Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the April Fools' Day Ranking System - or something similar to it - be permanently implemented?
Yay (Yes)
Nay (No)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Should the April Fools' Day Ranking System be permanently implemented?  (Read 285 times)
paulmaritz (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:06:29 AM
Merited by jacktheking (1)

On April 1st - April Fools' Day in the West, many of us were pleasantly surprised by new additions to the ranking system to our left. On the other hand, it worried others. It was removed after April 1st, but it would be nice to see something similar implemented for real. Yes, it would be nice to see a April Fools' Day joke implemented for real. It took the attention away from merit alone. It gave hope where the existing ranking system is casting a dark shadow in crypto land, especially given a sea of red. Grin

I saw the following to my left:

Activity: 504
Merit: 259
Politeness: 250
fMerit: 128
Imagination: 42
Virtue: 7
Coins: 170

Cast your vote now - and perhaps tell us why you chose to vote Yay or Nay. Perhaps the gods will hear our plight and grant us favor. Or hear that we're well-pleased with the existing ranking system - and no changes are needed. Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 09:40:18 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

It was a joke because it made ranking up completely random.

Politeness: Implement this and everyone will just spam unnecessarily please and thanks in every post.
fMerit: This was a pseudo-RNG
Imagination: Posting images - a joke on the similarity of the words.
Virtue: A joke about a Lauda being a witch
Coins: Spam the names of coins.

Then feed the result in Conway's game of life to randomize it.

How do you want to implement anything based on that?

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 09:41:25 AM

Fuck no... Sir and Mr in every fucking post? fuck that shit in the ear.

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
gamaman990

Activity: 152
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:45:53 AM

fool's merit is still a merit and should stay and convertible to merit points. People need some cheers in this bleak market.
paulmaritz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:50:28 AM

haha They could add FckMerit to cater to "no fcks" given. Grin
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 09:52:37 AM

fool's merit is still a merit and should stay and convertible to merit points. People need some cheers in this bleak market.

It was a frickin' random number.

Spot on.

I'm sure yes will win your poll because there are a lot more spammers that have no hope of getting Merit then there are Bitcoin enthusiasts on this forum. Which is exactly why the Merit system is implemented the way it is.

paulmaritz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:56:22 AM

It was a joke because it made ranking up completely random.

Politeness: Implement this and everyone will just spam unnecessarily please and thanks in every post.
fMerit: This was a pseudo-RNG
Imagination: Posting images - a joke on the similarity of the words.
Virtue: A joke about a Lauda being a witch
Coins: Spam the names of coins.

Then feed the result in Conway's game of life to randomize it.

How do you want to implement anything based on that?

They have already implemented it once. They can do it again. Merits alone could still be the deciding factor when it comes to ranking up - or getting out of Dodge, but it would be great to have some fun with the rest of the stuff while getting there.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 09:59:36 AM

They have already implemented it once. They can do it again. Merits alone could still be the deciding factor when it comes to ranking up - or getting out of Dodge, but it would be great to have some fun with the rest of the stuff while getting there.

For what possible purpose would you do that? Tell me how any one of those metrics has any value beyond amusement. I've already pointed out that the only outcome is spam.

paulmaritz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:06:40 AM

It was a frickin' random number.

Spot on.

I'm sure yes will win your poll because there are a lot more spammers that have no hope of getting Merit then there are Bitcoin enthusiasts on this forum. Which is exactly why the Merit system is implemented the way it is.

I am a Bitcoin and crypto enthusiast with a sense of humor like some others out there. Call us spammers all day long, I couldn't care less. It is easy to see the new ranking system as God's give to earth if you didn't have to walk the extra 1000 miles that are required now. So shoot us for wanting to bring a sense of humor into the equation to have more fun along the way. Fun that won't count in favor of ranking up, but something that should make the day a bit more brighter. What is the harm in that? I fail to see it.
paulmaritz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:07:47 AM

For what possible purpose would you do that? Tell me how any one of those metrics has any value beyond amusement. I've already pointed out that the only outcome is spam.

As I've indicated: "Merits alone could still be the deciding factor when it comes to ranking up - or getting out of Dodge, but it would be great to have some fun with the rest of the stuff while getting there." And I fail to see how it will create more spam.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 10:11:31 AM

So shoot us for wanting to bring a sense of humor into the equation to have more fun along the way. Fun that won't count in favor of ranking up, but something that should make the day a bit more brighter. What is the harm in that? I fail to see it.

The only metrics used that you have any influence on could only be increased by spamming. Reducing spam is the whole point of Merit so this would be counterproductive. It was good for a one day joke as the numbers weren't updated live. If it was kept it would be a nightmare.

- Politeness was how many times you used "please", "sir", "pardon", "apprecia*", "may I", "thanks", and "thank you" in past posts. This is poking a bit of fun at the people who are unnecessarily polite like this.
 - Imagination was how many times you posted an image tag in past posts.
 - Coins was how many distinct "coins" you mentioned in past posts. A coin was reckoned as any three-letter acronym (so Satoshi got several from things like "FYI" and "CIA"), as well as any word ending in "coin" (like "Bitcoin"). It was distinct coins, so if you posted the word "bitcoin" 100 times, that'd still only count as 1.

This is how many non-scammer trust ratings you have both sent and received.

Spam all the above to increase your score.

I'm not calling you a spammer but I don't think you have thought this through. If you had you would see it.

paulmaritz (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:35:43 AM

So shoot us for wanting to bring a sense of humor into the equation to have more fun along the way. Fun that won't count in favor of ranking up, but something that should make the day a bit more brighter. What is the harm in that? I fail to see it.

The only metrics used that you have any influence on could only be increased by spamming. Reducing spam is the whole point of Merit so this would be counterproductive. It was good for a one day joke as the numbers weren't updated live. If it was kept it would be a nightmare.

I'm not calling you a spammer but I don't think you have thought this through. If you had you would see it.

I fail to see why people would make a conscious effort to be anything besides themselves, especially considering that the others factors would not count towards ranking up.

However, I do get the fact that a sense of humor has never been a strong factor at this forum nor to be polite when dealing with others. I've had many posts deleted as a result of it. It is much better to be cold hearted and dead serious. I also get the notion entertained by many that intelligence and a sense of humor are not good bed mates. In any case, let me get on with my daily task that involves "spamming" since 2013 - the promotion of Bitcoin and cryptos. And no, I don't feel sorry for myself. Sorry has never placed any food on the table. I do however get irritated by a lot that's happening.

This will be my last response in this thread. Others who get what I am saying are at liberty to run with the rest of it. Admin is also welcome to delete it. I couldn't care less.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 10:41:37 AM

I fail to see why people would make a conscious effort to be anything besides themselves, especially considering that the others factors would not count towards ranking up.

Because it's there. That is human nature.

However, I do get the fact that a sense of humor has never been a strong factor at this forum nor to be polite when dealing with others. I've had many posts deleted as a result of it. It is much better to be cold hearted and dead serious. I also get the notion entertained by many that intelligence and a sense of humor are not good bed mates.

I would disagree with this and theymos's joke is a great example to prove the point. The only things you can do to get a better score is spam, but then that doesn't actually get you anywhere because it's random. A brilliant joke.

mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 01:49:24 PM

Move on!!!

A BIG NO

There were no way to determine a rank from all those parameters. i.e: Politeness, Imagination, Virtue, Coins.

It caught me LOL then later realised the truth.

A brilliant joke.

Of course it was brilliant. He fooled almost everyone.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3052

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 01:57:12 PM

And I fail to see how it will create more spam.

Well you have identified your problem, now you need to work on a solution!  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 05:58:58 PM

Newbies will still take the statistics into consideration. High karma may signify an established reputation to some people. You can have your humor but it should be contained and not affect the perceptions of others.

siR pLeAsE

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10153

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:35:07 PM

Move on!!!

A BIG NO

There were no way to determine a rank from all those parameters. i.e: Politeness, Imagination, Virtue, Coins.

It caught me LOL then later realised the truth.

A brilliant joke.

Of course it was brilliant. He fooled almost everyone.

Earlier I had made an assertion that 90% were likely not fooled, but what do I know.  There were parts of the implementation that were so outrageous that it should not be true, yet it was presented as if it were serious.. but the fact that it was made on April 1, and lots of posters identified that fact early on, would have caused more recognition of the joke.

So, yeah, the joke seems to have played into the wishful thinking of a lot of lower ranking members, who would want to dilute the new merit system to such a degree that it reverts back to the old ranking up system.  I can see why some members would want to have changes in that direction, and theymos was taking their requests (and desires) to a kind of extreme, while keeping it serious looking enough that some members bought into it (even if it was merely a kind of wishful thinking).

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:00:21 AM

I really like theymos April Fools joke but I do not wish to see this joke all year round. This will add more confusion to beginners. And they will start posting (/spamming) topics like "What is politeness?", "Can someone explain fMerit to me?" etc.

The April Fools joke should only remain exclusively for ... April Fool.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 03:29:38 AM

I voted Yes. As long as it's done at the same time as removal of all sigs, avatars, and a strict ban on ads in posts - I'm fine with it.

None of it is happening though, regardless of the poll results.
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 04:38:41 PM

Please no. There will be a lot of people like you, who is entertained by stats on the profile page and then they will start to spam the forum to increase it, just to make sure they fulfill their satisfaction for that numbers.
Although to be polite is good, but i think i will vomit if i see so many "sir" word in the forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: