Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:57:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing wallet for e-commerce use  (Read 398 times)
giorgiofr (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:08:35 PM

Suppose I want to run a service on a webserver that not only receives but also sends out BTC, like a gambling or an exchange site.
Now suppose I do not trust any external service for sending out transactions, because e.g. recent events make me feel strongly against relying on third parties.
How would I go about running by bitcoind securely on my own server(s) without fear of being compromised? All I can think of is separating bitcoind from the webserver and run all transaction orders via a locked down gateway, probably with some kind of queue system, but this just makes attack surface smaller and does not really solve the problem. Something like webserver <--> order DB <--> bitcoind, with the order db only listening to the one port it needs and requiring encryption + authentication. But I'm not really satisfied with this design.
What are the best practices for this?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 02:13:21 PM

A "hot wallet" (i.e. one running on a server connected to the internet) is always going to be problematic.

Depending upon your needs you'd be better of having coins put into "cold storage" and signing transactions *offline* although that may not be suitable due to delays (especially if you process the *offline* transactions manually).

Typically sites like exchanges use a combination of "hot" and "cold" wallets to provide for quick response but with added security (better to only lose say 10% of the BTC due to a hacker than 100%).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: