Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:37:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Final Hurrah?  (Read 3585 times)
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:56:34 AM

Not really. These are only the initial bumps. We are very patient.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vulgata

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 02:23:03 PM

*edit* but the premise of the thread regarding making bitcoin more "user friendly" holds true. having to un-encrypt my wallet, open the client, make the exchange, and then re-encrypt my wallet and "delete" the original file *(who knows if it's ever truly deleted, even after emptying the recycle bin? not to mention that the whole time I'm trying to catch up to the network my wallet is pretty much fair game)*

if this doesn't get easy enough for the masses, it will never be adopted by the masses.

I agree that it needs to get MUCH, MUCH easier for it to gain mainstream appeal, but FWIW this is all I need to do to use my BTC as a total noob with zero programming experience/knowledge:

• o (decrypts wallet.dat, opens client/daemon, lists account balances)
  • b sendtoaddress
  • c (closes client, encrypts wallet.dat, shreds plaintext wallet.dat 1000 times)

My .bashrc:

Code:
alias o='gpg -o ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat -d ~/.bitcoin/wallet.backup && bitcoind && bitcoind listaccounts'
alias b='bitcoind'
alias c='gpg -o ~/.bitcoin/wallet.backup -c ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat && shred -uzn 1000 ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat'

Also if you want to keep your blockchain updated you can just keep it running without your wallet.dat since it's stored separately in blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:06:42 PM

I agree that it needs to get MUCH, MUCH easier for it to gain mainstream appeal, but FWIW this is all I need to do to use my BTC as a total noob with zero programming experience/knowledge
(proceeding to list bashrc aliases)

Where do I put this .bashrc file, to Windows/System32 folder or it's ok on my desktop? Smiley Thanks for sharing, but real noobs will need a better way to start using BTC securely... Like a GUI with one button where wallet is encrypted and you don't have to learn the word *blockchain* ever Smiley

i am satoshi
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:23:09 PM

I own a pizza joint. I get the same lawyers, judges, etc that don't know how to place an order, read a menu, or understand why their total includes tax.

Nevermind the lawyers and judges, being in a support/consultation job, there are some chillingly stupid things I hear/see bank satff say/do themselves Cheesy

Yet somehow the banking system despite having some amazingly dumb lawyers and bankers, still seems to be working... so far Cheesy
Xephan

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:26:04 PM

I agree that it needs to get MUCH, MUCH easier for it to gain mainstream appeal, but FWIW this is all I need to do to use my BTC as a total noob with zero programming experience/knowledge:

• o (decrypts wallet.dat, opens client/daemon, lists account balances)
  • b sendtoaddress
  • c (closes client, encrypts wallet.dat, shreds plaintext wallet.dat 1000 times)

My .bashrc:

Code:
alias o='gpg -o ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat -d ~/.bitcoin/wallet.backup && bitcoind && bitcoind listaccounts'
alias b='bitcoind'
alias c='gpg -o ~/.bitcoin/wallet.backup -c ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat && shred -uzn 1000 ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat'

Also if you want to keep your blockchain updated you can just keep it running without your wallet.dat since it's stored separately in blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat.

You know, anybody who knows how to use a CLI, including the one in Windows for that matter, cannot be considered a noob. Cheesy
vulgata

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:14:11 PM

I agree that it needs to get MUCH, MUCH easier for it to gain mainstream appeal, but FWIW this is all I need to do to use my BTC as a total noob with zero programming experience/knowledge
(proceeding to list bashrc aliases)

Where do I put this .bashrc file, to Windows/System32 folder or it's ok on my desktop? Smiley Thanks for sharing, but real noobs will need a better way to start using BTC securely... Like a GUI with one button where wallet is encrypted and you don't have to learn the word *blockchain* ever Smiley

You know, anybody who knows how to use a CLI, including the one in Windows for that matter, cannot be considered a noob. Cheesy

Haha yeah, that's why I said there's still a long way to go until Joe Average uses it.  It's more of an argument for how simple the CLI really is and how Linux highlights its use, encouraging the best tool for a given job.  Sometimes the GUI isn't faster or easier, even if it may be more familiar and comfortable just because you're used to it.  And even when helping noobs, it's much easier to say "copy and paste this" than give a long list of "click this button halfway down the page third from the right, then scroll down the dropdown list until you see this, then go back to the last screen with the green bars and find the tall box between the two short boxes..."

And you could easily make a batch file in Windows on your desktop that you can double click for the same results, but I'm not as familiar with that.
Xephan

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:36:00 PM

Haha yeah, that's why I said there's still a long way to go until Joe Average uses it.  It's more of an argument for how simple the CLI really is and how Linux highlights its use, encouraging the best tool for a given job.  Sometimes the GUI isn't faster or easier, even if it may be more familiar and comfortable just because you're used to it.  And even when helping noobs, it's much easier to say "copy and paste this" than give a long list of "click this button halfway down the page third from the right, then scroll down the dropdown list until you see this, then go back to the last screen with the green bars and find the tall box between the two short boxes..."

And you could easily make a batch file in Windows on your desktop that you can double click for the same results, but I'm not as familiar with that.

I'd say that for the average joe, a GUI is the better tool for the job. While a CLI may be more convenient for support reasons, for the same reason it is also more dangerous. Imagine if the noob copied just one option short which usually isn't disastrous but... More critically a social hacker could also use the same convenient to make the user do something irrevocably stupid.

It'll take a much stupid user to follow an instructions that brings up a prompt "Are you sure you want to send so much to this person?", than for one to copy and paste something like "btcsend 10000 -addr 126784FGCAB183 -yes" for an unprompted send.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: