Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:21:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello says newbie  (Read 440 times)
squidfrites (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:23:01 AM

Hi,

I have been very interested in BTC for about a year. I heard about them on the news and immediately attempted mining on my MacBook Pro (too old).
I  lost my money in the failures of instawallet, bitcoin24 and bitcoin central but persevered, registering with MtGox and transferring some money there to play around which I still do now.  I eventually got all lost / impounded funds back - all credit to instawallet, bitcoin24 and bitcoin central.
I also have owned a BFL jalapeño 4.5 GH/s miner for just a few days (though ordered many months ago - I don't even remember ) and this has earned me $3 US in 4 days!

Anyway, it's all just small scale fun out of interest and enthusiasm for me.  Dodgy stuff will go on with any currency due to human nature but I like the uncontrollable, de-centralised nature of BTC and think that it will be a good thing for the world (to a degree, providing we still have a habitable world that we need currency in).

I read about Mr Teal's 8 chip ASIC board elsewhere on this forum and wanted to pm him about it which prompted me to join.

Peace, have a great day.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 11:41:19 AM

sounds like you are not a newbie anymore but you are jailed in the noob-section  Cheesy . sorry for that Wink

squidfrites (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 11:44:57 AM

Thank-you Xanis.

Sound advice .... I had come to the same conclusion and I am doing all of those things on a very small scale.
Perhaps I will try to resist further mining - it's more that I am a shopaholic with a weakness for things that require water-cooling.

SF
squidfrites (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 11:52:04 AM

sounds like you are not a newbie anymore but you are jailed in the noob-section  Cheesy . sorry for that Wink

Oh that's AOK, I think it's a good system: forces people to properly introduce themselves.
I'm not jailed here for long though huh? I thought it was 4 hours.

And @Yanis
Thanks I will look at scryptcoins ... I have read about some of the other crypto coins. Part of the big attraction of BTC is their increasingly wide usability. We can now buy a pint of beer in a pub for btc in my town.

SF
Mowcore

Activity: 592
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:04:20 PM

4 hours yes, unless they changed something recently.

Humble Weekly Bundle.Pay What You Want. Redeem on Steam. Support charity. Pay with BTCitcoin now!--> Paypal Sad
squidfrites (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 04:45:08 PM

You have 2 options: wait for ASICs gen2 or buy and hold/or trade bitcoin.

Xanis,

What does  gen 2 mean? Is it the new 28nm chips?
Do you think the Swedish KNCminer.com products qualify as gen 2?

SF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: