Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:50:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC address sign message,PGP,GPG  (Read 85 times)
dmonrey002 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:24:54 PM

hi to all users.  i just want to clarify  about  the uses and differences of  these three (BTC Address sign message, PGP, GPG)

Base on my research

BTC address sign message -  proving that your the owner of a specific btc address with using  your private key to generate a signature. only way to recover acc here if its hack by providing a evidence that your btc address sign message is hook to that acc. a way to do it is provide an evidence that you already stake you btc address to one of the thread here and other user quoted it  for future evidence.

PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) -  preventing other people  to use your identity to have a transaction or dealing with confidential information. more secure privacy   when in term of conversations, emails by providing a encrypted message and the only one who can decrypt it is the owner of the pgp public key, cause his the only one has the private key. also you can do a sign message in pgp.  

GPG (GNU Privacy Guard) -  a GNU project  and the modern version of pgp.

Please correct me if  im wrong or i missed some info. please dont bother to make a post here at this thread  for me and the other user  know additional info.  Thank you in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:14:40 PM

BTC address sign message -  proving that your the owner of a specific btc address with using  your private key to generate a signature. only way to recover acc here if its hack by providing a evidence that your btc address sign message is hook to that acc. a way to do it is provide an evidence that you already stake you btc address to one of the thread here and other user quoted it  for future evidence.

PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) -  preventing other people  to use your identity to have a transaction or dealing with confidential information. more secure privacy   when in term of conversations, emails by providing a encrypted message and the only one who can decrypt it is the owner of the pgp public key, cause his the only one has the private key. also you can do a sign message in pgp.  

GPG (GNU Privacy Guard) -  a GNU project  and the modern version of pgp.

I think this is the correct observations.
It's useful know that these are all asymetrically done for the most part.
PGP hashing is done with a private key so the inevitable hash is someone's public key.
Signed messages with Bitcoin addresses sign the message with that address' private key but the message itself can be verified using the public key (as the public key gets used as a piece of data that the signature is applied to in order to return the message or a checksum of the message that can then be validated further - as I understand it).

GPG was also generated by MIT also.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: