Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:11:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much % gain/loss before selling  (Read 198 times)
lcga (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 11:50:31 PM

Hello, I'm new here and also new in the cryptocurrency world.

I already bought some coins and got 5% to 15% gain in some of these coins.

My question is, what is your accepted gain/loss % before selling the coin? If you get 5% should you sell it or just wait for it to continue growing?

The question comes because I did not put a lot of money on that, thus I think that I need to buy/sell more frequently to increase my cashflow. Does it make sense?

I would probably hold to some altcoins for the long term when I have more cash to play with.

Thanks!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 11:54:36 PM

My question is, what is your accepted gain/loss % before selling the coin? If you get 5% should you sell it or just wait for it to continue growing?

The question comes because I did not put a lot of money on that, thus I think that I need to buy/sell more frequently to increase my cashflow. Does it make sense?

I would probably hold to some altcoins for the long term when I have more cash to play with.

Thanks!

When it comes to Crypto making 5% is nothing.

When you are trading Forex or stocks you usually aim for 1-2% or so.

With crypto in a few minutes the asset can change by 5% which is nothing.

You need to let your winners run and try and catch the large 20-50% moves.
lcga (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 12:14:14 AM

Thank you for your feedback.

I have some altcoin that are already with 20% gain, but it is just small change since I invested just a little to understand how it works.

Maybe a good option would be to allocate some money and start doing some day-week trades to get the idea of how much would be acceptable and then start building a portfolio with long term coins.
thepr0digy21

Activity: 137
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 12:34:16 AM

Thanks!

I would say this is all dependent on the specific coin and how you feel about the utility of this coin. I will usually hold onto high utility coins with a solid team and decent marketing a bit longer than any "shitcoin" that comes around every other day.

5%-15% is not massive in the grand scheme of crypto as coins can do this daily. If you do come up with a specific trading/selling method, I would stick to it through thick and thin. Best of luck!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:00:31 AM

If you're an absolute newcomer then you should well and truly pace yourself. This area is totally bonkers compared to any normal market. Most people wouldn't blink at something losing 10% in a minute, let alone a day.

Only you can decide what trades you're happy with.
Jaycee99

Activity: 1036
Merit: 273

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:13:04 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2018, 12:54:15 PM by Jaycee99

Well its up to you if you want more but I with wait but if there is any sign going down than but I still earned  (lets say 1% loss) 4 % I will sell it ASAP

Yes if that what you think but I think of your actin with sense and this might be helpful if any case you did not see this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3239899.0

I would probably hold to some altcoins for the long term when I have more cash to play with

Me too same idea as you but for me while I am going to hold I will keep up to date to see the cash/market flow of the speacific altcoin you have.
Seetheummerallyeah

Activity: 280
Merit: 41

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:17:30 AM

That is completely up to you. Different people have different strategies and are willing to take varying levels of risk.

I know a lot of day traders who make hundreds of trades, and they often sell at a 1% gain. This may not seem like much but it does add up after hundreds of trades.

I also know people who are strongly against day trading. These people tend to buy a coin they believe in and hold. Again, the profit needed for them to sell varies from person to person but the number is much higher than day traders
UnlimitedMoneymaker

Activity: 304
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 01:26:41 AM

If it's total new for you and you have never invested in cryptocurrency before then it's better to invest small portion of your money in the crypto projects. Don't try to invest all at once. Go slowly and steady. Choose good projects from the top 20 that you researched and invest in them. The more information about the market you have the more risk you can take on you. Be carefull in this wild world of crypto.

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:28:19 AM

The results you get will be proportional to the capital you invest.
5% is worthless if you hold a small capital.
20% of those profits may be enough, requiring patience to trade. Unless you do daily trading consistently earn 5% profit.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
lcga (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:35:44 AM

And what would you think is the best metric to evaluate the gain/loss? USD or BTC?

For example I have one that gives me 26% gain with USD and 16% gain with BTC.

I'm trying to get used to BTC numbers, but not there yet Smiley

The results you get will be proportional to the capital you invest.
5% is worthless if you hold a small capital.
20% of those profits may be enough, requiring patience to trade. Unless you do daily trading consistently earn 5% profit.

I will start trading low amounts more frequently to see how it goes.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:17:39 AM

Well from my experience it's depend on the market, if the market is good then you can set your profit for over 30%, the market on August 2017 is bullish market, it's very easy to make 70-80% profit, but now I will be realistic and set my profit to 5-10% for short term trading

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 03:27:13 AM

You should know one thing that nothing will grow continuously up. So you should set a limit for booking profit and losses. It is not a bull market so if your reach more than 10% profit then try to book some profit and invest in other coins or keep cash to invest back when prices come down.

Not altcoin but try to hold some BTC for a long term because it is a better coin compared to altcoins for a long term. But if you more fund then choose few other coins along with bitcoin to hold for long term.
yhoga45

Activity: 294
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 03:45:51 AM

Thanks!

If you put a little money, of course, you will earn a little too, but I agree with you with a little money. Keep training on it because become trader also need a patience, you just earn and haven't lost your money yet? If you're not FOMO of course 10% gain is enough. How much %loss then sell? I don't know yet because I'm also holding my coins whatever the condition  Grin
chel0

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 04:16:06 AM

For me, it depends on how much is the investment I'm putting in. With respect to percent gain, 25% at most is my target for selling the coins and for %loss I can't tell yet. But probably, I would still HODL it until such time the price go over its original price or make it even. 
Fazlurkhan.kz

Activity: 266
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:20:00 AM

The first thing to do is check the coins having similarities in the concept. Like a coin is made for the purpose of only lending then there might other similar coins with that same motive too, so find them and research about their price chart from the scratch. Now, you yourself figure out how high can the coin rise, what potential does it have. On the basis of that, just fix a percentage of profit you would want to gain and sell that coin whenever it reaches your fixed goals even if it rises further better, but do sell when your target is hit. Look it as a fixed payment for your job (TRADING) and if there is a further rise in the value then that is just a holiday bonus!
logan16j

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:07:36 PM

Thanks!
With a market that is falling and it is hard to predict today's success, it's extremely difficult to trade successfully. You can see that with a market going down, profit margins are reduced. Risks are the best option. 1. I hurt the gap between 3% and 5% because my capital is low. If your capital is large then you can DCA to wait for the price increase.
Reatim

Activity: 2870
Merit: 360

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:11:24 PM

Thank you for your feedback.

I have some altcoin that are already with 20% gain, but it is just small change since I invested just a little to understand how it works.

Maybe a good option would be to allocate some money and start doing some day-week trades to get the idea of how much would be acceptable and then start building a portfolio with long term coins.

Altcoins are different animal mate, lol. Most of them are just pump-and-dump coins so just be careful. You will see a lot of coins being pump with no apparent reason, some as high as 100% in matter of days. Just be careful though.

For me a good 5%-10% will be a good exit strategy for me. I don't want to be that greedy, for daily trading hard to say probably around  2%-5% if you are that lucky and good.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
BlockEye
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1097

Bounty Mngr & Article Writer https://goo.gl/p4Agsh

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:35:52 PM

Well from my experience it's depend on the market, if the market is good then you can set your profit for over 30%, the market on August 2017 is bullish market, it's very easy to make 70-80% profit, but now I will be realistic and set my profit to 5-10% for short term trading
We get at least a closer to normal percentage of profit at this period, the profit before were too high, that we all just depend on it thats why we get too frustrated when it dumps. We might see percentage that are just close to 20-30% when the market starts to recover slowly.
bitterguy28

Activity: 2044
Merit: 181

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 11:52:27 PM

10 to 15 percent gain are enough for me but depends on my monitoring and for my feelings, if feel the coins going dump again I sell it I not wasting time to resell to get profit, that's why trading need to monitor and giving long time to get earn.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I suggest to research the cheaper altcoins have potential to grow for your long term invest.
putting small amount of money depends on the trader's its up to you how much money you want to invest.

BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 12:26:44 AM

I don't want to be that greedy, for daily trading hard to say probably around  2%-5% if you are that lucky and good.
Even these percentages are on the higher side for me. Only an extremely small number of traders manage to end their days with a profit in this market, and even smaller number manages to make around 2-3% per day.

People quite often think that making like 2% per day is low and thus doable, but it really isn't. 2% per day is still +700% per year. If you manage to do that, you'll be a millionaire eventually without a serious starting capital.

I see around the forum how people make fun of 1% per day, and act like they can do that easily, but I have yet to see anyone be able to consistently generate 1% per day. Easy money doesn't exist, not even in this market.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: