Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:35:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is btc arbitrage disappearing? (Exchange price differences narrowing)  (Read 759 times)
sarahb (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 12:19:11 AM

Mt. Gox withdrawals seem to be taking as long as ever.  Why are prices there no longer 10-15% higher than the rest of the exchanges (bitstamp, btc-e, etc.)?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cassimares

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 01:00:32 AM

Mt. Gox withdrawals seem to be taking as long as ever.  Why are prices there no longer 10-15% higher than the rest of the exchanges (bitstamp, btc-e, etc.)?

Someone in japan figured the arbitrage and has being doing it massively... FYI you can withdraw Mt Gox to a Japan bank easily....

sarahb (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:41:34 AM

Mt. Gox prices used to be 10-15% higher to compensate for the risk that you wouldn't get your money out, and for the time it would take to get your USD out.  Since withdrawals are taking as long as ever, I am wondering why this risk and time premium is no longer being paid.
sarahb (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:52:25 AM

Cassimares, is that a guess or do you have some data that someone in japan is doing it?  e.g., volume there has gone up dramatically.  If you have a Japanese bank account, can you withdraw USD as well?  Or only JPY? 
keysersozeTx

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 07:06:37 AM

What kind of question is that? Obviously arbitrage in an electronic and border-less currency shouldn't exist and the more established it gets the less arbitrage will be possible. Hopefully it will be absolutely zero in a few weeks/months.
jerrybusey

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:50:25 AM

I don't know what the securities regulations and laws are like in Japan in general or with regards to bitcoin but I would expect that MtGox would be engaged in some proprietary trading if legally possible. There's no reason for them to leave money on the table in terms of arbitrage opportunities if they can avoid it.

BTC love: 13pBauoSCJBF5Vdb1AuMYg1kDvrKzNSthU
sarahb (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:07:56 PM

Thanks jerrybusey that makes sense.  I'm just curious what happened and why there is no longer a big price premium on selling on an illiquid exchange.  I'd imagine if mtgox was doing it, they would also have to factor in that there would be less motivation for ppl to sell their bitcoins there if they are no longer going to get a premium to compensate for the additional risk of default and illiquidity.
irpirate

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:24:58 PM

They shouldn't have been that different in the first place
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: