Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2018, 04:57:24 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)
 
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-05 BusinessInsider - Researchers Say 'Bitcoin Is Broken', Could Collapse  (Read 1727 times)
siennamar
Member
**
Offline Offline

Activity: 72
Merit: 10


View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:39:28 AM
 #1

http://www.businessinsider.com/researchers-say-bitcoin-is-broken-and-could-collapse-2013-11

 
 
Two computer science researchers at Cornell University say they've uncovered a fundamental flaw in Bitcoin that is so bad, it could kill Bitcoin dead.

The problem is with how people "mine" bitcoins. Mining is how bitcoins are created. Most people don't mine bitcoins anymore. They buy them or take them as payment. But some people are in the business of mining coins with special bitcoin-mining computers. Even so, it is so difficult and time consuming for a computer to create new bitcoins that some miners have banded together in pools, using multiple computers that work together.
 

1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on sites such as blockchain.info and brainwallet.org. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
1529600244
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1529600244

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1529600244
Reply with quote  #2

1529600244
Report to moderator
thebrit
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Make the Bitcoin, don't let the Bitcoin make you.


View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:52:33 AM
 #2

... which anybody who knows a damned thing about bitcoin is already aware of!!!

bclcjunkie
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 836
Merit: 1000



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:18:00 AM
 #3

you're either new to bitcoin and unaware that this is rehashed old news... or... just spreading fud to knock the price down, not gonna happen.. i'll lean to the latter...  Cool

http://www.businessinsider.com/researchers-say-bitcoin-is-broken-and-could-collapse-2013-11

 
 
Two computer science researchers at Cornell University say they've uncovered a fundamental flaw in Bitcoin that is so bad, it could kill Bitcoin dead.

The problem is with how people "mine" bitcoins. Mining is how bitcoins are created. Most people don't mine bitcoins anymore. They buy them or take them as payment. But some people are in the business of mining coins with special bitcoin-mining computers. Even so, it is so difficult and time consuming for a computer to create new bitcoins that some miners have banded together in pools, using multiple computers that work together.
 

bclcjunkie
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 836
Merit: 1000



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:21:49 AM
 #4

this shouldn't even be in "auctions" section so you're bitcoin illiterate who is unaware that this is rehashed old news... or... just spreading fud to knock the price down, not gonna happen.. somehow my gut tells me you're the latter...  Cool

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/03/ebay-ceo-john-donahoe-is-bullish-on-digital-currency-and-hes-keeping-tabs-on-bitcoin/
http://www.coindesk.com/btc-china-beats-mt-gox-bitstamp-become-worlds-1-bitcoin-exchange/
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-debit-cards-come-canada/

http://www.businessinsider.com/researchers-say-bitcoin-is-broken-and-could-collapse-2013-11

 
 
Two computer science researchers at Cornell University say they've uncovered a fundamental flaw in Bitcoin that is so bad, it could kill Bitcoin dead.

The problem is with how people "mine" bitcoins. Mining is how bitcoins are created. Most people don't mine bitcoins anymore. They buy them or take them as payment. But some people are in the business of mining coins with special bitcoin-mining computers. Even so, it is so difficult and time consuming for a computer to create new bitcoins that some miners have banded together in pools, using multiple computers that work together.
 

lepirate
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 541
Merit: 500


Garbochock


View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:19:10 AM
 #5

Haha, I think they've read a post about it on BitcoinTalk and then gone to BI with it! Cheesy
vandeam
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 187
Merit: 100



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:29:42 AM
 #6

Great News! NOW FIX IT!  Angry

 Tongue

█≣≣≣MULTIVERSUM≣≣≣█▐4th GenerationRelational BlockchainPre-ICO-Starts on 01 March,2018 until 31 March 2018
        WHITE PAPER                  ANN THREAD                                        3rd part blockchain applications infrastructure
✔     Reddit     ✔     Medium     ✔     Facebook          Telegram     ✔     Twitter     ✔
kjlimo
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1002


View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM
 #7

Sell sell sell (to me)... bummer no dip in price.

Coinbase for selling BTCs or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
PM me with any questions on these sites!  Happy to help!
Rygon
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 520
Merit: 500


View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:02:25 PM
 #8

Miners aren't going to devalue the coins they already hold or are planning on acquiring, by crashing the network. Furthermore, I think one of the primary drivers of mining is to exchange old bitcoins for fresh ones with not traceability.
Akka
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:11:28 PM
 #9

Come on.

Are this "researchers" completely retarded?

That's how the proof of work system works. That's one of the fundamentals of Bitcoin. Are those "researchers" writing a Press release without even reading the Wikipedia article about Bitcoin.

Wonder what those guys "research" normally.

Edit: Obiously it was only the media that wrote Bullsh***. So everthing as above but at the Media.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
BlackBison
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 253
Merit: 250



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:15:26 PM
 #10

Although the risk is greatly exaggerated, in fairness to the authors it is a new 'attack combo' they are outlining that has not been discussed before. It is essentially a modified, more complex version of the 51% attack that might require only 25% of the network hashrate.

In the end though its still a negligible risk imo.

HeliKopterBen
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 622
Merit: 500



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:47:44 PM
 #11

Its not the researchers who are blowing it out of proportion, its the media.  Im sure there are several variations of a "majority" attack but they all are very similar in nature and the risks are also similar in nature.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
FeedbackLoop
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 742
Merit: 500



View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:04:31 PM
 #12


I sure hope it cools down the exchange rate a little bit... I'm not done padding my portfolio with Bitcoin. Unfortunately (for me  Grin) I think media is quite warm on Bitcoin currently.


StarfishPrime
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 358
Merit: 250


View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:06:40 PM
 #13

Too bad - it was looking like all this 'bitcoin is broken' FUD might provide a final buying opportunity under $250. Not to be.

The Chinese are clearly not falling for this nonsense. Smiley



                         
    ¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

.
TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
.
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
Arvicco
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Activity: 574
Merit: 501


Please bear with me


View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 04:08:06 PM
 #14

Although the risk is greatly exaggerated, in fairness to the authors it is a new 'attack combo' they are outlining that has not been discussed before. It is essentially a modified, more complex version of the 51% attack that might require only 25% of the network hashrate.

In the end though its still a negligible risk imo.

I think this IS a 51% attack in disguise, and the scenario it describes is based on a faulty assumption.

Not only does this attack require at least 25% of the network to even start it, the attackers need to somehow coopt or trick additional 26% of miners to join them in the attack. It is all based on the assumption that the miners are "selfish" to the point of happily joining the attack for a minuscule short term benefit regardless of any long-term consequences. Such as potential destruction of the very network they are deriving their income from.

So, in reality this should play out like this. One of the major pools (such as BTCGuild or Eligius) suddenly starts acting weird, announces an intention to screw everyone and take over the network. Not only that, they invite everyone else to join their Evil Empire asap. "Selfish miners", out of their natural greed and malice, abandon the "honest" network and join up in droves until the "evil network" reaches 51%, overpowers honest miners and starts wrecking chaos...

How realistic is this scenario? Would not it be more realistic for the miners to move from the "rogue" pool instead, depriving it of any hashpower it previously held?

Why is anyone even discussing it seriously as something "novel" is beyond me...

hacknoid
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Activity: 415
Merit: 250


Proud Canuck


View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 06:23:27 PM
 #15

Apparently now they have a "dumbed down" explanation that they wrote in their blog on, of all places, Business Insider (didn't know BI had blogs from CS researchers..)

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-why-bitcoin-is-broken-2013-11

This whole things sounds fishy to me.  Not what they detail, but in the fact of how they released it so publicly.  Also the fact that they gave no notice to the developers that they found this and were planning on publicizing it:

I'm short on time, and this was announced to the public without advanced notice to e.g. the bitcoin-security list. Making an informed response fast is hard.

IIRC, there was an issue found a few months ago that had a patched version of bitcoin-qt coded and released before the bug itself was announced.  Wouldn't that have been a more prudent option?

This sounds like, at best, some guys that are trying to get as much spotlight as possible, and at worst, a planned hit from the sectors most impacted by Bitcoin, which shall remain - anonymous.   Wink

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
vm1990
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1000


bloginhell.me


View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 11:33:32 PM
 #16

look it the 51% attack... and weve known about it for how long... researches are getting dumber and dumber these days.... could you imagine if satoshi was a researcher. he would have cured cancer 3 times over by now

▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
.JOIN THE CLUB !
 Bitcointalk.club
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
BLOG:  www.bloginhell.me        BTC: 192tyaiwWxJ2UhSxUCbQW4JuA3Le5CEhWH                 Free 5GB Storage Cloud.Bloginhell.me 
freedomno1
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1002


Activity: 9001 == OP


View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 11:34:18 PM
 #17

Intro to research fail 101, there are a ton

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
50% discount pre-ICO NOW!
CryptoBeggar
Member
**
Offline Offline

Activity: 119
Merit: 10


View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:25:00 AM
 #18

The risk is real and out there. Only 1 % is required to act maliciously, but this 1 % miner would have very little chance of successfully finding one covert and one succeeding block before the other 99 % does.

First MasterCoin protocol transaction -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.msg2940318#msg2940318; please refer to thread disclosed for more information
freedomno1
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1002


Activity: 9001 == OP


View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 07:59:21 AM
 #19

The risk is real and out there. Only 1 % is required to act maliciously, but this 1 % miner would have very little chance of successfully finding one covert and one succeeding block before the other 99 % does.

As an aside the picture they choose sure looks a lot like Josh wish sunglasses lol
That or I have BFL vision

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
50% discount pre-ICO NOW!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!