Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:21:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Single PSU is dead  (Read 816 times)
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:24:37 PM

(I posted this over at BFL's forum, but thought I'd post here for some quicker responses and a second opinion)

Last night I noticed my Little Single was off even though it was plugged in and everything. I unplugged it from the wall, plugged it back in, unplugged it again. Waited ten minutes. Plugged it back in. And the PSU finally started working again. Aparrently though, it turned off again overnight. So I am thinking the PSU is dead.

Now I can use any 6 pin cable from my computer's PSU right? I was thinking of having my PC and Little Single running off the same PSU. The LS and my PC would start up when I hit the power button on my computer, right?

How much power does the LS pull? I'm guessing ~100w? And will BFL RMA my power supply?

Thanks,
Mufa

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:48:41 PM

Yes, it will start up when you power up your computer.
I am using Corsair CX750M and Cooler Master GX750 PSU to power the singles.
Each PSU can power 2 BFL singles and they are pulling 490-520 watt at the wall.
I don't like to jumpstart the PSU's, instead I bought 12 PSU tester to jumpstart the PSU's.
I bought them here.
http://www.blueface.nl/atx-voeding-psu-tester.html

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:20:11 AM

(I posted this over at BFL's forum, but thought I'd post here for some quicker responses and a second opinion)

Last night I noticed my Little Single was off even though it was plugged in and everything. I unplugged it from the wall, plugged it back in, unplugged it again. Waited ten minutes. Plugged it back in. And the PSU finally started working again. Aparrently though, it turned off again overnight. So I am thinking the PSU is dead.

Now I can use any 6 pin cable from my computer's PSU right? I was thinking of having my PC and Little Single running off the same PSU. The LS and my PC would start up when I hit the power button on my computer, right?

How much power does the LS pull? I'm guessing ~100w? And will BFL RMA my power supply?

Thanks,
Mufa

Yes,if your PSU is big enough,you'll need at least 130-150 watts per 30GH'er.

Thats what I did from the get go  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 10:14:54 AM

FWIW I am selling power supply units for BFL Singles and Little Singles:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=322747.0
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 02:02:23 PM

To add another plug (pun intended), I'm selling ATX jumpers:
https://www.bitmit.net/en/item/66854-jumper-plug-for-atx-power-supply-psu-jump-start-bridge-12v

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Moshi

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 02:17:16 PM

Another solution, if you don't want your computer on all the time, is to get any other PSU and, on the 24-pin cable, splice the green line with any ground. The PSU should kick on when given power, and otherwise work as advertised.

Since you won't be using too much power, pretty much any PSU will do - I've used the cheapest, most off-brand junk for a car radio and other stuff.
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:03:01 PM

Count yourself lucky.  Mine failed with a small meltdown, luckily it didn't start a fire. Countless people have had BFL PSU failures. The quality of the BFL PSU is down right atrocious and dangerous.. Buy a quality PSU and use that. And anyone that is still running a BFL PSU with a single, I would advise to replace it with a quality computer PSU ASAP. Your safety and property are not worth a few extra bucks.
Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:51:17 AM

Damn to hell that BFL single cheap Power supply!

Went on vacation and guess what happened
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:31:53 AM

Yes the PSUs are kinda crappy considering the price.  My fire was inside my Single rather than the PSU.  I just happened to be sitting next to it when it clicked and then I saw white smoking blowing out of it as the fans spun down.  Scared the living crap out of me since I haven't seen that much smoke since I miswired the switch on a old AT case back in the 90's (Chinese instructions were wrong - shocking... no pun intended).

I think any miner has the possibility to catch fire since they are pushing the limits of some component on the board that was hastily designed (we've seen fires reported in Avalons, BFL & KNC devices).  I just hope running my devices on a ceramic floor away from other objects is enough to save me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: