Bitcoin Forum
September 23, 2018, 01:41:42 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How damaging is reversing the polarity on the S9 controller board?  (Read 52 times)
tim-bc

Activity: 168
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:28:10 PM

I wish I didn't have to ask this question, but to what extent could this board have been damaged by reversing the 6-pin pcie power connection? Also, do you think the psu is toast or could it be salvaged by splicing the pcie?

https://i.stack.imgur.com/mAKbK.jpg

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove inline image tags.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 266
Merit: 36

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:30:18 PM

Ouch!  That hurts to even look at!

I mine bitcoin for a living, and I mine at Kano.is!
Blokforge Affiliate:  https://blokforge.com/?ref=21
Linux since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
VRobb

Activity: 994
Merit: 503

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:31:22 PM

I smoked an S7 controller with a mis-wired PCIe connector (+ and - reversed).  Burned up a couple of the voltage regulators, but is probably repairable and nothing happend to the PSU and wires.  Yours looks to be much worse...

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck
In Hotels, I prefer the 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP),S9-13.5 & S9r-11.5
HagssFIN

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1172

Electrical engineer (B.E.). Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2018, 09:35:55 PM

for starters, Reversed voltage --> good bye caps.

tim-bc

Activity: 168
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:36:56 PM

Ouch!  That hurts to even look at!
If you think a controller melt looks bad, you should see the hash boards when they melt... Cry

I smoked an S7 controller with a mis-wired PCIe connector (+ and - reversed).  Burned up a couple of the voltage regulators, but is probably repairable and nothing happend to the PSU and wires.  Yours looks to be much worse...
Do you think I could still splice the one burnt pcie and keep using the power supply?

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.