Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:48:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What threats to Bitcoin exist?  (Read 2661 times)
revans

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:29:31 AM

...The block size limit will demand a reboot of Bitcoin...

False. This has been discussed A LOT. Satoshi even addressed this concern years ago:

It can be phased in, like:

if (blocknumber > 115000)
    maxblocksize = largerlimit

It can start being in versions way ahead, so by the time it reaches that block number and goes into effect, the older versions that don't have it are already obsolete.

That one quote alone, from one of the earliest discussions on the matter, makes two points clear:

1) The original intent (which still makes sense, IMO) was that the blocksize limit should rise (as bandwidth and storage obviously become cheaper over time).
2) It can be done without a sudden, disruptive, hard-fork.

We'll see.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:32:00 AM

The only threat is a weakness in the crypto or some hard-fork/double spend. Everything else is a detail in the long term.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 12:35:47 PM

If you look at the talking heads on the forum:

-Cosbycoin
-Ripple
-eBay/paypal/Amazon
-BFL
-The Rothchilds/JPM
-NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:26:32 PM

If you listen to me talk on the forum:

-Cosbycoin
-Ripple
-eBay/paypal/Amazon
-BFL
-The Rothchilds/JPM
-NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS

FIFY
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:55:14 PM

I think the greatest threats to the value of BTC are-

-The first users or those who hold large amounts of BTC.
-Banks unilaterally blocking any funds dealing with BTC worldwide
-A major bug in the Block chain.
-US agencies dumping BTC seizures on exchanges.
-51% attack via quantum computing.

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:57:11 PM

threat is when miners will be attacked by hackers and making a huge downtime to more than half of the miners.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 06:15:19 PM

FIFY

The forum is full of it, even without me posting. One of my main activities here is making fun of those who really do think these things are a threat and I can't even do it in half the occurrences.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:07:35 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

A large company - Amazon / Google / whoever - launches its own cryptocurrency. Even if it's an exact clone of bitcoins. They do a big promo and accept it as a form of payment for their services.

Beats me how that could ever beat bitcoin, unless it's decentralized and open source as well. Then it would be more like a bitcoin 2.0.

But yea, block size limit and the regulatory issues could be a problem in the future.

That's what I said. They launch an exact copy of bitcoins - open source and all. But this exact copy gets a lot of publicity. And a major vendor accepts them, so a lot of demand. Everyone switches to AmazonBucks and forgets the current bitcoin.

At that point, what's the whole point for Amazon to do it in the first place? If its the same as Bitcoin, why not just accept Bitcoins? Unless they plan to pre-mine extensively or something, at which point you're essentially just buying a transferable Amazon gift card.

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:17:42 PM

AmazonBucks ™

This.

A large company - Amazon / Google / whoever - launches its own cryptocurrency. Even if it's an exact clone of bitcoins. They do a big promo and accept it as a form of payment for their services.

Beats me how that could ever beat bitcoin, unless it's decentralized and open source as well. Then it would be more like a bitcoin 2.0.

But yea, block size limit and the regulatory issues could be a problem in the future.

That's what I said. They launch an exact copy of bitcoins - open source and all. But this exact copy gets a lot of publicity. And a major vendor accepts them, so a lot of demand. Everyone switches to AmazonBucks and forgets the current bitcoin.

At that point, what's the whole point for Amazon to do it in the first place? If its the same as Bitcoin, why not just accept Bitcoins? Unless they plan to pre-mine extensively or something, at which point you're essentially just buying a transferable Amazon gift card.

Im sure they could work some improvements in and then put in a tiny fee of like 0.000001BTC for every transaction using AmazonBucks.

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:13:21 PM

Agree. If the US agencies dump all their confiscated coins on the market, The BTC price will get hammered.

Yeah, for about 15 minutes.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:17:58 PM

Agree. If the US agencies dump all their confiscated coins on the market, The BTC price will get hammered.

Itll be an insane crash for 15 minutes, but another 300k coins on the market would have a lasting effect.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:29:44 PM

Itll be an insane crash for 15 minutes, but another 300k coins on the market would have a lasting effect.

Cheap coins. Opportunity to buy that will not last long.
ferda2mx

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:35:59 PM

US agencies would do me big favor, my under 100 buy orders could be filled !
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:39:59 PM

IMO, the worst thing for bitcoin would be when some group of "activists" persuade the community to regulate bitcoin by tampering with its functionality, like:
 - dividing coins on good/bad.
 - making hard forks to embed some kind of KYC/AML procedures or making it reversible.
 - cancelling bitcoin addresses that don't have movements for over X years and put their coins back into circulation.
hermann1983

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:55:47 PM

IMO, the worst thing for bitcoin would be when some group of "activists" persuade the community to regulate bitcoin by tampering with its functionality, like:
 - making hard forks to embed some kind of KYC/AML procedures or making it reversible.
 - cancelling bitcoin addresses that don't have movements for over X years and put their coins back into circulation.

Forks might happen in future, but I will stick with original protocol. The number of altcoins doesnt threat Bitcoin at all, the same might happen with numerous forks in future
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:58:15 PM

So, you're saying the biggest threat to Bitcoin is altcoins?

I agree 100%.

Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:28:59 PM

I agree 100%.
possible but unlikely. Bitcoin distribution is a market for itself as well as value distribution over altcoins is a market. These kind of markets tend to concentrate a bigger part of the whole value - they work like attractors. Maybe 20% of the addresses will hold 80% of the Bitcoins. Same works for the altcoin market - Bitcoin will remain the dominant currency.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:45:14 PM

I agree 100%.
possible but unlikely. Bitcoin distribution is a market for itself as well as value distribution over altcoins is a market. These kind of markets tend to concentrate a bigger part of the whole value - they work like attractors. Maybe 20% of the addresses will hold 80% of the Bitcoins. Same works for the altcoin market - Bitcoin will remain the dominant currency.

Yes, only that other 20% of the value are stuck into coins that can be created at the drop of a hat, but can also bubble hugely. Its a pretty damn big problem.

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:32:51 AM

what if 51% of users will be convinced to upgrade their software with hardforked version ?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 02:54:17 AM

AmazonBucks ™

Amazon is a bug on the windshield of this clown car called bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: