Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:12:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: What threats to Bitcoin exist?  (Read 2661 times)
x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 05:44:44 PM

I see the price of Bitcoin generally going up, quite a lot, based on positive news events, and there's some major ones that probably lie ahead in the next couple years: i.e. when major sales sites adopt it, when the next country has a crash of its native currency, etc...

What negative events might occur down the road that could severely damage Bitcoin's price and reputation?  Bitcoin may eventually get some serious enemies: the banks, countries that manipulate their fiat currency against their peoples' interest, paypal and other middlemen... and I would anticipate some attempts at attack could happen in the next couple years.

I'm basically trying to get an idea of how much risk we can look at, based on probabilities of major bad events...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:03:34 PM

Nuclear holocaust.

Quantum computing.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 06:04:59 PM

reptilians

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:11:17 PM

Hard fork over block size limit issue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:15:50 PM

AmazonBucks ™

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Joe200

Activity: 317

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:20:37 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

A large company - Amazon / Google / whoever - launches its own cryptocurrency. Even if it's an exact clone of bitcoins. They do a big promo and accept it as a form of payment for their services.
Joe200

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:21:19 PM

Blockchain size.
ardana123

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:27:25 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

A large company - Amazon / Google / whoever - launches its own cryptocurrency. Even if it's an exact clone of bitcoins. They do a big promo and accept it as a form of payment for their services.

Beats me how that could ever beat bitcoin, unless it's decentralized and open source as well. Then it would be more like a bitcoin 2.0.

But yea, block size limit and the regulatory issues could be a problem in the future.
Joe200

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 06:39:53 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

Beats me how that could ever beat bitcoin, unless it's decentralized and open source as well. Then it would be more like a bitcoin 2.0.

But yea, block size limit and the regulatory issues could be a problem in the future.

That's what I said. They launch an exact copy of bitcoins - open source and all. But this exact copy gets a lot of publicity. And a major vendor accepts them, so a lot of demand. Everyone switches to AmazonBucks and forgets the current bitcoin.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:01:27 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

That's what I said. They launch an exact copy of bitcoins - open source and all. But this exact copy gets a lot of publicity. And a major vendor accepts them, so a lot of demand. Everyone switches to AmazonBucks and forgets the current bitcoin.

Yes and your mum together with grandma will buy an asic miner and will mine GoogleCoin
MonadTran

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:08:42 PM

Blockchain size.

This one bothers me, actually. Maybe I need to do some calculations to convince myself this does not become an issue in the foreseeable future... Or, convince myself this is an issue, and think if it can be fixed?
MonadTran

Activity: 181

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:09:37 PM

reptilians

... and rpietila.
x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:11:38 PM

Blockchain size.

This one bothers me, actually. Maybe I need to do some calculations to convince myself this does not become an issue in the foreseeable future... Or, convince myself this is an issue, and think if it can be fixed?

Anyone have links to serious analysis about this topic?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 07:16:34 PM

its hard to imagine anything that could bring down bitcoin as a whole. but bitcoin faces many challenges ahead, the tech is not perfected, its growing really fast, and its scary!

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

This is the most significant challenge that Bitcoin faces.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:33:07 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

so NOT THIS...
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 07:48:12 PM

Blockchain size.

Anyone have links to serious analysis about this topic?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=322748.msg3455664#msg3455664
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:56:13 PM

This is the most significant challenge that Bitcoin faces.

A challenge is something that can be overcome. The block size limit will demand a reboot of Bitcoin, and that will be the end of it as any credibility it has will be destroyed.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 09:35:52 PM

...The block size limit will demand a reboot of Bitcoin...

False. This has been discussed A LOT. Satoshi even addressed this concern years ago:

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

That one quote alone, from one of the earliest discussions on the matter, makes two points clear:

1) The original intent (which still makes sense, IMO) was that the blocksize limit should rise (as bandwidth and storage obviously become cheaper over time).
2) It can be done without a sudden, disruptive, hard-fork.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:57:55 PM

It is not a thread because of rational reasons it will be very difficult in the beginning to produce enough money for their purpose and then to keep up the whole infrastructure without control over it. No way.

The other way is to create something with predefined coins - then you might have Linden Dollars which are of no interest for the Bitcoin community.
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:29:31 AM

...The block size limit will demand a reboot of Bitcoin...

False. This has been discussed A LOT. Satoshi even addressed this concern years ago:

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

That one quote alone, from one of the earliest discussions on the matter, makes two points clear:

1) The original intent (which still makes sense, IMO) was that the blocksize limit should rise (as bandwidth and storage obviously become cheaper over time).
2) It can be done without a sudden, disruptive, hard-fork.

We'll see.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:32:00 AM

The only threat is a weakness in the crypto or some hard-fork/double spend. Everything else is a detail in the long term.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 12:35:47 PM

If you look at the talking heads on the forum:

-Cosbycoin
-Ripple
-eBay/paypal/Amazon
-BFL
-The Rothchilds/JPM
-NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:26:32 PM

If you listen to me talk on the forum:

-Cosbycoin
-Ripple
-eBay/paypal/Amazon
-BFL
-The Rothchilds/JPM
-NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS

FIFY
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

I think the greatest threats to the value of BTC are-

-The first users or those who hold large amounts of BTC.
-Banks unilaterally blocking any funds dealing with BTC worldwide
-A major bug in the Block chain.
-US agencies dumping BTC seizures on exchanges.
-51% attack via quantum computing.

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:57:11 PM

threat is when miners will be attacked by hackers and making a huge downtime to more than half of the miners.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 06:15:19 PM

FIFY

The forum is full of it, even without me posting. One of my main activities here is making fun of those who really do think these things are a threat and I can't even do it in half the occurrences.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:07:35 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

At that point, what's the whole point for Amazon to do it in the first place? If its the same as Bitcoin, why not just accept Bitcoins? Unless they plan to pre-mine extensively or something, at which point you're essentially just buying a transferable Amazon gift card.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:17:42 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

At that point, what's the whole point for Amazon to do it in the first place? If its the same as Bitcoin, why not just accept Bitcoins? Unless they plan to pre-mine extensively or something, at which point you're essentially just buying a transferable Amazon gift card.

Im sure they could work some improvements in and then put in a tiny fee of like 0.000001BTC for every transaction using AmazonBucks.

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:13:21 PM

Agree. If the US agencies dump all their confiscated coins on the market, The BTC price will get hammered.

Yeah, for about 15 minutes.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:17:58 PM

Agree. If the US agencies dump all their confiscated coins on the market, The BTC price will get hammered.

Itll be an insane crash for 15 minutes, but another 300k coins on the market would have a lasting effect.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:29:44 PM

Itll be an insane crash for 15 minutes, but another 300k coins on the market would have a lasting effect.

Cheap coins. Opportunity to buy that will not last long.
ferda2mx

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:35:59 PM

US agencies would do me big favor, my under 100 buy orders could be filled !
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:39:59 PM

IMO, the worst thing for bitcoin would be when some group of "activists" persuade the community to regulate bitcoin by tampering with its functionality, like:
 - dividing coins on good/bad.
 - making hard forks to embed some kind of KYC/AML procedures or making it reversible.
 - cancelling bitcoin addresses that don't have movements for over X years and put their coins back into circulation.
hermann1983

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:55:47 PM

IMO, the worst thing for bitcoin would be when some group of "activists" persuade the community to regulate bitcoin by tampering with its functionality, like:
 - making hard forks to embed some kind of KYC/AML procedures or making it reversible.
 - cancelling bitcoin addresses that don't have movements for over X years and put their coins back into circulation.

Forks might happen in future, but I will stick with original protocol. The number of altcoins doesnt threat Bitcoin at all, the same might happen with numerous forks in future
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:58:15 PM

So, you're saying the biggest threat to Bitcoin is altcoins?

I agree 100%.

Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:28:59 PM

I agree 100%.
possible but unlikely. Bitcoin distribution is a market for itself as well as value distribution over altcoins is a market. These kind of markets tend to concentrate a bigger part of the whole value - they work like attractors. Maybe 20% of the addresses will hold 80% of the Bitcoins. Same works for the altcoin market - Bitcoin will remain the dominant currency.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:45:14 PM

I agree 100%.
possible but unlikely. Bitcoin distribution is a market for itself as well as value distribution over altcoins is a market. These kind of markets tend to concentrate a bigger part of the whole value - they work like attractors. Maybe 20% of the addresses will hold 80% of the Bitcoins. Same works for the altcoin market - Bitcoin will remain the dominant currency.

Yes, only that other 20% of the value are stuck into coins that can be created at the drop of a hat, but can also bubble hugely. Its a pretty damn big problem.

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:32:51 AM

what if 51% of users will be convinced to upgrade their software with hardforked version ?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 02:54:17 AM

AmazonBucks ™

Amazon is a bug on the windshield of this clown car called bitcoin.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: