Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:59:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing wallet for e-commerce use  (Read 398 times)
giorgiofr (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:08:35 PM

Suppose I want to run a service on a webserver that not only receives but also sends out BTC, like a gambling or an exchange site.
Now suppose I do not trust any external service for sending out transactions, because e.g. recent events make me feel strongly against relying on third parties.
How would I go about running by bitcoind securely on my own server(s) without fear of being compromised? All I can think of is separating bitcoind from the webserver and run all transaction orders via a locked down gateway, probably with some kind of queue system, but this just makes attack surface smaller and does not really solve the problem. Something like webserver <--> order DB <--> bitcoind, with the order db only listening to the one port it needs and requiring encryption + authentication. But I'm not really satisfied with this design.
What are the best practices for this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 02:13:21 PM

A "hot wallet" (i.e. one running on a server connected to the internet) is always going to be problematic.

Depending upon your needs you'd be better of having coins put into "cold storage" and signing transactions *offline* although that may not be suitable due to delays (especially if you process the *offline* transactions manually).

Typically sites like exchanges use a combination of "hot" and "cold" wallets to provide for quick response but with added security (better to only lose say 10% of the BTC due to a hacker than 100%).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: