Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:34:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Wallet Question  (Read 736 times)
marketorder (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:19:34 AM

How do I check the balance of my Electrum wallet on Blockchain.info? When I use the main public key I use for all incoming transactions it doesn't give me the correct balance when I enter it into Blockchain.info. Electrum gives you multiple key options for importing money I only use 1 of them. That one key when entered into block chain it shows me the wrong balance, why is that?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:22:25 AM

How do I check the balance of my Electrum wallet on Blockchain.info? When I use the main public key I use for all incoming transactions it doesn't give me the correct balance when I enter it into Blockchain.info. Electrum gives you multiple key options for importing money I only use 1 of them. That one key when entered into block chain it shows me the wrong balance, why is that?

Electrum combines all the balances for all addresses it generates from the master public key up to {gap limit} unfunded addresses.
If you want to get the same balance reported in blockchain you'd need to manually import all the relevant private keys there, which is by the way strongly advised against as it may leak information about the private seed.

TL;DR: What you're trying to do doesn't make much sense since blockchain and electrum work in very different ways, and it might even be dangerous.

marketorder (OP)

Activity: 375

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:26:09 AM

If Electrum closes for business does that mean so does my Bitcoins? Since I seem to be so reliant on the software it seems like if the servers running Electrum and the software no longer works will it be impossible to gain access to my Bitcoins?

Electrum combines all the balances for all addresses it generates from the master public key up to {gap limit} unfunded addresses.
If you want to get the same balance reported in blockchain you'd need to manually import all the relevant private keys there, which is by the way strongly advised against as it may leak information about the private seed.

TL;DR: What you're trying to do doesn't make much sense since blockchain and electrum work in very different ways, and it might even be dangerous.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:39:00 AM

go to the wallet and enter your wallet ID into the search bar. it will show your balance.

and i am not an expert, but no i don't think that's how it works. electrum uses central servers to connect to the blockchain though, so if those go down you might have some problems.. however you can export your wallet out, and you also have your seed.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:56:01 AM

If Electrum closes for business does that mean so does my Bitcoins? Since I seem to be so reliant on the software it seems like if the servers running Electrum and the software no longer works will it be impossible to gain access to my Bitcoins?

No, your Bitcoins would be recoverable from your private seed by independently calculating the relevant private keys.
No offense but you have some homework to do

taugsh

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:20:26 AM

To support the bitcoin network and its p2p nature it would be better though to run a client locally instead of relying on third party services as Electrum does.
Or does Electrum propagate blocks/tx to other nodes?
Running your own also gets rid of a point of failure if the Electrum third parties go down.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 11:00:23 PM

To support the bitcoin network and its p2p nature it would be better though to run a client locally instead of relying on third party services as Electrum does.
Running your own also gets rid of a point of failure if the Electrum third parties go down.

You could contribute to the network by having a full node at home in an idle computer, but using Bitcoin-qt as your main client is stupid as you can't spend if you haven't catch up with the network, you will probably lose your coins in a computer failure, you need to keep backups like every time you make a payment, you can't have the same wallet in different computers... and so it goes...

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
imbladednow

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

Woking as a binman sucks.

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 11:05:00 PM

Electrum is local client as well. You dont support Bitcoin much by running Bitcoin-qt 24/7. Mining is more important

I need crypto in my life and garbage out of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: