Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:48:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring BTC through different wallets makes it anonymous?  (Read 468 times)
papasmurf (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:15:30 PM

I was just thinking after reading an article about how easy it is to trace bitcoin
back to where you bought it and who you are.
Say you buy 1btc from a website where you verify and send your id, bank account
details confirmed etc. etc. this is obviously not very anonymous, so potentially, could
you just make, say 5 different wallets, only 1 of which is connected to your account
on the exchange site, then just send your received bitcoin through all 5 leaving it in
the 5th one.
Surely this would mean it would be incredibly hard to trace back to the
first purchase? This is all theoretical, I don't even own bitcoins, but is just an interesting
idea, I'm sure it has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything. So do you think this
would work to make sure your bitcoins were always unassociated with you and anonymous?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:22:54 PM

It will help a bit, your transaction is still connected in a straight line with the others, someone having your data from the first address wouldn't know it's your address, but they could assume it.
Using a mixing service is way more effective.
papasmurf (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:28:09 PM

hmm, interesting reading, thanks Smiley
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:36:21 PM

What about transferring funds to a random Gambling account.  Then transfer internally from one gambling account to another (within the same site) then withdrawal to a different wallet.  Technically only the merchant would know that there was a transfer between accounts.

Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:39:14 PM

What about transferring funds to a random Gambling account.  Then transfer internally from one gambling account to another (within the same site) then withdrawal to a different wallet.  Technically only the merchant would know that there was a transfer between accounts.
Depends on the inner workings of that gambling website. A lot of websites will mix up the coins anyway, e.g. inputs.io.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: