Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MEW update? is this true?  (Read 453 times)
pageraji (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 12:48:57 PM

Hai all, I've got this email today :

What will you see?

Dear MyEtherWallet Member:

In connection with the recent theft of a large amount of ETHERs from users' wallets, we have adopted new security measures. We have done a great work and ready to share with our users!

update the private key encryption protocol (completed)
    update the site protection against phishing attacks (completed)
    update traffic encryption from third parties (completed)
    transition to a new private key generation system with Secp256k1 on ECDSA (in progress)

HOORAY!

This is a huge success for our team and the entire crypto community. Unfortunately, the new computer code for generating private keys is already ready and we will implement it this fall.

You need to fill out the form and reserve a place for yourself. The form will be open from 16:00 GMT+8 on 30th March, 2018 to 16:00 GMT+8 on 30th September, 2018. Otherwise, you will not be able to activate your account with the old encryption key Secp256k1 from October 1, 2018.
Fill me Smiley

MAKING CRYPTO GREAT AGAIN!

Jack Warton
MyEtherWallet & MyEtherWallet CX developer
1044 Sunny Day Drive
Santa Ana, CA 92705
2 April, 2018
=======================================
is this true? or phising?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chocolaty

Activity: 294
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:30:58 PM

During the MEW hacking controversy, did your coins disappear? Was there real stealing that occured to you? That is the first question that you need to ask yourself. If you are not involved in any of those then that is probably some fraud trying to steal infos from you. I'd rather not reply and do what he ask if that's the case.

By the way, I just wanted to share that during the MEW hacking controversy, I did not experience losing my coins in contradict to what other people are claiming.

makuny

Activity: 896
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:37:43 PM

e-mail from MEW?
I use also MEW,  but i can not remind me does i have register with a e-mail adress.

so i think is not a legal e-mail.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:39:01 PM

It sounds very much like a phishing attempt. What address/domain was the email sent from? No doubt the form you need to fill in will ask you for your private keys, at which point they will clean out your wallet.
kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:39:24 PM

Hai all, I've got this email today :

What will you see?

Dear MyEtherWallet Member:

In connection with the recent theft of a large amount of ETHERs from users' wallets, we have adopted new security measures. We have done a great work and ready to share with our users!

update the private key encryption protocol (completed)
    update the site protection against phishing attacks (completed)
    update traffic encryption from third parties (completed)
    transition to a new private key generation system with Secp256k1 on ECDSA (in progress)

HOORAY!

This is a huge success for our team and the entire crypto community. Unfortunately, the new computer code for generating private keys is already ready and we will implement it this fall.

You need to fill out the form and reserve a place for yourself. The form will be open from 16:00 GMT+8 on 30th March, 2018 to 16:00 GMT+8 on 30th September, 2018. Otherwise, you will not be able to activate your account with the old encryption key Secp256k1 from October 1, 2018.
Fill me Smiley

MAKING CRYPTO GREAT AGAIN!

Jack Warton
MyEtherWallet & MyEtherWallet CX developer
1044 Sunny Day Drive
Santa Ana, CA 92705
2 April, 2018
=======================================
is this true? or phising?

Smells like phishing... I have carefully highlighted phrases in red that made me convinced that this is nothing but an attempt to farm personal info and private keys. Note how the mail consistently mentions private keys in a suggesting manner.
coinsocieties

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:43:23 PM

I think thats a scam dong try to update or use your private key in that website or email i was using MEW wallet too but i did not recieve an email and when i fill up MEW you dont need email address so the question is why MEW have your email since they are  not collecting email when you make your new wallet in MEW?

████████                                         ▄▄▄▄                                                                       
     ██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████
                                         █▄    ▄██       ▀▀▀▀           ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀   █▄    ▄██                  
                                           ▀███▀                                                          ▀███▀                    

Powered by,
turbo165

Activity: 181
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:47:50 PM

it seems that is not true if you get a message via email about the update from MEW there could be people who want to hack your eth address!
pageraji (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:48:49 PM

During the MEW hacking controversy, did your coins disappear? Was there real stealing that occured to you? That is the first question that you need to ask yourself. If you are not involved in any of those then that is probably some fraud trying to steal infos from you. I'd rather not reply and do what he ask if that's the case.

By the way, I just wanted to share that during the MEW hacking controversy, I did not experience losing my coins in contradict to what other people are claiming.
no.. i did not losing my coin..and i dont reply this email.
torrantz

Activity: 1063
Merit: 253

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:48:59 PM

e-mail from MEW?
I use also MEW,  but i can not remind me does i have register with a e-mail adress.

so i think is not a legal e-mail.
I thought that MEW never asking your email when you are trying to signup to create a new ethereum address through MEW service. And that's obviously scam email. Because you need to fill that form and if that was true and MEW developer or kvnuhke must make an official announcement regarding it and that's totally a pising email.

.#1 DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.Join Origin Pre-Sale.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
pageraji (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:51:23 PM

I think thats a scam dong try to update or use your private key in that website or email i was using MEW wallet too but i did not recieve an email and when i fill up MEW you dont need email address so the question is why MEW have your email since they are  not collecting email when you make your new wallet in MEW?
i dont know bro..first i read about this i thinks its phising site. its so suspicious.
pageraji (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 01:54:02 PM

It sounds very much like a phishing attempt. What address/domain was the email sent from? No doubt the form you need to fill in will ask you for your private keys, at which point they will clean out your wallet.
this email come from :
MyEtherWallet <myetherwallet@zoho.eu>
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2018, 01:56:20 PM

I don't think the information is coming from MEW because I am suspecting some phishing attacks from idiot scammers who want to continue their fraudulent activities. Please be careful and know the kind of registration forms you fill these day using your private details because you never can tell where the attack it's going to come from. Our security is very paramount in this our kind of business.

HOMT