Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:59:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the latest on 7xxx series from radeon?  (Read 10441 times)
KKAtan

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 12:43:20 AM

Also, AMD and Nvidia account for nearly all of TSMC's business.
Okay. You don't know what you're talking about. It's best to just step back instead of spreading more misinformation.

Your world may revolve around video cards, but the real world does not do that.

Southern Islands taped out already back in February...

expected to account for 2-3% of its total wafer sales in the last quarter of the year.

However, it now seems like this figure was exaggerated, and that chip sales based on this node will hardly go over 1%.
Going from 2.5% to 1%.
How can you be sure that 1 lost percentage didn't belong to nvidia?
As I said, everybody already knows nvidia sucks at new manufacturing processes.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:01:55 PM

Also, AMD and Nvidia account for nearly all of TSMC's business.
Okay. You don't know what you're talking about. It's best to just step back instead of spreading more misinformation.

Your world may revolve around video cards, but the real world does not do that.

It's also a good idea to clarify your position when shooting someone else's down.  Either counter with stats that invalidate the point, or you're also spreading misinformation.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:12:12 PM

Either way, by the time I get enough bitcoin mined to buy a second gfx card, I bet the 7000 series will be out, works out in the long run Smiley.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:25:24 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 04:03:22 PM by Jack of Diamonds

Quote from: KKatan
Why not post your own hardware news or info/links instead of claiming everything I posted is false?

The 28nm delay is real and it's happening.

I didn't see you posting any useful links or information.
Besides stupid shit about how everything here is wrong and you are right. Maybe I should report you for trolling.

Are you interested in adding facts & discussing future chips or feeding your petty little forum ego?

(btw I didn't post those quotes, they were from the interview of the TSMC CEO)
Also all of their financial data is publicly available in pdf form at http://www.tsmc.com/english/investorRelations/index.html

The only 'real' clients for 28nm high-k metal gate wafers are Nvidia and AMD (Elpida Corp. which makes RAM modules accounts for a minuscule portion),
companies like Texas Instruments, Apple and Qualcomm only buy 28nm LP wafers for field programmable gate arrays (smartphones, laptops)

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Tx2000

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:34:52 PM

http://uptonews.com/07/tsmc-admits-28nm-ramp-up-is-taking-longer-than-expected.html

KKAtan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:43:31 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 10:06:33 PM by KKAtan

It's also a good idea to clarify your position when shooting someone else's down.  Either counter with stats that invalidate the point, or you're also spreading misinformation.
Do I need to? Read what Jack actually said.

"Also, AMD and Nvidia account for nearly all of TSMC's business."
This is so blatantly wrong, it's like claiming the earth is flat.
If you don't understand where I'm coming from, Jack made many bullshit statements before, like claiming the HD6990 is a 5 gigaflop card. This one is really bad misinformation.
Or when he claimed Barts was VLIW4
Or like when he claimed that mobiles parts are the ones released first
All of that is pure misinformation, especially the first one, and just now he wanted us to believe AMD and nvidia are TSMC's only customers...  Huh

The only 'real' clients for 28nm high-k metal gate wafers are Nvidia and AMD
Okay so now you're backtracking, I'll accept that. Before, you claimed AMD and Nvidia accounted for all of TSMC's business, suddenly now you were only talking about the 28 nm processes all along.

Bad news, interview of TSMC CEO confirmed 28nm chips will be delayed because AMD/Nvidia have canceled their major orders for this year.
28nm chips will only account for some 1% of their revenues by end of Q4 this year
Here's where you went wrong. High end videocard chips are very low volume, and TSMC has many other customers, so a low number like 1% could even be natural. But you didn't know that.
So you erroneously assumed that 1% was "proof" that Nvida and AMD cancelled their orders. This was the big fallacy on your part all along.

You posted a link that stated "28nm chips will only account for some 1% of their revenues" then stated "AMD/Nvidia have canceled their major orders". A feather becomes a chicken.

I was saying that 1% could still mean a lot of wafers. The reason for this is that TSMC has a lot of other customers who utilize their older 55 and 65 nm processes.
Then you attempted to argue against this, by claiming that AMD and Nvidia were the only customers of TSMC anyway in order to give the misleading picture of that 1 percentage amounting to nothing. Which is blatantly wrong. They have many other customer, Which is EXACTLY the reason why that 1 percentage could still be a lot of wafers.

The 28nm delay is real and it's happening.
TSMC's projected 28 nm revenues going from 2.5% to 1% does not mean the world is going to end.

This is not proof that AMD has cancelled their orders.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 10:33:41 PM

Quote from: KKaran
like claiming the HD6990 is a 5 gigaflop card
Are you stalking my posts?

It's quite obvious that's a mixup of terms, I was even linking to ASUS in that post which sources the processing power (which is indeed 5.2 teraFLOPS)
And yes, 6950 & above are VLIW4 and not 6850

Still, that has no bearing on 7xxx cards future so I don't know why you dug that up

Also, I didn't claim mobility chips release *first*, but since it seems you're really scrutinizing every word for some reason, here is the quote you posted, you can even go back and read it

will be among the first

They came in after the low-end desktop variants and nearly a month before the 69xx cards.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/report-amd-radeon-hd-6970-priced-450-releasing-december-15th/10442.html#
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6550M.41143.0.html

If you are done flaming or finding typos, maybe you have something interesting or relevant to the new cards to post

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
KKAtan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 11:17:06 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2011, 11:42:23 PM by KKAtan

Also, I didn't claim mobility chips release *first*, but since it seems you're really scrutinizing every word for some reason, here is the quote you posted, you can even go back and read it

will be among the first

They came in after the low-end desktop variants and nearly a month before the 69xx cards.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6550M.41143.0.html
I'm very sorry but now you're making yet another mistake.

Do you know what the HD 6550M is? It's a rebrand of the HD 5570. Codename is Redwood, UVD is 2.2.
It's from the HD 5xxx family, so it's no surprise that it was launched so fast.

Are you stalking my posts?
It's nothing personal, but I've just noticed that you are posting many, many errors.

I have probably become too autistic  for my own good.
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 04:46:45 AM

VR-zone has a nice explanation I think of AMD's GCN architecture,the only real question is will it be present in the HD 7xxx series and what could this possibly increase the difficult for bitcoin and namecoins to absurd levels.

Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:30:44 PM

NEEERRRRRRRRD FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

Mousepotato
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:46:56 PM

NEEERRRRRRRRD FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

? where's the nerd fight
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:46:14 PM

? where's the nerd fight

Stop it, I'm tryin to get my troll on!

Mousepotato
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:23:12 PM

? where's the nerd fight

Stop it, I'm tryin to get my troll on!

Bad potato!!! LOL
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:25:08 PM

So what's this I hear about the HD 7XXX series having at least double the number of stream processors as the 5XXX/6XXX series?  Anybody hear anything about this?

Mousepotato
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:41:34 PM

So what's this I hear about the HD 7XXX series having at least double the number of stream processors as the 5XXX/6XXX series?  Anybody hear anything about this?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/04/15/radeon-hd-7000-due-june-or-july/1

Though its older news, I don't know if the tech could have changed *that much* since then.  They report doubling of the stream processors is a 'conservative estimate'.  So thats ~1600 for a midlevel single-gpu card, and 6000+ for a high end double-gpu card.  I think.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:16:54 PM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/04/15/radeon-hd-7000-due-june-or-july/1

Though its older news, I don't know if the tech could have changed *that much* since then.  They report doubling of the stream processors is a 'conservative estimate'.  So thats ~1600 for a midlevel single-gpu card, and 6000+ for a high end double-gpu card.  I think.

what would the estimated hash rate level be?
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:22:19 PM

I thought the general rule of thumb is (stream processors/4) = hash rate in MH/s, more or less.

Mousepotato
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:25:19 PM

I thought the general rule of thumb is (stream processors/4) = hash rate in MH/s, more or less.

So... 6000+/4 = 1500 mhashes for double GPU card, so 750 Mhase per GPU?  this seems too good to be true... can someone confirm?
mike678

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:25:30 PM

If that's true 6000+ = 1,500+ megahash D:

That would definitely change mining.

Edit: CanaryInTheMine get out of my mind Tongue
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:27:18 PM

Well,I've been reading as of late only the Southern Islands (probably 7950) and up will have the major changes while the other graphics chips are just Northern Island cores.Southern Islands AKA "Trinity" is suppose to be AMD/ATI's variant of a "Fermi +" being a computation beast.I fully expect that the difficulty will increase many amounts if this will be the case considering they can place more on the 7950 and up as those are the only cores with the .28 die shrink.

I am not sure if there will be more streaming processors or that it will be more complexed variants,whatever it is it will certainly be more like a math co-processor than anything else.I'd also expect it to also be OpenCL 1.2 compliant considering the spec. is suppose to be finalized in December.

Hash rate could be over 2000 actually considering only the high-end cards will be with a die-shrink,therefore being able to up clock speeds over 1Ghz.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: