Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 02:29:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are Airdrops toxic for the ICO market?
Yes - 1 (100%)
No - 0 (0%)
IDK - 0 (0%)
What's an airdrop? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Are Airdrops messing up the ICO market?  (Read 32 times)
tropyc (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 05:01:27 PM

Hello there,

We'd like to offer a fresh perspective on Airdrops.
Most of us witness the same pattern, an ICO would promote their Airdrop with "Get $1 million for free of Airdrops".
It introduces a few issues:

• 1. $xx worth of tokens airdropped? Did you mean $0 worth of tokens?
    Airdrops valuation are set unilaterally and without market feedback by the issuer. If I bake 10 cookies, keep 5 for myself, sell 4 in 6 months and divide the last one into 1,000 crumbs, give the crumbs to random people for free and tell everyone i'll sell the remaining 4 for $1 million each - did I just give $1000 to 1000 people? Nope.
  • 2. It's not "free" and not "money".
    Because these tokens are poor units of account, mediums of exchange and stores of value. Okay, they might have future value, but by no means have any present value intrinsically.
  • 3. Airdrops are for opportunists
    What if investors start subscribing to every airdrops? Aren’t they incentivised to do so? ICOs do not gain any value from airdrops, as it does not target potential investors or users anymore, only airdrop opportunists. Furthermore, it can also repel genuine investors that missed out on an airdrop: Why did someone get free tokens while have to pay for it?
  • 4. It’s the perfect tool for shitcoiners and scammers
    Airdroppers want their digital assets to have a price tag in future and will, therefore, promote the token sale and hope for its success.
    There’s no issue about this phenomenon in the event the ICO is serious and professional. However, in the event of a fraudulent project, airdrops can help scammers create a community of naive airdroppers that would promote their scam — without realising what they are doing.

more info = https://www.tropyc.co/pages/airdrops-screwing-up-cryptocurrency-market

We think blind airdrops disbursed by product-less ICOs are not sustainable, non-sensical and should fade away, sooner or later. Smart ICO should not leverage them, they are toxic.
Do you agree?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: