Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:51:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which bot(s?) were used during the Binance hack exactly ?  (Read 139 times)
Dreykku (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:00:34 PM

I've been trying to know the name of the bot that allowed the "hacking" of binance several weeks ago.
I've read everywhere that's a "bot" or different "popular bots" people like to use, but I can't find which one it is. Was it a specific bot ?  Or was it several different bots and it's just the fact of using API key that allowed hackers to get into those people accounts ?

I've been trying a bot called cryptohopper recently, and I wanted to know if it was in any way related to that. I have 2FA protection on it (the bot and binance), I don't know if it would have changed anything if I had used it at the times and is enough to prevent this kind of hacking to happen again.

The exact infos on this so called bot seem very hard to find for some reason, so I wonder if anyone knew something else about it.

Thank you.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 3856

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 03:32:34 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

1. Binance wasn't hacked. The accounts of some users did.
2. Yes, the hackers used the API key of the accounts to maintain access to some functions of their accounts.
3. Probably wasn't necessarily a bot, but the hackers used a software that did the exchanging of coins/tokens.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pump to Moon

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 03:48:08 AM

2. Yes, the hackers used the API key of the accounts to maintain access to some functions of their accounts.
3. Probably wasn't necessarily a bot, but the hackers used a software that did the exchanging of coins/tokens.
Is your words legit, do you have any proof?
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 3856

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 05:07:01 AM

I can't provide proof as of now as I'm only on my mobile phone, but you can easily Google it. Changpeng Zhao(Binance CEO) explained how the hack attempt happened on a Medium article if I remember correctly.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mithrim

Activity: 434
Merit: 436

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:49:47 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2018, 01:40:00 PM by mithrim
Merited by paxmao (1)

I can't provide proof as of now as I'm only on my mobile phone, but you can easily Google it. Changpeng Zhao(Binance CEO) explained how the hack attempt happened on a Medium article if I remember correctly.

Absolutely correct, Binance made several posts on Medium already, including a Hacker Bounty of $250,000 a few days later.

In addition, the Support reacted in an exemplary manner by informing as best as they could via Telegram and Twitter. The initial FUD couldn't be avoided since Binance itself didn't know what had happened and needed time to figure things out but the very professionally assured everyone that no funds were lost. They even reverted all the trades so noone lost any money (nor made any Cheesy).

They cleared things up pretty fast:
On Mar 7, UTC 14:58–14:59, within this 2 minute period, the VIA/BTC market experienced abnormal trading activity. Our automatic risk management system was triggered, and all withdrawals were halted immediately.

This was part of a large scale phishing and stealing attempt.

So far: All funds are safe and no funds have been stolen.

[...]within the aforementioned 2 minute period, the phishers used the API keys, placed a large number of market buys on the VIA/BTC market, pushing the price high, while 31 pre-deposited accounts were there selling VIA at the top. This was an attempt to move the BTC from the phished accounts to the 31 accounts. Withdrawal requests were then attempted from these accounts immediately afterwards.

The Binance risk management system deactivated withdrawals automatically, so all funds were safe. In addition, the VIA coins deposited by the alleged phishers were also frozen and are now lost to them.
rivkavender

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 03:44:00 PM

just like everyone is saying binance wasnt hacked as of recently and alot of people create FUD to destroy binances reputation since there is alot of competition

Just like what just happened to verge!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: