Bitcoin Forum
November 19, 2017, 09:32:23 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining.bitcoin.cz connection?  (Read 1189 times)
binarian

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:12:22 AM

Picture if you will:
I have 2 computers that currently mine for bitcoins, both of them cpu miners only.  (I will not upgrade until I get my current issues worked out.)

One of them is an intel machine that just runs the standard, official bitcoin client in generating mode.  However, my other machine is a PPC mac G5 running Ubuntu server (about 8 years old).  Since most of this machine's existence is purposed towards wasting electricity, I figured I might as well put it to use.  So, I started looking into getting the bitcoin client onto it.  This is apparently impossible, due to little-endian vs big-endian conflicts.  Instead, I started searching for a java-based miner since java runs on anything, and I actually know how to debug it.  No dice.  Finally found a C++ miner, namely cpuminer: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=1925.0

After a select few compiling issues involving libcurl, it now generates perfectly at a whopping 1.2 Mh/s. Yay.

Since this is obviously not a huge number, I joined a pool to see what would happen, and if it was worth getting some actual GPU equipment in there.  Henceforth, I am now a proud member of Bitcoin Pooled Mining at http://mining.bitcoin.cz/accounts/profile/.  The account is set up (no issues there).

When I run cpuminer:
Code:
./minerd -t 2 --url "http://api2.bitcoin.cz:8332" --userpass username.minername:password
I get no errors whatsoever.  It starts up two threads like it should and starts cranking away.

2 hours later, on the BPM site, my worker still has 0 "Current shares".  I would think that this is normal, since the hash rate is so slow.  However, when I did a test connection to btcguild (have an account there as well for testing), it didn't even show my hash rate.  So now I am wondering if something is wrong with my machine (besides the fact it is PPC, or a mac, or not made out of lollipops, thanks) or if something is wrong with the network connection, or something else.

To reiterate: machine is crunching, but the website has no current shares listed.  Indeed, there is no external evidence at all that there is a machine working under my account.

I do occasionally get a "PROOF OF WORK RESULT: false" message, and the timestamps check out, so I am at least RECEIVING traffic correctly.

I am behind a firewall if it is relevant.

Ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
jh1523

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:48:41 AM

Not familiar with that particular miner, but your hash rate is pretty low. Slush's pool is high-powered and new blocks are generated sometimes in a matter of minutes. If your client doesn't return one completed share by the time a block is solved it will of course record 0 shares, the work on the current share dropped and it will start anew with a new share from the new block etc.

My suggestion is to try again on a smaller pool, where your miner will have a chance.

If you feel I have helped you, consider donating to 1BFLDATk4iE6R2hYTfqNjxBZYctU9eshCM
binarian

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:23:03 AM

Ah.  ok I will try that immediately.  Thank you for the prompt reply.  I wasn't entirely sure of all of the intricacies of this entire system.
ToriAmos1963

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 05:34:06 AM

Have you tried the java-based bitminter?  The author is very active on this forum and has a very nice miner.  The pool is small and he is paying 5% bonus until the 60th block has been found.  So far, we've found 3.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22432.0

19bcU3x3Z4d2niU6JubSuZyPBBUgmTFEff
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.