was 1 answer to the question, the answer could be hashed so as not to give away the text based answer. this answer would be published on the blockchain for all to see wet her it was correct or not.

your other method of reward would be a payment ledger which is what our beloved bitcoin is, its a DL of payment transactions.

not sure how you would implement it in your case to record and answer and issue a payment but i guess it could be possible.

My use is not so complex its just a ledger of users issued certificate.

I believe Lightning Network derived HTLC or hash time-locked contracts could do this, however it in itself is complex.

In a nutshell it involves 2-3 parties that have a hash of their own and each user adds their hash to complete the transaction based on another users hash. Within this contract there is a condition to be met, in your case it could be that their answer must equal the same hash and thus the correct hash answer releases a reward. Their is also a time component where if the user fails to meet the hash outcome within a specified time the reward is cancelled, or if someone cheats they are forfeited. Again this is just my gleaned and brief understanding.

I am still in the early days of LN and HTLC, but its something i am currently setting up. I am working on my own LN channel as i type.

Lots to learn and we are still in the early days of Bitcoin derived blockchain and DLT. Have fun.
Thanks a lot uartasic, some nice food for thought there. HTLC process is very interesting and I will look into it more tomorrow. Lots of questions related to this but as I'm just developing an idea I need to work out the questions related to it without sharing too much on a public forum.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: