Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:37:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/how-ripple-plans-to-take-on-bitcoin-w2_3yv3~Rd~l2  (Read 3059 times)
mah87 (OP)
Donator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:36:41 AM

ripple on bloomberg again

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/how-ripple-plans-to-take-on-bitcoin-w2_3yv3~Rd~l2HthoaHfoQ.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:52:59 AM

What's the point of ripple?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 10:00:11 PM

What's the point of ripple?
Ripple is essentially three things in one. Ripple is a crypto-currency. Ripple is a social/community credit system. But the most important one for the short term is that Ripple is a payment system that allows people to create, hold, transfer, and exchange arbitrary assets.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ratty

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:37:20 PM

Its like bitcoin, but premined, right? I wish they would ask them that in interviews.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 12:43:59 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2013, 01:19:47 PM by JoelKatz

Its like bitcoin, but premined, right? I wish they would ask them that in interviews.
The internal currency is like Bitcoin, the rest of the system (payment/credit/exchange) is not. The concept of "premined" doesn't make any sense in conjunction with a system that doesn't use proof of work.

Mining as a currency distribution system in currencies that use proof of work is necessary because otherwise there's no way to incentivize people to provide enough proof of work to keep the currency secure until transaction fees are sufficient to do that on their own. But otherwise, it has numerous disadvantages. For one thing, it consumes an enormous amount of resources for the sole purpose of making an attack impractical by requiring an attacker to exceed those resources. These resources constitute value created by the Bitcoin economy that are sucked out of it and go into the pockets of ASIC manufacturers and electric companies.

At one time, people had this idea (and I did too) that mining could be a democratic way to fairly distribute the value that crypto-currencies create. But I think we all now understand that this is economically impossible. If mining was more profitable than everything else people might do, then more people will mine, the difficulty will rise, and the profit will go away. It will always be, and necessarily so, that mining is just barely profitable if you have the best hardware and the best electric rates, because those people will increase mining until it's not profitable to keep increasing. All the money that goes into mining is value created by the crypto-currency that doesn't go into making it any better or helping it spread.

The genius of mining is that it uses the value a crypo-currency creates to provide the proof of work needed to keep the currency secure. It's a brilliant solution to a problem that Ripple doesn't have. As a way to provide the initial distribution of a currency, it's mediocre at best because it consumes much of the value the currency creates.

Right now, mining is costing the Bitcoin economy about $25 million per month. That's how much value Bitcoin, as a system, has to add just to hold the price even. Imagine if that money could go into making Bitcoin better rather than just keeping it secure.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: