Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 10:49:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How CoinMarketCap (CMC) manipulates the market  (Read 90 times)
alexzorgo (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 05:00:58 PM

It has come to our attention that CoinMarketCap.com, the Number 1 website in the crypto-currency industry, is showing immensely fraudulent and scam information (on purpose) to its users. As a site that is used frequently for reference points by many news organisations, trading outlets, companies, informational sites and individuals, we thought it would be in the best interest of the community to write about what has been really going on with this “trusted resource”.

Please note, our research indicates that multiple attempts to fix information by many coins on CoinMarketCap.com through contacting them through their support requests or online social media sites such as BitcoinTalk.org, reddit.com and other places has gone unanswered, ignored and/or explicitly overlooked/denied. By explicitly overlooked/denied, we mean that after contacting their support with up-to date and obviously correct information, they refuse to update the data. Many hundreds of coins on CMC are affected very negatively (or positively) by this. A lot of them have given up trying to get CMC to put correct data on their site, and have made sticky posts in their own respective forums as to this issue instead.

We also believe that there is massive insider trading going on with the employees, owners and others involved with CoinMarketCap. Our research, including talking to multiple coin creators, shows anomalous buying of coins between times that the coin creators asked CMC to list their coin (through their google form) and between when it actually gets listed on the site. This could mean that CMC insiders know that certain coins will pump, and go on a buying spree to front-run the listing of the coin and the public market sentiment. This can be seen over and over again when analysing the action on coins when being listed.

Pump and dumps are also being actively allowed and managed by the team at CMC without the knowledge of the coin creators or coin communities themselves. This can be seen by the direct manipulation of the circulating supply of some coins. CMC puts the circulating supply as very high at certain points (increasing the market cap), then drops it down to a much lower number later (lowering the market cap). This moves these coins up or down their numbered list causing massive buys and sell offs at the whim of CMC. Luckily this fraud can only be made to happen once or twice with each coin as the public outcry from the coin communities (sometimes) usually puts an end to it one way or other.

Source: https://medium.com/@coinmarketcapped/intro-how-coinmarketcap-cmc-manipulates-the-market-by-showing-fraudulent-information-to-the-c1246a953144

Greed spoils people. When they try to obtain a large income, some begin to go crazy, and they want even more money. And under the influence of greed they for this purpose use any methods, including dirty. The cryptocommunity needs to rally and boycott similar doubtful resources on the Internet.

There are alternate resources: https://news.bitcoin.com/8-alternatives-to-coinmarketcap/
rama666

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:36:26 PM

And for what they do it? Is someone paying extra for it?
YES, and not with one coin, but several coins.
Do they do it for their own purposes?
Can not understand )
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:41:47 PM

Interesting read and conclusions!

I'm using a lot CMC as daily trader and almost always the data is correct.
From now on I will start making cross-references with CMC alternatives.

Adunni6758

Activity: 420
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:55:18 PM

I am really surprised as what i am reading about CMC these day. A friend also once complaint about wrong information on CMC,  but i have not confirmed that on my own. The surprise i am seeing now is that, i have read this same complaint about CMC more than twice now and this is gradually becoming real, but i hope it is a misconception. I cannot imagine a site known as been the most prominent among others for watching coins listing and prices do a thing of such nature. This does not tell well if them and if it is a mistake on the side of CMC, it is better they make amendments
jackmuu

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:58:49 PM

Interesting read and conclusions!

I'm using a lot CMC as daily trader and almost always the data is correct.
From now on I will start making cross-references with CMC alternatives.

I prefer using CoinCodex.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: