Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:00:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-05 WSJ: Bitcoin Comes Under Senate Scrutiny  (Read 2112 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 06:56:36 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/11/05/bitcoin-comes-under-senate-scrutiny/

By RYAN TRACY

Bitcoin is about to get some time in the Capitol Hill spotlight.

A pair of Senate committees will hold hearings on the policy issues raised by virtual currencies in the coming weeks, according to Senate aides, a development that comes amid growing attention from government regulators to digital forms of money.

Bitcoin, a currency that is essentially a computer code and is not backed by any government, has seen its value surge this year because of  interest from retailers and investors. But government agencies have also stepped up their oversight of the loosely regulated currency amid fears it could be used to facilitate criminal activity.

The two Senate hearings – the first to focus on bitcoin – are likely to examine how regulators are responding to the new forms of payment, the aides said. Potential points of discussion include how financial-industry regulators will watch over investment in the new currencies and how virtual currencies might impede tax collection or facilitate trade in illegal products out of the sight of law enforcement.

No dates have been set for the hearings and the witness lists are not final, but representatives of the government and private sector are expected to testify. The hearings will be held by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs and by a subpart of the Senate Banking Committee, the aides said.

By summoning officials from the executive branch to talk about bitcoin, lawmakers are signaling that virtual currencies should be a priority. Sens. Tom Carper (D., Del.) and Tom Coburn (R., Okla.), the top lawmakers on the Homeland Security panel, have also asked several financial-industry regulators and law-enforcement agencies for information about their policies on virtual currencies.

In an Aug. 12 letter, the senators cited a number of policy concerns, including a Texas case this year in which a man was charged with running a bitcoin-related Ponzi scheme and a May Government Accountability Office report that said the use of virtual currencies could lead to lost tax revenue.

“As with all emerging technologies, the federal government must make sure that potential threats and risks are dealt with swiftly; however, we must also ensure that rash or uninformed actions don’t stifle a potentially valuable technology,” Messrs. Carper and Coburn wrote in their letter, which went to the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Reserve, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Department of Justice and the Treasury Department.

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:28:43 PM

Senate wants to stop Bitcoin? BitcoinChina don't give a fuck!

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Alty

Activity: 714

RISE Project Manager

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:32:27 PM

Shocked
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:37:24 PM

This is fantastic news for Bitcoin. I predict that they won't recommend any restrictions that would seriously hamper the use of Bitcoins in the US. They will just reinforce the AML and other laws that are already on the books. The ponzi scheme and silk road bust are proof enough that law enforcement can still do its job in bitcoin-related crimes.

I'm curious to see if the Fed will testify though...

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:59:04 PM

This is fantastic news for Bitcoin. I predict that they won't recommend any restrictions that would seriously hamper the use of Bitcoins in the US. They will just reinforce the AML and other laws that are already on the books. The ponzi scheme and silk road bust are proof enough that law enforcement can still do its job in bitcoin-related crimes.

yup Janet Yellen or the Bernanke

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

yup Janet Yellen or the Bernanke

Unlikely.
They are running a confidence game.
Fear shows a lack of confidence.
They will operate behind the scenes, as they are.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 12:54:54 AM

Nah just want to make sure they get a good cut (taxes). Capital gains mainly.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:58:38 AM

"we must also ensure that rash or uninformed actions don’t stifle a potentially valuable technology"

Hmmmm.... I wonder what the value is going to be?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 02:24:08 AM

Nah just want to make sure they get a good cut (taxes). Capital gains mainly.

And FBAR for the folks storing coins overseas that think they are anonymous in the land of the NSA.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Gufeng

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:08:25 AM

Hmmmm.... I wonder what the value is going to be?
any tips?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: