Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else called up by "Butterfly Labs" offering codes - possible scam?  (Read 2184 times)
Holographic (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Global Currency for Global Unity

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:47:34 PM

Hi,

I am a first day customer of Butterfly Labs, and have been mining away for months now.

Today I was called up by a friendly and polite guy who claimed he was from Butterfly Labs. He asked how my miner was doing and told me about a promotional code to receive a 20% discount on further purchases from Butterfly Labs. I politely told him that I would not be doing any more business with Butterfly Labs, and explained why. Although I have seen a decent ROI on my purchase with them, the way the company has handled refund requests, the extreme delays, and ofc Josh' behaviour on these forums, has made my choice quite easy to be honest.

The guy had an Indian accent and called from this number: +67233108. It seems like a short number for an international call, but that's all that showed up on my phone when he called. He knew my full name and he knew I had purchased a BFL miner. At first I thought it was the famous Microsoft scam...

What I found strange about this whole thing, was the fact that after I had explained that he could keep the promotional code or give it to someone else, he proceeded to ask about my other mining purchases. As in, what other purchases have I made etc etc. I told him I had a 550 GH/s miner from KNC and som stuff from ASICMINER, and he sounded excited and said "*something something* powerful!" ...I couldn't quite hear what he said. The phone call wound down and we hung up. Then I started to think: wtf was this all about? I probably shouldn't have said anything about that, as the whole conversation just felt a bit off.

So my question is this: Has anyone else got a call from these guys offering codes for 20% discount? Is it normal? Did BFL actually hire an Indian call center to push their miners?

Or...was it a scam attempt? What would have happened if I got excited about this code and I wanted it? They would want my email and more info I suspect. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but after the call I realized they had my full name and would therefore know my address and know where my mining rigs are. I'm setting up traps!! Tongue

Either way, screw these guys. If he was a scammer, then screw him, and if he was a legit Butterfly representative, then definitely screw him...give my cousin and my friend their refunds!

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate it if anyone has any input. Sorry if this is the wrong section, It is related to BFL though Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 07:42:30 PM

A friend of mine got the same phone call as well.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:04:51 PM

It's probably legitimate... I received the call as well last week and was only offered 10% despite being a Day 1 order as well as having other orders.  My guy was definitely Filipino.
milone

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

CGWatcher & CGRemote

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 11:16:22 PM

I would strongly recommend to not give any information on mining hardware you have, including confirming whether or not you have BFL hardware. Whether this guy is legitimate or not, he has some information on you which may include the shipping address from BFL. Telling somebody that you have hundreds of Gh/s hardware might be opening yourself up to a visitor in the middle of the night or while nobody is home.

CGWatcher, a GUI/monitor for CGMiner & BFGMiner: http://www.cgwatcher.com
CGRemote, a remote mining dashboard for all of your miners: http://www.minerremote.com
BTC: 12TAYjmSrdDHLNpmix2MG6y3R868SMM7Fx    LTC: LM6Un6hZvPzLBggJWiAVG6E6w2GfaHukXY
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 11:54:13 PM

I would strongly recommend to not give any information on mining hardware you have, including confirming whether or not you have BFL hardware. Whether this guy is legitimate or not, he has some information on you which may include the shipping address from BFL. Telling somebody that you have hundreds of Gh/s hardware might be opening yourself up to a visitor in the middle of the night or while nobody is home.

Hundreds of GH doesn't mean much anymore these days.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 12:00:05 AM

It's probably legitimate... I received the call as well last week and was only offered 10% despite being a Day 1 order as well as having other orders.  My guy was definitely Filipino.

The best move for BFL's owners probably would be to sell the company to an overseas investor and disappear at this point. Especially if that PCI-E card takes 12 months to show up. They may have already done this, or maybe just outsourced their phonelines so they don't have to deal with abuse.
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 12:05:38 AM

It's probably legitimate... I received the call as well last week and was only offered 10% despite being a Day 1 order as well as having other orders.  My guy was definitely Filipino.

The best move for BFL's owners probably would be to sell the company to an overseas investor and disappear at this point. Especially if that PCI-E card takes 12 months to show up. They may have already done this, or maybe just outsourced their phonelines so they don't have to deal with abuse.

At this point, I hope there is no best move for BFL Cheesy and no BFL didn't get a dime from me but i just hate the way they screwed everyone and got away with it...well besides the no returning customers part lol

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 01:02:57 AM

Weather it's a telephone call, letter, email, telegram, text message or a loud haler - if the words Butterfly Labs are mentioned anywhere you can rest assured it's a scam  Cheesy

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:04:09 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 03:32:32 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Wow BFL doing cold calling of customers.  The same ones they already screwed over?  I wonder how bad the Monarch presales are.
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 10:16:37 AM

This shows that how desperate is BFL for orders, no body trust them any more and don't buy anything from them please Smiley
muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:18:27 PM

Weather it's a telephone call, letter, email, telegram, text message or a loud haler - if the words Butterfly Labs are mentioned anywhere you can rest assured it's a scam  Cheesy

Qft
JungleBook

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:48:47 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.

I am now quite certain this was a legitimate call from someone representing BFL, and not someone planning a house invasion! See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325638.new

Orders must be drying up and BFL must be getting desperate. Poor guys at that callcenter, they must get a lot of static from disgruntled customers lol.

What is josh wearing Ninja Top?Americas next top Chef outfit? Very funny image
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 04:06:47 AM

it would be insane to buy from bfl having much better choices such as knc. my worthless jalapeno is still in the bfl queue since may and the useless paypal rejected a refund request, now my only option for a refund is my credit union. on the other hand i am happily mining with my jupiter which was ordered later and received only a few days late.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: