Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:48:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question / Idea  (Read 438 times)
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 04:05:15 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1pt9tc/question_idea/

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 04:33:17 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2013, 04:58:04 PM by btceic

I don't think this is the right section for asking questions OP.

Anyways, this is the question asked when you click the link:

As my stash of bitcoin increases I am becoming worried about the safety of my bitcoin being stored in one wallet on one machine. For numerous reasons I do not like the idea of a paper wallet, nor does the idea of a cold wallet appeal to me either. It occurred to me that we could use the distributed nature of bitcoin itself to cloudify our wallets. Does the bitcoin protocol already allow for this? What are my options today for safely storing my bitcoin?

This intrigues me though:
It occurred to me that we could use the distributed nature of bitcoin itself to cloudify our wallets. Does the bitcoin protocol already allow for this? What are my options today for safely storing my bitcoin?

Can we distribute our wallets so that they are not reliant upon a single point of failure? Surely this question belongs in the project development area no?

Let me restate my question as I don't think I articulated it well enough.

What I am thinking of is to split a wallet (encrypted) in such a way that it is distributed throughout the cloud in bits and pieces so that the only way a wallet could be deleted (in whole) would be for the entire network to go down, much like bittorrent distributes files across the worlds computers, so would your wallet and thus be accessible no matter where in the world you are.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:03:29 AM

Usually the wallet files (in the sense of the bits and bytes that make up a wallet) are not the issue - if you want to store them publicly, they need to be encrypted. As wallets are only keys themselves, the key that unlocks the wallet file again needs to be securely stored... maybe in the blockchain as well? You can't do that unencrypted, as the data is public though! So you need to store the key to the key to the wallet file (which contains keys to access your coins) someplace safe...

... how about encrypting it and storing it in the blockchain? Wink

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: