Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:02:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs Refund and Paypal  (Read 747 times)
FreshCookedBasil (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

Hi,

I'm posting to find out if anyone has had success within the last month or so of getting a refund from Butterfly Labs? My payment was made through Paypal using an associated checking account. I have read many posts on here and here are the steps I've taken so far.

1. Emailed BFL a request for refund. Denied with the usual they don't do refunds.

2. Filed a complaint with the BBB. After I rejected their typical no refunds response, they never responded.

3. Opened a dispute/claim with Paypal. It was immediately closed because of the 45 day limit on this type of claim. I made the order back in April. I've been on the phone with them the last 3 weeks trying to get someone to help, the case was reopened, and was waiting for the sellers response, and there was none. Instead of closing the case and refunding in my favor, the case was just closed. I sent an email to david.marcus@paypal.com and
 executiveoffice@paypal.com pleading my case, and this was their response, "After a thorough review of your claim, we have determined we cannot continue with this investigation because your complaint was filed 45 or more days after the original transaction date."

4. Opened a case with my bank, but it is past their 60 day limit on claims of this nature. Dead end.

5. I've also filed a case with the Kansas Attorney General. Still waiting to hear anything from that. But not hopeful.

At this point I've pretty much given up on getting my money back. I would really appreciate any advice or similar recent experiences that might help. Thanks in advance.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RW02

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:26:01 PM

sounds like youve tried everything is your paypal linked directly to you bank or does it go through a credit card company... if its direct to your bank account youve pretty much had it
the only way to recover some money would be to see the pre order on here and hope someones feeling rich and gives you a ok price.
the only other way would be to wait for the device to turn up.
chrism1

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:30:37 PM

Sucks to hear chap. I hate to say it but the 45 day window is the only thing that matters- I've had dealings with paypal chargebacks for years. Once 45 days is past its irreversible. They wont help you. I've opened claims on folks on the 44th day, if they couldnt deliver by then Too bad-its an open claim I'm filing until the issue is resolved- no other options. They pretty much say to me, if you dont file within 45 days then you must not care anymore. If you paid by credit card you can open a claim with your company and they will deal with paypal. its the only recourse you have after 45 days, thats only if payment made via credit card.
sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:40:34 PM

which unit and how much did you pay for it?

Did you hear anything back from AG's Office yet?  Did they say anything or give you any advice?

Thanks!

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
FreshCookedBasil (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:41:33 PM

sounds like youve tried everything is your paypal linked directly to you bank or does it go through a credit card company... if its direct to your bank account youve pretty much had it
the only way to recover some money would be to see the pre order on here and hope someones feeling rich and gives you a ok price.
the only other way would be to wait for the device to turn up.

Unfortunately no credit card was involved. I'm not sure I'll even get the device. My order has been put on hold since the Paypal dispute was opened and hasn't been taken off hold after the dispute has been closed.

which unit and how much did you pay for it?

Did you hear anything back from AG's Office yet?  Did they say anything or give you any advice?

Thanks!

I'd rather not put any too specific information on here. I don't want BFL to figure out who I am based on the info I give out, because given their track record, they don't put the customer first and I don't want any repercussions. Suffice it to say it was a substantial order for what I could afford.
Nothing from the AG's office yet.
glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:21:38 PM

That sound pretty bad.
It's true that if you didn't pay by credit card then your options are limited.
I learned my lesson a while back and always try to use a credit card. Even if you have poor history you can still get a card with high Interest charges and pay the balance off straight away. This way you still get the buyer protection.

I had a nightmare with Paypal where I bought a large item on Ebay for my mother - she used her credit card. Unfortunately I forgot the card was still linked and a couple of months later Paypal reverted to this card for some random reason. 4 small payments went through and the bank called the old dear about the transactions. Understandably she didn't know what they were and told the bank as much. Then a few hours later she mentioned it to me and I put 2+2 together and told her what had happened. So.... I sent the old dear the money by bank transfer and she called her bank to say the transactions were o.k. after all.
However 2 months later my Paypal account is screwed, I had to repay the sellers, I already paid the old dear and she did not even get a refund from the credit card company. What a joke.

Paypal can be o.k. until something like this happens and then when it does.....You're Screwed!
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:29:13 PM

Hi,

I'm posting to find out if anyone has had success within the last month or so of getting a refund from Butterfly Labs? My payment was made through Paypal using an associated checking account. I have read many posts on here and here are the steps I've taken so far.

1. Emailed BFL a request for refund. Denied with the usual they don't do refunds.

2. Filed a complaint with the BBB. After I rejected their typical no refunds response, they never responded.

3. Opened a dispute/claim with Paypal. It was immediately closed because of the 45 day limit on this type of claim. I made the order back in April. I've been on the phone with them the last 3 weeks trying to get someone to help, the case was reopened, and was waiting for the sellers response, and there was none. Instead of closing the case and refunding in my favor, the case was just closed. I sent an email to david.marcus@paypal.com and
 executiveoffice@paypal.com pleading my case, and this was their response, "After a thorough review of your claim, we have determined we cannot continue with this investigation because your complaint was filed 45 or more days after the original transaction date."

4. Opened a case with my bank, but it is past their 60 day limit on claims of this nature. Dead end.

5. I've also filed a case with the Kansas Attorney General. Still waiting to hear anything from that. But not hopeful.

At this point I've pretty much given up on getting my money back. I would really appreciate any advice or similar recent experiences that might help. Thanks in advance.

That sucks, how much did you pay?
FreshCookedBasil (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:11:38 PM

More than I want to admit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: