Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:04:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meaning 'detected new block'  (Read 5805 times)
willwise (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:16:53 PM

What does detected new block mean?

Longpoll from pool 0 requested work update
Longpoll from pool 0 detected new block

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:25:29 PM

It means a block was found on the network so your miner is changing the details over and mining for a new block.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:31:58 PM

What does detected new block mean?

It means that some other miner somewhere generated 25 new bitcoins by "solving", or providing proof-of-work for, a "block" containing a certain number of bitcoin transactions.

Each 'block' contains a certain number of bitcoins transactions, and all blocks together make up the 'Blockchain" or the global ledger that keeps a public record of all bitcoin transactions ever made.  So, when your miner "detected a new block," not only were 25 bitcoins generated, but the integrity of this global transaction record was maintained and extended.

Edit:  This is why your miner indicates "requested work update" each time a block is solved.  It needs to retrieve the information necessary to begin working to solve a new block.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:46:05 PM

Thank you!!

It states
St:2 F:0 NB:17 AS:0 BW:[095/ 6 B/s] E:0.00  I: 0.00 BTC/hr  BS:0
0:                              0.0  / 0.0  h/s :   A:0    R:0+0<none> HW:0/none

I can't find what this means. Does it mean that I'm mining 0 btc per hour so it is not really mining?

nope you not mining a thing...

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

Thank you!!

It states
St:2 F:0 NB:17 AS:0 BW:[095/ 6 B/s] E:0.00  I: 0.00 BTC/hr  BS:0
0:                              0.0  / 0.0  h/s :   A:0    R:0+0<none> HW:0/none

I can't find what this means. Does it mean that I'm mining 0 btc per hour so it is not really mining?

I'm not sure which mining software you're using, but I'm assuming A:0 means that you have submitted 0 accepted shares and thus have not contributed any useful work for solving a block.

Also, 0.0 h/s means 0 hashes per second, so it appears that you aren't mining whatsoever.  

As far as the 0.00 BTC/hr measurement is concerned, this might still be the case even if you are successfully mining with a low hash rate.  Since bitcoins are divisible far beyond two decimal places, a low hash rate could indicate that you are receiving 0.00 BTC/hr but you might be earning thousandths, ten-thousands, etc. of a bitcoin per hour which, due to rounding, would appear as 0.00 BTC/hr.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 02:32:18 PM

I am using bgfminer...

It is on my laptop...
What can I do so that my computer will contribute?
Nothing. You don't have any hardware that's suitable for mining Bitcoins.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 02:39:33 PM

I am using bgfminer...

It is on my laptop...
What can I do so that my computer will contribute?
Nothing. You don't have any hardware that's suitable for mining Bitcoins.

So a good laptop is not suitable for mining??? :S
No, CPU and GPU mining is dead. You need specialized ASIC hardware to be competitive.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 02:46:25 PM

So a good laptop is not suitable for mining??? :S
Not Bitcoins, no.

So everyone who is mining uses special hardware?
Yes, or mines at a significant loss unless they steal hardware, get free electricity, or something like that.

Mining with a laptop should be veeeery slow, but should work right??
Yeah, give it a few hours and you might see a blip. Each share is worth about .000000064 Bitcoins right now, and you've not mined one yet. You mine may 1/100th of the cost of the additional electricity your laptop will consume.

Actually, that would be assuming it's actually mining. It may be smart enough to know not to bother.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 02:55:51 PM

I don't care about a loss, just be happy to have some bitcoins for free [have still 0.000000 in my wallet Sad]
It won't be "for free", it will be at a loss, that is, costing you more than the value of the Bitcoins.

What coins would you advise me to mine then and with what software? Wink
There's really no point. You don't have any hardware that's suitable for mining. Mining, of all crypto-currencies that have any value, is a highly competitive field and you are starting out with a massive handicap.

gooryheta

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:40:06 PM

Well electricity is free for me, my mother (I'm 14 and live here with her and our cat Mandy) hire a house with electricity for one price. So what would you advise me to do, to get any (maybe only 0.0000001) bitcoins?

Free facets are way to go if you need only 0.0000001  Cheesy

FREE BITCOIN Sites *and* Free Newbie Lotto
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90718.0

__                 ☆☆☆ TrustedCar Flex │ Changing Car Ownership Forever ☆☆☆                  __
‗/l__l\__                                 Token Sale June up to 30% Bonus                               __/l__l\‗
╘Θ═╧═Θ.╛   WhitepaperLightpaperANN ThreadFacebookTwitterTelegram   ╘.Θ═╧═Θ╛
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:18:06 PM

Well electricity is free for me, my mother (I'm 14 and live here with her and our cat Mandy) hire a house with electricity for one price.

There's always someone paying for the electricity, and I guess it's not Mandy. You better take a part time job, allthrough I don't know whether that's legal on your age in the place where you live. Laptops aren't made for mining, but if you own a AMD / ATI GPU (in a desktop or something) you can mine 'Altcoins'. View for example coinchoose.com for that. Allthrough you won't be making much money with that  Grin

If you earn some bucks with a part time job you can invest in Bitcoins or altcoins (by buying them and selling them for a bit more for example). But, as you are just 14, you should not concern with that. Buy toys with your money, or go play football with friends or something.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:19:16 PM

Well electricity is free for me, my mother (I'm 14 and live here with her and our cat Mandy) hire a house with electricity for one price. So what would you advise me to do, to get any (maybe only 0.0000001) bitcoins?
If anyone is rich and want to donate a very small amount so I can learn how to store bitcoins in a wallet and how to store it on an external harddrive, send to:
1BhwzTqXCinNj6wuSBwuxc6CoHYfrn3Ruy

For fun, see if you can buy a ASICMINER USB block eruptor for less than $10 and mine with that. You won't mine $10, but you also won't wear out your laptop (mining on a laptop is not good for it).

In the meantime, I have sent you a token amount to play around with.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:49:13 PM

If anyone is rich and want to donate a very small amount so I can learn how to store bitcoins in a wallet and how to store it on an external harddrive, send to:
1BhwzTqXCinNj6wuSBwuxc6CoHYfrn3Ruy

For fun, see if you can buy a ASICMINER USB block eruptor for less than $10 and mine with that. You won't mine $10, but you also won't wear out your laptop (mining on a laptop is not good for it).

In the meantime, I have sent you a token amount to play around with.

Thanks!

But my laptop was on for 24 hours without receiving anything (using bgfminer and eclipsemc and then run a .bat) Will a usb block be faster then?
And how do I make sure it is mining from my usb instead of my laptop. (I don't even know if it's mining from my cpu or from my graphical card, maybe that's why I am not mining anything, did I forgot to set this up maybe?) 
Don't care about it that mining is not good for my laptop (I'll get a new one from school in some months)

When you use a block eruptor you set a no GPU flag in BFGminer. I don't know of any miner that defaults to CPU mining, so unless you turned it on you aren't doing that.

You won't see anything from mining with this laptop, and even if you do you won't be able to remove the bitcoins from the mining pool. You have to meet a minimum withdrawal amount.

I would guess that a USB asic is around 100 times faster at mining than your laptop. As it is now though, it looks like it would be infinitely faster  Cheesy

You need to quit worrying about getting coins so much and look at it rationally. You are really going to destroy a laptop for no gain at all? Why not sell it for bitcoins?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:56:16 PM

But my laptop was on for 24 hours without receiving anything (using bgfminer and eclipsemc and then run a .bat)

The only thing worth mining with CPU is primecoin. You may exchange it to BTC
pontiacg5

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:38:13 PM

Are you starting BFGminer with a shortcut or bat file? The Nogpu flag is --disable-gpu. Your bat file should look like this...

bfgminer -o (server address:port here) -u (username) -p (passw) --disable-gpu -S all

Good luck with your mining, I'd be sure to check into sha256 altcoins if you have the time to research and pick alts you think will rise in value.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 08:51:13 PM

But, as you are just 14, you should not concern with that. Buy toys with your money, or go play football with friends or something.

I think many 14 year olds are missing out on a lot of potential in their lives by focusing on sports and toys.  What's wrong with doing something educational with a computer that may possibly positively impact someone's bottom line down the road?  Many great entrepreneurs were getting their start around this age.

Nothing wrong with recreational activities, but there's no reason a 14 year old's life should be consumed with them, and there's no reason a 14 year old should feel like something is wrong with him if he thinks mining for bitcoin is a better use of his time than chasing a ball around with a bunch of maladjusted "peers."

Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:03:32 PM

I agree with you on that point. But, as a 14 year old you should just 'play' a bit with these coins et cetera, but not more than that. You shouldn't really invest an huge part of your money, as - I think - you don't really understand what these investing activities mean.

Allthough I'm quite well educated, I'm glad I didn't invest - for me - huge amounts of my scarce money at that age. It's scientifically proved that kids don't see risks as we adults do. (That's the same reason why you shouldn't let a 12 year old drive a fast moped in traffic). But that's just my opinion Wink

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 06:06:29 PM

I agree with you on that point. But, as a 14 year old you should just 'play' a bit with these coins et cetera, but not more than that. You shouldn't really invest an huge part of your money, as - I think - you don't really understand what these investing activities mean.

Allthough I'm quite well educated, I'm glad I didn't invest - for me - huge amounts of my scarce money at that age. It's scientifically proved that kids don't see risks as we adults do. (That's the same reason why you shouldn't let a 12 year old drive a fast moped in traffic). But that's just my opinion Wink

The OP may be in a different position from me, but at 14, I didn't have significant amounts of money to invest. Smiley

pontiacg5

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

The OP may be in a different position from me, but at 14, I didn't have significant amounts of money to invest. Smiley

When I was 14 I had been dropshipping things from tradekey for around a year, my bank gave me a checking account at 13 and I played the paypal game!

Also came back to bite me because I tried to hide what I was doing (staying up really late to chat with suppliers, selling on ebay, and maintaining a paypal account!) Once I made enough money paypal started asking for a lot more info (suppliers, tax ID number/ss number, other stuff I cant remember) I had to get help at this point, or admit to paypal that I was only 14 or 15...

Don't be afraid to try new stuff, but more importantly don't hide anything. In other words, don't burn your laptop up mining bitcoins unless your parents know and understand what you are doing!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: