Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:34:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2xSATA to 6pin PCIE instead of 1xSATA to 6pin PCIE (adapter for Risers)  (Read 145 times)
Morama (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 44

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:00:52 AM

Hello miners,

i know that there are many threads about PCIE risers. I already use the "better ones" VER008/009 with PCIE-connectors and 4 capacitors and and and...
Here is my question (short):
Is a Dual-SATA to 6-pin PCIE adapter (i have some Akasa AK-CBPW13-15 here)

somehow better than a One-SATA to 6-pin PCIE

for powering risers?

Longer description, why I have to use these adapters:
I have a rig with 6 Cards (GTX 1060 atm) and not enough PCI-E Power-Cables at my PSU (Corsair HX1000i) to run 6 cards with risers.
Each card uses already one 6-pin PCIE cable - plugged directly into the card.
Now i have two of the eight PCI-E connectors left at the PSU, but I have to connect all 6 risers - no suprise.
My PCI-E risers have 6-pin PCIE connectors. -> 4 risers left to get connected by a powercable...
Now i want to connect one (as described in some tutorials to avoid overload/overheat in the cables or somewhere else) riser per PSU-SATA (or -molex) -cable.
I know, that the GTX 1060 don't need much power, but they will be substituted with more powerful cards in the near future.
The max power draw for SATA-connectors (and cables) is lower than the 75W of the PCI-E slots/PCI-E 6 pin limit.
I also know that simple SATA to 6pin PCIE adapters also working good for the most people, but i want to be on the save side.
The question is: Are (see Akasa image above) Dual-SATA adapters are the better choice by bringing a higher security-level into my rig-build, due to power seperation into 2 SATA-connectors?

Thanks for your answer (and sorry for my bad english) Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 01:39:21 PM

Don't use Sata to PCIE in general. Satas cannot provide enough power without overheating and melting (been there and done that).

If you are planning on powering on GPU from two SATA cables off of the PSU then you may have a better chance.

But the general rule of thumb is never use SATA cables.

PCIE to PCIE only and you will be safe.

Merit me or don't.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:08:09 PM

The problem with SATA connectors is they are not intended to deliver a high amp 12V load. There is only a single 12V wire that's also typically a smaller gauge than cables for PCI-E. Spreading the load over two connectors is better than using a single SATA connector, but if you do, connect the dual splitter connectors to the same SATA cable on the PSU and only use one riser per cable.

Using 4-pin Molex and PCI-E cables is a better choice. On modular PSU's the SATA and 4-pin Molex ports are often interchangeable and you can order extra cables from the manufacturer or on Amazon.
Morama (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 44

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:40:00 PM

Thanks for your answers.
I want to add some additional informations about my two Rigs.
The cards are limited to 65% powerlimit for max efficiency.
I only use one card per cable. / one cable per riser
The PSUs are:
Rig1: FSP Aurum PT 1200W with 8 PCIE-Connectors
Rig2: Corsair HX1000i with 8 PCIE-Connectors.

This week i will also switch from a wooden Rig to a aluminum one.  Grin

Don't use Sata to PCIE in general. Satas cannot provide enough power without overheating and melting (been there and done that).

If you are planning on powering on GPU from two SATA cables off of the PSU then you may have a better chance.

But the general rule of thumb is never use SATA cables.

PCIE to PCIE only and you will be safe.
Yes I dont want a melting SATA-connector for sure.
But how much power will be drawn by the PCIE-Slot with GTX 1060 (75W by powerlimit) or GTX 1070 (100W by powerlimit)? Are there any measurements available?
Two cables per card isn't possible due to the fact that the PSU doesn't have 8 PCIE-cables so I can't use 2 cables per card. One cable but 2 SATA connectors per Riser is possible. PCIE to PCIE doesnt make sence, because if I have enough PCIE-Connectors, i dont need adapters Wink

The problem with SATA connectors is they are not intended to deliver a high amp 12V load. There is only a single 12V wire that's also typically a smaller gauge than cables for PCI-E. Spreading the load over two connectors is better than using a single SATA connector, but if you do, connect the dual splitter connectors to the same SATA cable on the PSU and only use one riser per cable.

Using 4-pin Molex and PCI-E cables is a better choice. On modular PSU's the SATA and 4-pin Molex ports are often interchangeable and you can order extra cables from the manufacturer or on Amazon.

Very good idea with the additional cables. I didn't consider to buy additional Cables yet. Smiley
In general I have two Rigs with the same "problem".

I hope both PSU-manufacturers sell extra cables for these PSUs.
The question is also how much power each card will draw over the riser...
A GTX 1070 with a reduced power limit and 100W max consumption can be fully provide the energy by its 8-pin PCI-E connector - But no one knows how much will drawn over the PCIE Slot and how much over the power connector of the card.  Same question ...

At first i will change the 1SATA-6pPCIE adapters to the 2SATA-6pPCIE adapters. One cable per Riser!
CryptoPlay

Activity: 202
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:04:46 PM

If i were you ill choose Sata to risers and Molex adapter to GPU.
Or better, Sata to Riser and extra cable to GPU.

If your GPU has enough juice from its cable, it wont bother the riser for power. Most problems happened due to low cable quality or wrong assembly.

https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-2065.png
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:51:56 AM

Hello miners,

i know that there are many threads about PCIE risers. I already use the "better ones" VER008/009 with PCIE-connectors and 4 capacitors and and and...
Here is my question (short):
Is a Dual-SATA to 6-pin PCIE adapter (i have some Akasa AK-CBPW13-15 here)

somehow better than a One-SATA to 6-pin PCIE

for powering risers?

I'm focused on this question.
Since we don't know about how GPUs power management work (which power source would be load at max, PCIe bus or PCIe Power), so yes using SATA is risky. For honest, I use SATA for powering my risers, but limit it to one rail one risers, running for a few months without issue so far.

Then about your question, Dual-SATA to 6-pin PCIe adapter or One-SATA to 6-pin PCIe better to use for powering a riser.

If those Dual-SATA to 6-pin use two SATA connector on the same rail it isn't different with you are using One-SATA to 6-pin, except use Dual-SATA to 6-pin powered by SATA connector from two different PSU rail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: