Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:54:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about Building an FPGA miner for CryptoNightV7 - Monero  (Read 969 times)
ItsNotImportant (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 10:51:17 PM

I am trying to build a CryptoNightV7 FPGA Miner.  Knowing that it is not cost effective, what type of hashrate could be achieved with a Kintex-7, Virtex-7 or even the UltraScale and UltraScale+.

I am looking at it for research purposes and do not have the desire nor the finances to scale it.  It is simply a desire to do it.

Here is a perfect example of a project that I have enjoyed and wish to do the same with CryptoNight. 

https://github.com/pedrorivera/SiaFpgaMiner

I think messing around with his miner is a lot of fun.  I am NOT trying to compete with GPU’s but love messing around with new hardware and software.  As you can see from his hashrate, it is not a viable alternative to GPU mining (and particularly now that there are ASICs).

I am offering a bounty for an FPGA Cryptonight miner, the link I will post in my signature.

Look forward to input from some of the bitcointalk programmers.

Thanks
stash2coin

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 05:31:46 AM

From what i see so far, people that are working on fpga miners are wanting to keep it private for now which make sense. I did some small research, its viable to mine with today's fpgas you dont have to use top of the line fpga though, even mid range fpga's offer good options for mining.

Intel recently started to offer opencl sdk that can compile opencl code to Altera/Intel fpgas (not for all models) in my opinion this is a game changer you dont have to mess with tedious VHDL or Verilog code. If someone is more interested about this there is an article about it in this magazine https://software.intel.com/en-us/download/parallel-universe-magazine-issue-31-january-2018

ItsNotImportant (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 05:38:08 AM

From what i see so far, people that are working on fpga miners are wanting to keep it private for now which make sense. I did some small research, its viable to mine with today's fpgas you dont have to use top of the line fpga though, even mid range fpga's offer good options for mining.

Intel recently started to offer opencl sdk that can compile opencl code to Altera/Intel fpgas (not for all models) in my opinion this is a game changer you dont have to mess with tedious VHDL or Verilog code. If someone is more interested about this there is an article about it in this magazine https://software.intel.com/en-us/download/parallel-universe-magazine-issue-31-january-2018

Most of the manufacturers support openCL including Xilinx with SDaccel.  I am just wanting to mess around with it.  I managed to get the GOminer to work with Zcash on GPU’s (although it was slow since I was using open source kernels), its was a great learning experience for someone as inexperienced as me.  

I figure if I can get a starting point with a miner then I can trace it down and mess around with it as well.  I am good at hacking others code but not a coder by nature.

I am using a Kintex 7 which has enough kick to do the mining imho but it will certainly not be fast. 
stash2coin

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 07:27:50 AM

Dont think anyone will publish open code , its more valuable to mine for themselves rather than publishing it publicly even for a reward, so for now everyone is doing their own researches, who have experience programing FPGAs and is interested in this field will reap the early crop Smiley
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:37:39 PM

Did you manage to get something running?
Annibal

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 05:34:33 PM

Hello there.

I am trying to update the baikal N to cryptonightV7

I have some ideas that may work and i am happy to share!

let me know!
CryptoCoin101

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2018, 09:35:17 AM

Watching this project
engkelber

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 06:10:11 PM

Hello there.

I am trying to update the baikal N to cryptonightV7

I have some ideas that may work and i am happy to share!

let me know!

Hello friend!
I'm working on it too.
Please let me know your ideas.
engkelber at gmail dot com.
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: