Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:56:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many whitepapers have you read thoroughly and carefully?  (Read 158 times)
MovieChain (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:16:54 AM

Before investing in any projects, do you research their team information and read the whitepaper carefully? Or will you get a basic knowledge of the financial condition of the company?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Knightly

Activity: 132
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:20:20 AM

Hi there,

My honest answer? Not enough.
I've read a few for basic roadmaps/understanding the tech/seeing if what they're proposing is viable/innovative. But I'll be the first to admit that I've been slack with doing my own research; I'm part of a crypto group and I've jumped on a lot of the recommendations from there - worked so far.

Especially if you're investing a substantial amount of your money in to a project, I'd definitely recommend reading whitepapers to get an understanding of what exactly you're placing your money into.
In saying that, quite a few projects release a whitepaper after going to the market. It's generally not advisable, but it happens.

Good luck out there!

-Knightly
Piggy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 10:23:07 AM

Before investing in any projects, do you research their team information and read the whitepaper carefully? Or will you get a basic knowledge of the financial condition of the company?

Im afraid to read the answers on this thread. But hopefully people will learn from their mistakes. In the end is just money.
manlyxman

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:26:16 AM

Im afraid to read the answers on this thread. But hopefully people will learn from their mistakes. In the end is just money.

I don't think it's that surprising to see that most people don't read the white paper. Especially considering the kind of questions/threads we see here. Grin

But I have to admit that I haven't read most whitepapers thoroughly and carefully either. Either I've quit half-way through (dislike the project, etc.) or for some other reason. Sometimes I just skip the one-pager whitepaper and that can be enough.
Xioma

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:39:15 AM

I don't read all the details of it to be honest. Just enough to draw a conclusion on.

Of course, it depends on the project and if I'm still unconvinced I seek more info.
ahmadakbari

Activity: 602
Merit: 116

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:46:29 AM

I usually don't read whitepapers and I have never read a whitepaper completely.
I think most of the people don't read the whitepaper. Because even a good whitepaper is not a guarantee that the project will be sucessfull. It's easy to write a great whitepaper and ignore it after a big fund raised.
kmkfan628

Activity: 39
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:58:26 AM

i am not afraid to admit that i do not read every single whitepaper of the coins or tokens i have bought or have been interested in. that being said, it is often the case that the most important details from the whitepapers are generally covered in a concise way in the FAQ, or in videos by the developers, or the about section of the website for that coin. combining that with looking up the people who are on the development team tends to give me a good idea of how serious the project is and how likely they are to successfully deliver their product to market. there are some coins like BAT which after i watched the introductory videos i was so interested i wanted to know more about what they were doing in a more technical form, so i went through the white paper.

i believe reading the whitepapers can be kind of difficult to grasp for some people who are not technically inclined. and in that case i feel like a good secondary source of information is if you can find one or two highly qualified youtubers who have done videos breaking down the aspects of the coin which are important. Ivan on Tech is one youtuber whose opinion i certainly trust. though there is SO much money in the space going to marketing, that the blessing of a youtuber with a large following can significantly impact the success of a coin, and for this reason i always take their videos with a grain of salt. sometimes you can stumble across a video where it is the developer themselves doing a lecture on their coin and what makes it different, or an interview between the developer and another knowledgeable person who can ask the hard questions and get the developers answers to questions which may not even be answered in their whitepaper. videos that feature the developers i feel are a reasonably good resource if you are not going to read the whitepaper yourself.
arndt.maier

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:02:54 AM

I've read thoroughly 1 WP and some of them looked through.
For me they are very similar.
Now I think it's enough to read some important chapters thoroughly and just look looked through general and typical chapters (they are just a waste of time).
fatenmo

Activity: 280
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:04:53 AM

I always try to read the whitepaper and end up paying more attention to some sections than others
JanEmil

Activity: 2296
Merit: 668

Community management 24/7 for hire

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 11:22:21 AM

I don't read whitepaper any more. The team is the only thing that matters for me now.
Some of the best projects (whitepapers) I invested in last year was fake or promised too much.
My new stategy is to find good teams that found on Linkedin, Team reply questions, Team use real names and pictures, Team have the skills needed. Team WORK and show progress.
Projects that don't need a billion to make an APP. Realistic budgets.

CryptoAllDay

Activity: 578
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:24:37 AM

I always check through the whitepaper carefully to see the feasibility of the project from a technical standpoint, and then compare it to the team members to see if their experience aligns with their goal.  If a project seems too good to be true, or if the team has experience and background in areas that are completely unrelated to the project, then I see that as a red flag.
huoxuanjyphl591

Activity: 269
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:27:01 AM

I will read all of the whitepaper if I want to make the investment. I thnk it is good for us to know more thing about what we want to do.

chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:36:30 AM

I try to get the necessary knowledge about the company rather than tried to read whole of the whitepaper. But the important thing is about to understand what will be done by the company to build a good business plan.

For me, I don't need a lot of research but I try to get the hype rated from the demand of project itself. Big hype means there will be a lot of people will try to join.

Haley craft

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:37:26 AM

Most of the time I'm not interested in the white paper.
Because the ICO project is more like a gamble, most ICO projects have no value, just hype.

Daniel9140

Activity: 252
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:40:35 AM

When I got into cryptocurrency, the first thing my mentor always adviced me to do is, before any investment, make sure I read the white paper and do my due diligence before investment. So, any project I get involved in, I make sure I read the white paper before either investing my time in bounty programs or investing my funds into the project.
herurist

Activity: 1680
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:43:16 AM

I do that as the first step to know and understand their concept project, from there I can predict their product value using fundamental method. After that I'll keep follow how they work and if the team doesn't built a good communication with members, I'll leave it. Until now, I use this simple method and sometimes safe my asset.

███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
minhdang2212

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:46:20 AM

I often read the documentation of the project very carefully, I want to see if their implementation is feasible, I also know the members of their team, I will be more comfortable if someone in the team are more experience in blockchain and specialized in the project.
Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 12:34:24 PM

I read few of them, asked few questions about it. Honestly, they all look the same blah blah blah we a doing " some technical terms" and no understanding why that must cost millions/billions of dollars, who will be paying for this, what monetization.

ZaoXhou

Activity: 467
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 12:38:54 PM

A lot of whitepapers, and you can immediately see who knows how to write a whitepaper and who doesn't.
cryptochr

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 12:42:58 PM

Once I have made my decision that I am interested in an ICO I will read the whitepaper as it is one of the factors that I used before finalising my decision to invest
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: